What's The Best Portable Jack?

Let's hope it's better, that's the smaller M I have bought the L

Jumping in to give some information on a product which I’ve just got and which I think is very good.

21C4B6B7-4A1C-47C4-A0C0-BC95F14CC03F.jpeg

There are 2 sizes of this. They’re American so rated in LBS. 6000LBS (2721kg) which is the big one and 4000LBS (1814kg) which is the small one.

I HAVE THE SMALL ONE 4000LBS (1.8ton)

I tested it out today.

My van has just had a swamper conversion done and is now running 235/65/17 on 35mm lifted suspension. The jacking points on the chassis are now approx 12” off the ground. The larger 6000lbs jack could fit under as it‘s minimum is 11”. Except that it wouldn’t get under if I had a flat tyre. Hence the small one Which goes as low as 8 5/8”.

I have a square of 18mm ply which I sit the jack on as my drive is currently un-finished.
There’s about 1.5” between the trye and the jack.
31631184-AAED-439B-8A50-F3E16C90AEB0.jpeg

On lowest setting with fully inflated tyres the top of the jack is about 3” under the jacking point
C3E3FA86-2236-4448-B914-CDF867DE3455.jpeg

Pin inserted into 3rd hole on extender. Now about 1/2 inch under jacking point
5A9866AA-D5AA-4A96-92DD-C52048970A1E.jpeg

Jack has latching points which lock as you rise. At full extension locked into 5th latch the tyre is about 2” off the ground.
A67103FD-6F86-4459-B3D8-9BD63EBFD9E8.jpegEFAB39E6-89F1-4B12-9C0D-58E398B6A5B9.jpeg

So it’s worth noting that if I did have a tyre which was fully deflated I might struggle to get the jack under but to compensate for that I have extra pieces of ply to drive the wheel on to to gain a bit of extra height.
With the jack at it’s lowest setting the tyre was still rubbing the floor a bit. It would be ok on the first hole of the jack.
I also carry a tyre inflator so if I had a slow puncture I’d inflate it to get the jack under.

Hope some of you find this helpful.

It also fits very neatly either under the rear bench in my kombi or in side storage compartments installed by Unique Vans in St Neots.

I'm minded to buy the 3 tonne jack from Screwfix instead of the 5 tonne, as others has alluded to, when the front tyre is flat there may be a 50-80mm drop. The 5 tonne - 207mm lowest and 188mm for the 3 tonne jack. Before I order one, does anyone have any further info/gotchas?

Thanks.

I
I'm minded to buy the 3 tonne jack from Screwfix instead of the 5 tonne, as others has alluded to, when the front tyre is flat there may be a 50-80mm drop. The 5 tonne - 207mm lowest and 188mm for the 3 tonne jack. Before I order one, does anyone have any further info/gotchas?

Thanks.
Hi,
did you buy the 3 t jack in the end, as b4 I buy one Id like to know the height of it as my van is lowered and with the flat tyre 50-80mm drop, am not looking too good atm.

I

Hi,
did you buy the 3 t jack in the end, as b4 I buy one Id like to know the height of it as my van is lowered and with the flat tyre 50-80mm drop, am not looking too good atm.
I bought the 3t bottle and used it at the weekend to help a pad & disc replacement. What I didn’t do at the same time is check if it would have fitted with a flat. I’m lowered 50mm and have 20inch wheels with 275/40 tyres. I think it would have fitted but will flatten the tyre to check.

It really depends on what sort of puncture you've suffered. It wasn't my van but a Honda Prelude about 20 years ago - I eventually noticed I had a puncture caused by a nail and the bottle jack that I had was too big until I put enough air into the tyre to lift the car enough for me to get the jack under and raise it fully with that.

I bought the 3t bottle and used it at the weekend to help a pad & disc replacement. What I didn’t do at the same time is check if it would have fitted with a flat. I’m lowered 50mm and have 20inch wheels with 275/40 tyres. I think it would have fitted but will flatten the tyre to check.
Hi,
What Bottle Jack didi you buy?

If you are in a camper and carry levelling ramps you could use those to raise a flat off the ground and gain more clearance under the jack point?
Talk about tempting fate!! Arrived at Dorset campsite after 3hr drive. Last mile up a narrow country lane. Felt the squirm after checking in with reception. Quick eyeball and confirmed the rear flat. I’d like to be able to say a perfect chance to test the new bottle jack in a lowered state….. but….. turns out I didn’t pack it after disc and pad change. . It wouldn’t have fitted I don’t think. Scissor jack it was and had to deploy your suggestion of the wheel ramps - good shout indeed.

Turns out the inner edge was worn through and the other looks bad, so it’s two new tyres in the morning from a local place to the campsite. He’s got some Uniroyals so that will be an upgrade on the Kumhos. Not quite the wallet friendly camping trip I was looking forward to!! The rest of the tyres have 6mm and I’ve only done 10k on them max so getting tracking checked too as that’s a bit of a worry.

New Nutexa discs and brakes wore in nicely on the drive down. Definite improved stopping power so that’s one upside!

IMG_2693.jpeg

Talk about tempting fate!! Arrived at Dorset campsite after 3hr drive. Last mile up a narrow country lane. Felt the squirm after checking in with reception. Quick eyeball and confirmed the rear flat. I’d like to be able to say a perfect chance to test the new bottle jack in a lowered state….. but….. turns out I didn’t pack it after disc and pad change. . It wouldn’t have fitted I don’t think. Scissor jack it was and had to deploy your suggestion of the wheel ramps - good shout indeed.

Turns out the inner edge was worn through and the other looks bad, so it’s two new tyres in the morning from a local place to the campsite. He’s got some Uniroyals so that will be an upgrade on the Kumhos. Not quite the wallet friendly camping trip I was looking forward to!! The rest of the tyres have 6mm and I’ve only done 10k on them max so getting tracking checked too as that’s a bit of a worry.

New Nutexa discs and brakes wore in nicely on the drive down. Definite improved stopping power so that’s one upside!

View attachment 211038

That doesn’t look like a C rated tyre. Unless you drive around a velodrome IMO anything other than C rated is asking for problems.

I would get the wheel alignment checked at a garage with decent equipment (Hunter or similar). Otherwise your new tyres will suffer a similar fate of rapid wear of the inside edge.

The jack that came with my T6 LWB collapsed when I was testing it on one corner. Not good! I have a 2.25 ton trolley jack, about 14kg ŵeight which doesn't give me the fear!

I have not found a bottle jack that will fit under a 50mm lowered T6. And with a flat tyre, that's even lower.

I have tried and failed to get the spare tyre out from underneath the van. I think I will have to lift the van to get it out. Has anybody got experience of this? T6 2019 LWB. Lowered 50mm. Having a reliable jack will definitely give me peace of mind. Thank you!

Don't forget that even if your jack doesn't fit under the car at first there's always a chance that you can pump some air into the tyre so that there's enough room. Obviously, that does depend on the nature of the punctures though.
The jack that came with my T6 LWB collapsed when I was testing it on one corner.
@mik1ee. By collapse, do you mean actually collapsed (ie. failed) or 'just' toppled over? If the former, have you got a picture - if so, I'd be sending it to VW for a comment. Personally, I took one look at mine when I first got the van and vowed that it would only ever be used in an extreme emergency.

Reactions: Bav
Back