Where do I start?

AlexWinstanley

I'm on the lookout for a 4-berth camper that can be used as a car during the day to and from work, only a few miles. VW T6's keep coming up and, although I keep getting told they're pricey and will only depreciate, I can't help but I think they seem ideal.
Just wondering if anyone can advise on what I should be looking out for? I'm thinking as low mileage as possible, newer model, engine size etc but have also seen stuff on type of alloys. Trying to keep the budget below £30,000 and have seen a few below that in person but not committed to buying yet as I need some expert advice!
Any ideas on what I should be looking for? Or whether I should be getting a panel van and paying for a conversion?
Would really appreciate the advice

I would recommend you hire one for a weekend to see if it works for you.
A T6 is a bit tight for sleeping in, if all 4 people are adult sized.
Also bear in mind that no modern diesel likes lots of short journeys - they all need a regular longer run.

Pete

Alloys are easy to change, LED headlights, on the other hand.......
Many on here have spent huge amounts of time and money upgrading the standard H4 headlights to try to achieve something close to the LED Headlights performance.
The H4's are barely safe at night.
I wouldn't part with £30K on a T6 unless it came with factory LED headlights.

I would recommend you hire one for a weekend to see if it works for you.
A T6 is a bit tight for sleeping in, if all 4 people are adult sized.
Also bear in mind that no modern diesel likes lots of short journeys - they all need a regular longer run.

Pete

Thanks Pete - it would be for myself, my wife and 2 children. We're also pretty short too which will hopefully help!

I'm not the right person to advise you on buying a van to use for use as a camper, many others on her are far more knowledgeable in that area.
My T6 is my daily use vehicle, as you are thinking of, and the biggest letdown I have experienced is the standard headlights. (search on here for H4 headlights to see what I mean!)
As with any vehicle I'd advise you to look for a full service history.
Good luck!

I'm not the right person to advise you on buying a van to use for use as a camper, many others on her are far more knowledgeable in that area.
My T6 is my daily use vehicle, as you are thinking of, and the biggest letdown I have experienced is the standard headlights. (search on here for H4 headlights to see what I mean!)
As with any vehicle I'd advise you to look for a full service history.
Good luck!

Cheers Dave - much appreciated

Yep, I would agree with whats been said... hire one and see if it works for you first.

Buying a base van and then getting it converted would cost you 40k upwards for something decent...

you mention depreciation... thats going to happen with pretty much any vehicle... but whats the cost of precious happy times and making memories that will last a lifetime... Good luck on your journey

Yep, I would agree with whats been said... hire one and see if it works for you first.

Buying a base van and then getting it converted would cost you 40k upwards for something decent...

you mention depreciation... thats going to happen with pretty much any vehicle... but whats the cost of precious happy times and making memories that will last a lifetime... Good luck on your journey

Cheers Jason - my thoughts too! Do you have any advice on milage and what might be too much? Trying not to look too much over 50,000

Hi ....4 in a van even LWB would be tight..my grandkids would much rather sleep in the awning tent ...more of an adventure for them Which makes camping fun for all.....Enjoy the journey :)

Its difficult to know what you really want from the van... is it long term or just a year or two... is it for UK trips or longer continental touring...

Already converted campers are cheaper but then there will be a list of things it will be missing which some people find important... would they be important for you...? Led headlights, barn doors or tailgate, 4WD or not, 150bhp minimum, decent water tank or internal bottles to refill... solar panel, one leisure battery or two..multirail for the awning or a wind out one... the list is endless...which is why a lot of people take a while planning and then get a custom build.. theres a few places in the North West Region where you can go and have a look around ready build vans which may help you decide.. Denby campervans and Bodans are two that spring to mind...

As for mileage, if its an already converted van I would prefer one under 30k miles, but well looked after and serviced they'll run and run... so don't let the mileage put you off too much

Cheers mate - I was thinking an awning would be ideal to give that space.
If you have the space ( camp site ) with twin awning rails you can setup an awning tent on one side and a sun canopy on the other.........alfresco cooking ...real posh camping :thumbsup:

To add a different viewpoint, we’ve done many multi-week road trips in a LWB T6 with two adults and three (pre-teen!) kids. Most of these had a lot of wild camping involved so it’s definitely possible without an awning. You do have to get organised with your systems and kit though, and it’s obviously not a five star hotel experience!

If you are staying in one place for a week or so though, an awning is recommended.

Back