Where Have You Been In Your Van Today?

Our use case was we wanted a van for fish and chips by the sea so we finished this weekend doing just that down on the south coast at Calshot.

View attachment 234541

I suspected I would be outside so I went prepared, however MrsR didn't but solved it by nicking my wooly hat :unsure: Needless to say the younguns decided to stay in the van and insisted I push the magic heating button :rolleyes: (latent heat, sadly we don't have an independent cabin heater)

To be fair they did leave eventually for stone skimming by moonlight

View attachment 234542

Sometimes it's the little "what the hell let's go" outings that make it all worthwhile not the big planned trips isn't it?
Looks great and not too far from me. Can you park there right next to the beach easily?

Sometimes it's the little "what the hell let's go" outings that make it all worthwhile not the big planned trips isn't it?
Totally @roadtripper !

Like you I wanted the van primarily as a weekend and spur of the moment vehicle...
...not a vehicle (over-)designed for long trips that otherwise hardly gets used. If I wanted it for the latter I'd get a motorhome! ;-)
And when I do longer trips it will probably be in good summer weather so I will be mostly outside and don't need a big vehicle (eg motorhome) anyway.

Looks great and not too far from me. Can you park there right next to the beach easily?
On a quiet out of season Sunday evening yes, but that spot is really the access to the beach huts so would be incredibly rude to park there when even mildly quiet during the day.

The run down to Calshot Spit has a lot of beach huts but there is an area by the "lagoon" that's rough parking (pay and display still), there's also a tarmac carpark (with blue badge bays and ice cream van) and towards the activity centre there is a camping area you can book. There is also a private (non council) car park in the activity centre for the sailing club and climbing wall etc.

There is also the Castle on the spit which is well worth a visit but only opens occasionally.

Last edited:
On a quiet out of season Sunday evening yes, but that spot is really the access to the beach huts so would be incredibly rude to park there when even mildly quiet during the day.

The run down to Calshot Spit has a lot of beach huts but there is an area by the "lagoon" that's rough parking (pay and display still), there's also a tarmac carpark (with blue badge bays and ice cream van) and towards the activity centre there is a camping area you can book. There is also a private (non council) car park in the activity centre for the sailing club and climbing wall etc.

There is also the Castle on the spit which is well worth a visit but only opens occasionally.

Amazing thanks, yes that spot does look too good to be true!

We’ve been to a few different places over the last few days but none of the stops have been photogenic for the van.
Vejer de la Frontera
Cadiz
Jerez de la Frontera
Today we have come down to Peurto de Santa Maria for a break from walking around towns.
Then we went for a walk round the town and did 4.2miles
Anyway, here for the day and probably tonight.IMG_8350.jpegIMG_6320.jpeg

Back to the Leisuredrive Campervan works for them to fit the awning C-rail I bought this week, excellent and rapid service, they also did some resealing around one of the High Top side windows which had been letting in a bit of rain. The team at Leisuredrive are always great to deal with, ready to assist with any queries I have about the van.

Recommend a visit to the roof of the Lingotto building in Turin, a former Fiat factory & roof top test track - v interesting & just down the road is the National Motor Museum which was great and all signs in English.
One word of warning is lots of reports of vehicle break-ins via window smashing & I witnessed the aftermath & arrival of Police for one…not my van but a German families VW Golf.
14B46908-4449-4C55-B178-E14AA9A76AF4.jpeg

09A90A65-B667-45D7-9A18-285A509A26B3.jpeg

Last edited:
Back