What's The Best Portable Jack?

Zagora

VIP Member
T6 Pro
My kombi edition didn't come with a spare ( just a can of tyre foam!,) so in the process of sourcing a spare and the bar and bolts to hold it in place.
What do people recommend as a suitable jack? I'll be carrying it at all times so it needs to be small, i.e. not a trolley jack.

Is the standard VW one any good and how much does it cost?

I've got a vw jack and spare wheels carrier sitting in the garage as I don't use either of them

I used the VW one once and although it worked I didn’t like it, made me quite nervous especially when we had to kick the tyre to loosen it from the hub. Went out and bought a bottle jack to use in emergency.

Its for use in an emergency, i.e. a roadside puncture.
Markymark, what bottle jack do you use?

I bought a Hilka from Screwfix I think because they were the cheapest at the time. I haven’t used it in anger but got it out and tested that it had enough height gain for my T32. Seems solid enough.

Aldi have some in just now. Didn't examine it as I have a bottle jack already, Hilka from screwfix also, but think it was 5 tonne capacity and about 12 quid.

I also carry a piece of steel plate approx 200mm x 200mm x 3mm to prevent the jack sinking in soft ground.
The jacking points are clear and mentioned in the handbook, you will find what looks like the end of a steel angle bar protruding very slightly below the trim. Behind the front wheels and forward of the rear wheels.

I can recommend SGS as I've just bought a trolley jack from them. Solid and a great support ethic. 2 year warranty on the trolley!

I can recommend SGS as I've just bought a trolley jack from them. Solid and a great support ethic. 2 year warranty on the trolley!
Which one did you go for out of curiosity? I keep looking at them but can’t decide and there are always more important things to spend my money on.

If you get a bottle jack make sure it will go high enough to allow for suspension drop. Otherwise you may not get the tyre off the ground.

If you get a bottle jack make sure it will go high enough to allow for suspension drop. Otherwise you may not get the tyre off the ground.
And low enough to get under when the tyre is flat..
Also, bottle jacks normally come with a small round top, so you will need to make a jack adapter to make it useable and safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: DXX
Back