Whats your camping set up if you have no camper conversion?

Bentley T6

VIP Member
T6 Pro
We have a LWB T6 with caravelle rail system installed. Have twin slider so not opted to build in units as want to retain flexibility. Also had a HiLo fitted for sleeping. We plan to build / have built a plug in pod for fridge, fold out table etc and storage but want flexibility in where it sits in van (front or back).

We plan to buy a drive away awning but interested to hear what people use and take with them. What have you bought that you can’t do without? What did you buy that you didn’t use or wasn’t as good as hoped?

Grateful to hear people’s thoughts.

I have pretty much the same set up except SWB and due to have a pop top fitted in Nov/Dec covid permitting.

At the moment I have a multiflex board to make the bed for sleeping. I cant decide if to go for a rear extension pull out shelf to sit my fridge on. I would really like a pod like one of these, that I could use on the rear shelf, or lift out and use in an awning or just outside the van. 2 different companies in the pics. However I havent found anyone willing to make one in the UK.

Screenshot 2020-08-31 at 09.41.06.png

Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 11.56.11.png

Screenshot 2020-08-31 at 10.07.16.png

We have a Caravelle table inside to stick your drinks on etc when inside, it’s also just big enough to eat off if you want to,

8C2D7414-D6A0-4DF4-814E-BF552FCA8D43.jpeg

Cooking is all done outside under the rail sail, we have a Cadac and a small petrol stove, mainly use that for boiling the kettle.
2FD4D44C-26BE-46BF-8E8F-08967B3E1141.jpeg

FC811430-6794-4117-B445-9530AEB1DD60.jpeg

if I’m on my own this is all I take, the fridge sits on a pull out drawer under the multiflex board at the back of the van. If the wife is with me or I need a little more space then I put an awning on the other side of the van. Plenty of room then for the porta loo, bikes and wet coats etc

77B6FEA4-3068-4B27-B0EC-8A99B2CF000F.jpeg

We have a Caravelle table inside to stick your drinks on etc when inside, it’s also just big enough to eat off if you want to,

View attachment 86504

Cooking is all done outside under the rail sail, we have a Cadac and a small petrol stove, mainly use that for boiling the kettle.
View attachment 86503

View attachment 86502

if I’m on my own this is all I take, the fridge sits on a pull out drawer under the multiflex board at the back of the van. If the wife is with me or I need a little more space then I put an awning on the other side of the van. Plenty of room then for the porta loo, bikes and wet coats etc

View attachment 86501
@Deaky that set up looks great. Only thing I was thinking was to be able to have the drinks to hand from the front, hence the idea of a movable pod for the rails etc.
Love the rail sail for short trips where you don’t need the drive away and the Cadac looks handy and guess you can leave in the drive away awning when traveling about.
Love your build and setup. :thumbsup:

I have pretty much the same set up except SWB and due to have a pop top fitted in Nov/Dec covid permitting.

At the moment I have a multiflex board to make the bed for sleeping. I cant decide if to go for a rear extension pull out shelf to sit my fridge on. I would really like a pod like one of these, that I could use on the rear shelf, or lift out and use in an awning or just outside the van. 2 different companies in the pics. However I havent found anyone willing to make one in the UK.

View attachment 86496

View attachment 86497

View attachment 86495

@Skyliner33 this setup looks great but I guess my only reservation with it at the rear is cooking etc in poor weather. On a sunny evening though it would be great (providing you don’t get wind blowing into the van:rolleyes:)

:thumbsup:

@Skyliner33 this setup looks great but I guess my only reservation with it at the rear is cooking etc in poor weather. On a sunny evening though it would be great (providing you don’t get wind blowing into the van:rolleyes:)

:thumbsup:
That’s why I like the stuff I have put up. Both systems can be lifted of the tray and used in an awning, or just by the side of the van.

Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 13.10.23.pngScreenshot 2020-09-26 at 13.08.36.png

This is the current set up. Not overly sophisticated i admit, but i do like the space.IMG_4186.jpeg
Looking at other options for the 4 of us. Got an ovano on the way and thinking bout a roof tent, but i cannot have any kind of attached drive away awning; my ocd just will not allow that

View attachment 86502

View attachment 86501

How do you find the rail sail copes with strong winds, does the shape which allows for the forward/rear drop make it a better proposition than a regular shaped canopy/awning ?

How do you find the rail sail copes with strong winds, does the shape which allows for the forward/rear drop make it a better proposition than a regular shaped canopy/awning ?
It's not too bad, it can get a bit flappy though. If I know high winds are coming it set it up with just 2 poles and peg the front down to the ground creating a bit of a tunnel

The lift out kitchen is a cracking idea. Sadly I can't put anything like that in my van because I don't have anywhere to store it day to day

I'm away this weekend in the van with my daughter but will be a stealth camp somewhere to do a bit of hill walking. I put two awning rails up last weekend (I have a twin slider) and bought a debus canopy but haven't actually used it yet

I don't have a pop top and have no plans to fit one. So far all camping has been a mix of me, the dog and 2 (of my 3) kids. If we all go away including my wife at some point we'll definitely need a relatively big awning. But our holidays are generally in self catering places leaving the van for quick trips with minimal kit/faff

The van is our daily driver and only vehicle so need the functionality of it being a family 'car' every day. Also need to keep it under 2m for height restricted car parks

What company/ where did you get this set up from? Thanks
Hi I didn’t get either of these set ups.
one of them is in Switzerland and won’t send, it’s pick up only. The other is in Germany and they will only accept payment by direct bank transfer.
I’m trying very hard to find/ get someone to produce me one. If you are interested then maybe it would be a bit easier if not a one off.

Did you make that ?
Hi I didn’t get either of these set ups.
one of them is in Switzerland and won’t send, it’s pick up only. The other is in Germany and they will only accept payment by direct bank transfer.
I’m trying very hard to find/ get someone to produce me one. If you are interested then maybe it would be a bit easier if not a one off.
Have you thought about an egoe nest box? They’re pretty cool
Dirty weekender vans supply them in the uk
Dirty Weekender - Adventure Vans

I am a joiner so I am going to make whatever I decide on doing.

Thanks
Yes, I have looked at that system a couple of times. However there are a few things that wouldn't work for me.

1. My fridge wont fit in their drawer (this is the main deal breaker for me).
2. The fridge plugs into their water module, so when you take the water module out the fridge is disconnected.
3. When their bed is set up there is a huge volume of the van, between the back of their module and the rear of the bench seats with no access.

The search goes on.

I have the Caravelle rail set up, Cali roof and Cali awning.

As I wanted to keep the flexibility of multi use, I’ve just sold a couple of limbs to buy one of the ‘dock’ units.

Plan is that when we are overnighting we take it, rest of the time it stays at home. Cadac will come as well. I’ve seen folks moving them inside the van, when weather is bad.

It’s a lovely piece of kit, I’m sure someone with more time and skills than me could knock something similar up!

2BCBB838-55FA-45F6-9D64-3BC9987FD860.jpeg

62CB538B-53FA-4851-B158-E1DF62267CD3.jpeg

I have the Caravelle rail set up, Cali roof and Cali awning.

As I wanted to keep the flexibility of multi use, I’ve just sold a couple of limbs to buy one of the ‘dock’ units.

Plan is that when we are overnighting we take it, rest of the time it stays at home. Cadac will come as well. I’ve seen folks moving them inside the van, when weather is bad.

It’s a lovely piece of kit, I’m sure someone with more time and skills than me could knock something similar up!

View attachment 87668

View attachment 87669
That looks good, is it a VW part or other manufacturer?

Back