Wheel-arch - Sound-Deadening internally or externally?

Just to point out that I've never used dodo dead mat so I can’t be sure if the adhesive is good for external application.
Dynamat is.

A question I put to them directly...

Hi,

Yes Dodo Dead Mat Hex and Pro can both be used on the external wheel arches. The panel should be clean and grease free prior to application though.

so hopefully good to go!

Reactions: DXX
I added 10mm self adhesive acoustic foam to the front arch liners today, from the top down to the rear, the front half left bare. It made a noticeable difference for very little cost and time. There was no requirement to use longer screws as cut out for the body flange and two pads on the liner.
All arches are now externally fitted with Dynamat Xtreme, rear liners completely covered with 10mm foam and front liners covered 50%.
Both doors are done with Dynamat Xtreme and 10mm foam on the cards.
Both front wings are done with Dynamat, they ring like a cymbal when bare, not sure how much was entering the cab so did them anyway.
Rest of the van was done professionally with Silent Coat and foam except the cab floor which I’ll be leaving for now.
Next I’m doing the front steps and scuttle.
I highly recommend foam coating the arch liners.
I'm going to do my arches next wk, once wheels are off how easy is it to remove liners? Is there anything else that needs removing on the front or rears?

Nothing else to remove, maybe just a couple of cable / hose securing clips to move to make the installation easier, it all goes back as before.
You’ll find the screws (Torx and hex) and pop studs for the liners, then just a case of easing the liners out of the bodywork.
The rear liner needs a couple of slightly longer screws after the foam is applied, I had plenty of Tek screws which did the job.

Nothing else to remove, maybe just a couple of cable / hose securing clips to move to make the installation easier, it all goes back as before.
You’ll find the screws (Torx and hex) and pop studs for the liners, then just a case of easing the liners out of the bodywork.
The rear liner needs a couple of slightly longer screws after the foam is applied, I had plenty of Tek screws which did the job.

thank you great info, what’s best to use for cleaning arches down ?

I can confirm its as easy as undoing a couple of torx screws. Cleaning the wax coating off inside of arch is hardest and that takes 5mins. I used gunk degreaser on wax and it seemed to work well enough for me.

Oh, I used a plastic scraper to scrape the wax off too. Actually, twas my AA card (old one).

It’s closed cell foam so I guess you can call it waterproof, the adhesive is so strong that the foam rips before the adhesive lets go.
Yaheetech Sound Proofing Deadening Vehicle Insulation Closed Cell Foam Sheet with Adhesive Backing 50cm X 30cm,12 Sheets Yaheetech Sound Proofing Deadening Vehicle Insulation Closed Cell Foam Sheet with Adhesive Backing 50cm X 30cm,12 Sheets: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

The only inner sound deadening on the cab is both doors and roof.
The rear is fully converted as a camper and as such fully sound deadened and insulated.

Was one pack enough to do all arch liners? The arches are silent coated inside the van but reading through the posts here it seems it may be beneficial to add some sound proofing to the liners as well. If it’s just the sound proofing that’s fitted to the liners will it still need longer screws to refit them?

Was one pack enough to do all arch liners? The arches are silent coated inside the van but reading through the posts here it seems it may be beneficial to add some sound proofing to the liners as well. If it’s just the sound proofing that’s fitted to the liners will it still need longer screws to refit them?
Yes one pack will be enough, you'll need the longer screws as I described earlier.

Hello,

Hopefully a quick question.

I have read, search, browsed and watched videos and have struggled to find a definite answer.

Do you just sound deaden the rear wheel arches? Or do you sound deaden and insulate?

Thanks all

Hello,

Hopefully a quick question.

I have read, search, browsed and watched videos and have struggled to find a definite answer.

Do you just sound deaden the rear wheel arches? Or do you sound deaden and insulate?

Thanks all
The rear wheel arch was the only bit i didn't insulate, sound deadened only. The reason being that it would have been difficult to carpet line over insulation but no problem with just the sound deadening.

Anyone used this for doing the underside of the rear wheel arches under the plastic trim?

Was thinking of adding something a little extra than just silent coat.

What’s your thoughts? Would it fit?

It’s closed cell foam so I guess you can call it waterproof, the adhesive is so strong that the foam rips before the adhesive lets go.
Yaheetech Sound Proofing Deadening Vehicle Insulation Closed Cell Foam Sheet with Adhesive Backing 50cm X 30cm,12 Sheets Yaheetech Sound Proofing Deadening Vehicle Insulation Closed Cell Foam Sheet with Adhesive Backing 50cm X 30cm,12 Sheets: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

The only inner sound deadening on the cab is both doors and roof.
The rear is fully converted as a camper and as such fully sound deadened and insulated.
Will give this a go too. And you say no issues with screwing in after with the torx screws?

Right, gonna get this done when it starts to get a little warmer. @DXX do you have a link for the longer screws you refer to above, please?

Right, gonna get this done when it starts to get a little warmer. @DXX do you have a link for the longer screws you refer to above, please?
I just used some Tek screws that I had in stock, not sure of the length. Available in screwfix, toolstation, ebay.
My estimate is 10mm longer than what is fitted as standard.

I just used some Tek screws that I had in stock, not sure of the length. Available in screwfix, toolstation, ebay.
My estimate is 10mm longer than what is fitted as standard.
Perfect, thanks

has anybody used this material from affordablemotorspares, Heavy Duty Sound Deadening Mat 2x 2mm XL Roll 8m x 500mm Grey/Black Car 43sq.ft. they are on ebay, they do various colours etc, its more about the adhesive now as I am about to do the roof and rear door, been using dodo but this is a better deal.

has anybody used this material from affordablemotorspares, Heavy Duty Sound Deadening Mat 2x 2mm XL Roll 8m x 500mm Grey/Black Car 43sq.ft. they are on ebay, they do various colours etc, its more about the adhesive now as I am about to do the roof and rear door, been using dodo but this is a better

I've just spent the day doing the back of my Kombi with this product. No complaints so far.

I've just spent the day doing the back of my Kombi with this product. No complaints so far.
thanks Scruffy. just as long as its good and sticky, don't want it dropping down once completed. it works out quite a bit cheaper than dodo.

@nimrod , it was certainly sticky, but I did warm the panels with a heat gun. I’ve used a few of the other big name products and I couldn’t really see a difference.

Back