What's my van worth??

MrT

T6 Guru
hi guys I’m needing advice. I’m looking to sell my van privately in preparation to collecting my new van Thing is this is the 1st time selling a van. I have a 2016 Highline T28 PV in indium grey 140 dsg, with tailgate, reverse camera , heated seats , factory fitted LEDS , mileage is 31k . If had it lowed 40mm with rs6 20” alloys. I’m not VAT registered. The van is in good condition overall.

I’m seeing vans on auto trader for 21k inclusive of Vat roughly. But can I ask for more as it has the extras such as LEDS ?

Appreciate the feedback :thumbsup:

LWB or SWB? I think its a SWB from your picture?

21k is not a bad price for that spec if its a LWB, factory LED's is a bonus right enough. For what its worth I paid 25k for a lwb highline T32 standard panel van from the main stealers, without LED's.

LWB or SWB? I think its a SWB from your picture?

21k is not a bad price for that spec if its a LWB, factory LED's is a bonus right enough. For what its worth I paid 25k for a lwb highline T32 standard panel van from the main stealers, without LED's.
It’s a swb your correct and I also have 3 main dealers servicing left on the service plan that is transferable if hopefully that would sweeten the deal so to speak

spending a few quid on an advert and trying your luck privately is a no brainer unless you can afford to throw away a few £k.

If someone had been able to advise as to what to advertise *at* we’d have tried that. I would never have thought to put it on for £40k, and to be fair unless you’re taking finance I doubt anyone would pay £40k privately. I estimated around £35k listing, which meant probably £32k offered at best. £1k loss for hassle free sale.

But hindsight is wonderful... ;)

If some one was able to advise ……………… you had loads of advice to put out a private ad and see how it went, you couldn't be bothered, don't blame the dealer !
Where was your advert on here , on autotrader , on gumtree , ebay . etc etc you obviously were not happy with 31k when first offered !!
You know how the car trade work's ,there out to make money ! This thread has me totally bemused. Sorry to be blunt but come on !!!!!!!

“Stick it up and see what offers you get/why didn’t you advertise?” - pointless paying to advertise unless you spend a decent amount of time & effort making the van shine, and *know what price to aim for*, and factor those costs in to your asking price. Given that WBAV offered £27k, who is to say that we’d actually have had decent offers from genuine buyers, rather than chancers taking the piss? If someone had known that advertising it for £40k would have yielded a sale, great! I’d have done that. But no one actually knew. It was all speculation. “Advertise and see what you get” - I strongly suspect that had I advertised it would either not be sold, or i’d have had a lot more stress and the same amount of money (or less) to show for it.

“£30k trade sounds about right” - we were able to get a (little) bit more than that and it seems the dealer thinks they can get a lot more. However it transpires that the dealer did a settlement quote in my name *without* my consent. Had they not done that, would they have offered more?

“Take a loan to pay off the finance” - what the f*** would the point of that been? Assuming i’d have been granted a loan at those rates anyway - we just had a mortgage application rejected because they decided we were over extended due to the van finance...

No one knew what it would go for, I took the dealers offer. All subsequent posts have been placed as an advisory to anyone else with the same vehicle to give a guide as to what to expect price wise. That way no one else ends up in the same position as me...

If some one was able to advise ……………… you had loads of advice to put out a private ad and see how it went, you couldn't be bothered, don't blame the dealer !
Where was your advert on here , on autotrader , on gumtree , ebay . etc etc you obviously were not happy with 31k when first offered !!
You know how the car trade work's ,there out to make money ! This thread has me totally bemused. Sorry to be blunt but come on !!!!!!!

1 person said stick a post on here with no advice on price. Another said pics might help.

Then 1 said £35k on eBay (which would open shitstorm of hassle as anyone who has ever tried to sell anything on eBay will attest to), and that would probably have yielded a sale but maybe not at the listed price.

And then two said go with the dealer, no hassle, finance sorted.

Where is the “loads of advice to put out a private ad” ?

If someone had been able to advise as to what to advertise *at* we’d have tried that. I would never have thought to put it on for £40k, and to be fair unless you’re taking finance I doubt anyone would pay £40k privately. I estimated around £35k listing, which meant probably £32k offered at best. £1k loss for hassle free sale.

But hindsight is wonderful... ;)

If you are happy with price then fair enough Im not getting into an argument despite the fact I would have thrown £50 at autotrader and took a punt.

I wouldn't specifically buy a van if it had services left, but your'e right, it is a sweetner, if its transferable. I know my girlfriend sold her fiesta with two services left and they were only for when she owned the car, robbing Arnold Shark bastards....

At the end of the day its a rare vehicle and as standard does come with a hell of a lot (double electrics doors being one). When we bought ours the RRP was £55,000. Although ours is a 204bhp version in blue/silver. I prepared one on the VW configurator and without the two tone (which wasnt available then) it came out at £58,250 for the spec listed. As with any VW special edition the extras our discounted when packaged together, as there are options on there that most of us would not tick if we had to pay for the items individually. We were going to trade ours in for a beach but then decided to convert it instead.

I see the original advert has disappeared, I guess the dealer has sold it.

Been thinking about this that could not sell the van for 34+vat as it is a non qualifying van as they didn’t pay you any vat. They can only charge vat on the profit margin.

I'm a cash buyer on the look out for a good spec T6 caravelle and would have snapped this up at that price. Gutted. Just a couple of weeks too late in my looking!

I'm a cash buyer on the look out for a good spec T6 caravelle and would have snapped this up at that price. Gutted. Just a couple of weeks too late in my looking!
Just what you wanted to hear Redvers.
:(

Just to clear up some misinformation in the thread, used vehicle sales through a dealer do include VAT. So the price I paid in 2016 was £33450 + VAT, and I got back £31k from the dealer. Most of the “loss” was either paying off the VAT or paying off the finance.

If the dealer is selling on for the same price as I paid 2 years ago, they’ve added £2500 on top of what the vehicle cost them, and then VAT on top of the overall price...

If I was to sell my van to a dealer VAT would not be due. As a private user never having claimed the VAT on the purchase of the van the buck stops with me. The amount received is outside of the scope of VAT as I do not have a VAT number to provide the purchaser with. Therefore when the dealer eventually sales the vehicle (being that the dealer is VAT registered) he physically pays VAT on the margin (known as the margin scheme for secondhand cars). Therefore if I sold can to them for £30,000 and they sell it for £36000 (inc VAT) the VAT they pay accross is £1,000 (being £5000 net and £1000 VAT (totaling the £6,000 profit they have made).

upload_2018-9-11_9-38-57.png

Used to be VAT Notice 718/1.

Just clearing it up in case I am one of the ones that is posting misinformation.

This is why you will see some vehicles on the used forum as saying VAT Qualifying or Non VAT Qualifying (the vans purchased from private individuals). On the basis that they advertised your van as VAT qualifying means that they must have a VAT invoice for the sale.

:thumbs:

Bit clearer :)

So the dealer has added about £6k + VAT on top of the cost of the vehicle...

Anyone got a Velle for sale. Only joking pal.
At the end of the day @redvers there's nothing like the sound of that engine being driven away by someone else when you want to get rid of. End of that one and onto something else.

Now I am in the process of picking side windows for my van. I thought I had to have a sliding window, however I have found this on the gov.uk website:

"Motor caravan minimum features
In order for a converted vehicle to qualify as a motor caravan it must have certain minimum features:

• at least one window on the side of the accommodation"

So am I right in thinking I do not have to install a slider on either side of the van, it just must have at least 1 window behind the B pillar?

The first camper I bought 4 years ago from Bilbo’s had just one slider by the cooker. The glass in the sliding door was fixed so I would say, based on a professional converter getting it right, that yes just one slider is ok.

Back