Where Have You Been In Your Van Today?

There a lake by my house i see the do some sailing going on, its not very big lake, i think its called Upton warren, wychbold ?

Stoke to Warrington and back to see the outlaws and at 50mph through the damned smart motorway roadworks from j16-20, what's smart about that other than mpg which I didn't look at anyway,:confused:

Weekend away in Cornwall, drove a fair few hours across the country Friday in the van. We managed 33mpg coming down it what felt to be a heavily loaded van.
IMG_1305.jpg

Spent Saturday doing Grufalo type things in the forest around the cabin. Today we went chip munching down to Newquay & Fistral.

IMG_1300.JPG

I was very tempted to hire a wet suit & board and booking a lesson but I could bare to put on someone else's urine retaining wetsuit.
The thought did cross my mind to buy a nice steamer but I need a new drysuit first. Next time I'll be out there though, if not on a board in a Sea Kayak.

E61A4EB6-BFC3-49F8-B526-A92CAB8D0957.jpg

Got the drive back tomorrow with a few stops on the way. A through clean and day spent removing crisps & grapes on Tuesday is a must though!

Last edited:
Visiting my mum in Dorset, 42mpg lightly loaded down the A1, best mpg yet (9k miles).
Been to garden centre today parked next to T6 Beach and T5 Kombi.

This was a few weeks ago now but well and truly stuck!

Diff lock helped a little but ultimately let down by rubber.UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_42cd.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_42ce.jpg

There seems to be a bit of a theme here with 4motion veedubs being pulled out of sticky situations. So we now know they can't cope with sand or mud.

I am not saying it applies in this case but through work we tend to find that 4 wheel drive sometimes gives people the confidence to go onto surfaces that their vehicles may not be up to getting off.

Unfortunately we can only advise people who are stuck on beaches with an incoming tide to leave their vehicle and call their breakdown service.

My Subaru Outback was ace on a Coastguard call out today; goes way further than most soft roaders and I can fit plenty of others in too.

The van is very good but 4motion has its limits off road as its Haldex.
But I've breezed through mud that has bogged down others vans before and it's far better on roads too.

Know it's limits; it's still far superior to FWD.

It's the same with a lot of 4x4 vehicles some people believe that they will go anywhere, but whatever you drive there will always be 3-4 possible variants
1. The vehicle.
2. The person driving it and what their driving capabilities are.
3. Tyre choice.
4. Being able to read the terrain you are about to drive on, walk on it first if in doubt.

There seems to be a bit of a theme here with 4motion veedubs being pulled out of sticky situations. So we now know they can't cope with sand or mud.

I've concoqured far worse and lived to tell the tail but these tyres have definitely lost their bite. There is still plenty of tread remaining but not enough to bite the mud. I wouldn't have did me near if there was another choice and the Disco weren't about. There's also a chance I could have got out if the 4motion was left to scrabble out but the two was the better option.

I am not saying it applies in this case but through work we tend to find that 4 wheel drive sometimes gives people the confidence to go onto surfaces that their vehicles may not be up to getting off.

Unfortunately we can only advise people who are stuck on beaches with an incoming tide to leave their vehicle and call their breakdown service.

I've been out and assisted on local beaches in the past, the things the Romford Navy get up to is quite comical!

I'll be going back onto 19" summer tyres soon but next winter I'll be on a proper all terrain tyre with some bite.

What a morning! The van has brought me to A&E, ably piloted by Mrs DaveyB, as I had a slight mishap with a 9" angle grinder and it's diamond tipped blade whilst cutting a new door hole in the wall between my kitchen and living room. Blade bit, kicked back the angle grinder, and the still rotating blade twated me in the side of the head/ face.
Was an ugly fecker before, few more stitches ain't gonna hurt. Currently lying on a gurny in the hospital with plenty of painkillers, making a mess as I'm covered from head to toe in brick dust. Hope they don't send me a bill for the white sheet - cos I don't reckon it'll clean up!
Don't know what I am more angry about, being a t**t that really should know better, or the amount of claret that is going to need cleaning up once I finally get home. Got so much today on the renovations can ill afford several hours waiting to be stitched back up.

What a morning! The van has brought me to A&E, ably piloted by Mrs DaveyB, as I had a slight mishap with a 9" angle grinder and it's diamond tipped blade whilst cutting a new door hole in the wall between my kitchen and living room. Blade bit, kicked back the angle grinder, and the still rotating blade twated me in the side of the head/ face.
Was an ugly fecker before, few more stitches ain't gonna hurt. Currently lying on a gurny in the hospital with plenty of painkillers, making a mess as I'm covered from head to toe in brick dust. Hope they don't send me a bill for the white sheet - cos I don't reckon it'll clean up!
Don't know what I am more angry about, being a t**t that really should know better, or the amount of claret that is going to need cleaning up once I finally get home. Got so much today on the renovations can ill afford several hours waiting to be stitched back up.

Ouch! In the head, that could have gone really wrong!

Bloody hell m8 dont go doing things like that it hurts.
At least i will be able to notice who dayey b is when i come down to oxford for rails fitted.
6 '5 male scare on face and eye patch .
Take it easy chap its only a house

It's far too close to ending up with a permanent eye patch. So angry with myself it's untrue. Normally I'd make a wise crack about scars/ ruggedness' and how the ladies all like a chap who looks more distinguished - but not today as the wife has been awesome considering how she does not like the gory things like I do. Made sure she remains on the right side of the hospital bed at the moment - have done one of those reverse camera things with the phone so I can have a good look; It's not too pretty.

Back