First T6 whats the essentials for a panel van conversion

MyTentOrYours

My Tent or Yours
Trade Member
T6 Pro
Hi Everybody,

After being on here selling our awnings for the past few years I am finally dipping my toe in to the world of t6 ownership, so I was hoping you kind people might pass on any info which feel would be good for me before I purchase, looking for advice on which is the best base model for a van assuming a LWB but also whats the difference between converting a Panel van vs a Kombi, any must haves on the spec I know I have seen a lot of talk regarding air con is this a must?

Haven't got a huge budget but a good friend owns a van dealership and is going to source me a vehicle so hoping to pick one up at trade price, but really don't want to make a mistake when I purchase, appreciate there are certain features which help retain value also so would be keen to hear peoples thoughts on these, and also anything to avoid which may make my conversion cost higher or more difficult.

I am going with a standard layout insulated, Carpet lined, 2 seat rock and roll bed with side kitchen/units and fridge, pop top, captains seats, electrics, whats the going rate for a conversion of this type seen around 13k does this seems too high/low?

Many thanks

Dan

Search button and a read through the various conversion threads is a good start point. Decide how you plan to use the van and ask yourself why many don’t have the full kitchen style conversion, no point buying a kombi if you’re ripping seats out and yes if you’re planning on heading south to warmer climates then ac is a must.

I’d say the premium you would pay for a Kombi vs a panel van and fitting windows, would be more than you would recoup from selling the rear seats. On the flip side, majority of panel vans will have a double passenger seat so you would be looking at £800 plus to source a single passenger seat. Kombis are 99% fitted with a tailgate as standard, whereas panel vans generally have barn doors unless ordered differently from the factory.

LED headlights are a great option and light years ahead of standard H4 lights.

Lots of people are set on DSG gearbox, I’ve only ever owned manual vehicles so can’t comment on what is better. But DSG will command a higher price.

Highline spec is great as includes aircon as standard, along with alarm and colour coded bumpers.

EU6 vehicles from 2017? Onwards will be better for cities with ULEZ zones, whereas EU5 earlier models will not require adblue

Back