Most effective area for sound deadening

cleave14

T6 Pro
Hi All,

i’ve already added quite a bit of weight to my Kombi with storage and sleeping arrangements in the back and a bit reluctant to add more Kg with whole load of sound deadening, so my question is - If anyone found that sound deadening In a particular place made more difference than elsewhere and if the dense foam made more difference than the 2-4mm Matt?
At the moment I’m thinking external wheel arches only.

The biggest open areas is where it’s needed most, in my work vans I get sheets of 2mm silentcoat and cut them into quarters and place smaller pieces in the middle of all the large panels in the rear, doing it this way I use 3 sheets in the whole of the rear (excluding roof) and it makes a good enough difference

Small areas that I’ve found make a big difference;
1. Scuttle, I used 2mm Silent Coat butyl and Silent Coat 30mm Sound Buffler
2. Wheel arches, external, I used Dynamat Xtreme on steel and 10mm self adhesive foam on plastic liners.
3. Cab doors, I used Dynamat Xtreme on the door skins, inner door frame and 10mm self adhesive foam on the door cards.
Details on the Forum, very little added weight.

As mentioned, the best bang for buck is to put small pieces onto large panels, the idea is to stop the vibrations from low frequency harmonics. Don't do what some do (and what I did on my T5!) and cover the floor and everywhere else in it, being careful not to leave gaps. It makes no difference and just wastes money/adds weight. Strategic positioning will give you the same benefit.

I think the biggest difference in mine was carpeting the panels - stops noise being bounced around. I did sound mat the complete floor but know its overkill.

Recently decorated our downstairs loo so emptied the room. It was really echoey until I hung the coats on the back of the door. Just surprised the return of the coats made such a difference to the sounds bouncing around the loo!

Regards

Ian

I think the biggest difference in mine was carpeting the panels - stops noise being bounced around. I did sound mat the complete floor but know its overkill.

Recently decorated our downstairs loo so emptied the room. It was really echoey until I hung the coats on the back of the door. Just surprised the return of the coats made such a difference to the sounds bouncing around the loo!

Regards

Ian
I generally put stuff in the loo.....might bounce on the way down......but get your point :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I’m not going to carpet line any panels. What just occurred to me though was to put 10mm sound insulting foam
On the inside of the panels as they are rather drum like.

@Pauly so you put your quarter sheets over the factory fitted sound deadening? Are they that useless?

Transit work vans not transporters so no factory pieces to worry about

Back