What's The Best Portable Jack?

Apologies, I saw the thread title and immediately thought that Jill must have asked the same thing!

Hi loz, what jack do you use also for taking wheels off? I’m struggling to workout which is best as I need to change the brakes
Screwfix do a 5 tonne bottle jack.
Use it to lift then place each side on axel stands while doing Brake work.
£24 Excellent price.
Hilka Pro-Craft 5 Tonne Bottle Jack

Out of interest, where do you place the axle stands? (and please don’t just say under the axle).
There are 4 jacking points.
Shown in your manual, or a Google search will help :)
Obviously the problem is how do you put the Axel stand there, when you are jacking there !
For the rear, trolly jack under where the spring is.
then when high enough, place axel stand on the jacking point.
video here.
The front, I saw somebody mention you can hack the whole front up in one go, on the main subframe part, just behind the engine. (With a rubber or wooden block, to prevent damage)
Then place axel stands on the girder looking like metal bits that come down (Jacking points)

@Californication69 . My apologies but I've only just seen your response to mine! Genuine thanks for the efforts but I think I'll leave it up to the pros when it comes to using anything other than jacking points (or ramps of I just want to access the underside).

Discovered today the 2T trolley jack I’ve been carrying in the back of the van for the last year doesn’t lift high enough to remove the wheel

Any suggestions for a jack that will please? I purchased a bottle jack only to discover its not low enough to fit under the jacking point when the tyre is flat!

please help

cheers,

Nick

have a look here. . .

and

Any thoughts on this? I want something I can fit under the bench seat in my Caravelle:

That's a lot of money for what it is, IMHO. It looks very much like the OE jack that comes as standard with a T6.
I use my OE jack (and a piece of timber for under it) as my emergency jack, it's all well and good carrying a trolley jack if you know you will be able to stop on good tarmac or concrete to change a wheel, but a trolley jack isn't designed for use on an unmade surface and if a tyre totally deflates suddenly it might not be possible to get onto a suitably surfaced safe place to change the wheel.

That's a lot of money for what it is, IMHO. It looks very much like the OE jack that comes as standard with a T6.
I use my OE jack (and a piece of timber for under it) as my emergency jack, it's all well and good carrying a trolley jack if you know you will be able to stop on good tarmac or concrete to change a wheel, but a trolley jack isn't designed for use on an unmade surface and if a tyre totally deflates suddenly it might not be possible to get onto a suitably surfaced safe place to change the wheel.
Thanks for the info, an emergency Jack is what I really need. I looked on eBay and they are around £100 for an OE one. I think I’ll get one to keep in one of the compartments under the seat bench with the rest of my recovery gear then perhaps carry a trolley jack on longs trips and when we tow the caravan.

I use a bottle jack and some 12mm aluminium plates to make up the gap and give a big enough surface to prevent the jack sinking in soft ground / tarmac.

I use a bottle jack and some 12mm aluminium plates to make up the gap and give a big enough surface to prevent the jack sinking in soft ground / tarmac.
Does your bottle jack still fit under the jacking point when the tyre is completely flat though?

Does your bottle jack still fit under the jacking point when the tyre is completely flat though?
Yes
EDIT: No, I have 25mm between the top of the closed bottle jack and the jacking point.
From what I can measure a Goodyear Cargo Vector is approx 80mm tall, assuming the the tyre is not shredded I’m estimating that it will drop by approx 40-50mm max.
I can still use the bottle jack either by inflating the tyre with my portable compressor if a small leak or by finding a hollow for the jack or more likely driving over the 24mm of aluminium plates I carry with the jack.
The jack is a Hilka 5 Te, see attached photos

4AA82AE2-E1AF-4892-8E44-CB792A579C3A.jpeg

A4D52C22-2569-4A00-AEA4-AA1F1A2AEDCC.jpeg

001DAAAE-18E7-4606-BA8C-BE66FF776734.jpeg

B7DA2085-83F4-4540-BE60-6FDF67F1D2F0.jpeg

Last edited:
@moodsterT6. That certainly looks like the OE jack that I've got. I've only ever used it once and that was just to try it out. Suffice to say that at first glance, it didn't inspire confidence and things never improved once I started using it. It does the job but all the time that I was using it (on tarmac and thus firm ground), I was worried.

@DXX. Did I miss where you said what battle jack you have? If so, sorry but can you repeat please.

Got the Hilka 5 tonne as shown by others above - not much room between jacking point and top of the Jack but like others stated can find ways around that if puncture is serious.
Purchased from screwfix.

6BAA5129-4C7B-4B63-9473-4D7AE8DF8D23.jpeg

Back