Where Do I Start!? Knocking...

worley

Having read a number of conversations around knocking noise I wonder if anyone has had a similar problem to mine

VW T6 T30 11k miles
40mm drop on Cobra springs

When the van has been stationary for a couple of days, on turning ignition on and full locking wheel every quarter turn you hear the knocking noise (3 or 4 times until full lock). I've had it in a garage and propped up where the garage see's no problem with springs and physically turned the wheel whilst I watched and also did a run with me in the van with nothing - cue am I going barmy and just hearing things...

Any suggestions? to mount bearings? the problem with not knowing what it is could result in a costly strip down of suspension to locate an unidentified issue.

Any advice would be great, not sure if VW warranty voided because of Cobra Springs? and need a recording of the problem as when its at garage engine warm and problem subsides

Thanks

Does the noise occur at every 180 degrees of steering wheel revolution? If so it could be a steering column universal joint or something catching the joint. Try changing steering column angle to see if that makes it worse or better.

Probably stiction caused by being stationary for a few days, soak the suspension joints and spring ends with WD40 or something similar to lube it up and see what happens.

You should be able to narrow it down.

@Fish did you have a knock that ultimately was diagnosed as being normal usage mechnically?

Oh and welcome to the forum @worley

Does the noise occur at every 180 degrees of steering wheel revolution? If so it could be a steering column universal joint or something catching the joint. Try changing steering column angle to see if that makes it worse or better.
thats not a bad shout that, Ill try that tonight cheers pal

Probably stiction caused by being stationary for a few days, soak the suspension joints and spring ends with WD40 or something similar to lube it up and see what happens.

You should be able to narrow it down.
belting Ill give that a go

@Fish did you have a knock that ultimately was diagnosed as being normal usage mechnically?

Oh and welcome to the forum @worley
Thanks pal, the garage hoisted it up with one mechanic in the van turning the steering wheel whilst another pointed at the spring turning with no noise and no problem diagnosed. He even drove out with me (warm engine) and there was nothing. Its definitely when been sat on the road for a day or so

Back