What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

View attachment 180806

All seasons put on.

Gone from 205/65 to 215/65 to run at a lower pressure and hopefully improve the ride a bit, but they do fill the arch a bit more as well.

And yes, it does need cleaning :uh run:

Put the original wheels back on for the winter and stored the 20's until the sun comes back out

View attachment 180807

I’ve been driving for 30 years and not once on any vehicle have I ever had ‘winter wheels’. I accept that winter tyres are probably a good idea if you live somewhere remote or that sees regular snow, but in southe arssex it isn’t really required.

So then there’s the alloy wheel itself to consider - I always keep them clean and regularly wax them - is the road salt really going to kill them?

Not trying to start a row just interested as I don’t understand making your van look naff for a few months of the year :cool:

I’ve been driving for 30 years and not once on any vehicle have I ever had ‘winter wheels’. I accept that winter tyres are probably a good idea if you live somewhere remote or that sees regular snow, but in southe arssex it isn’t really required.

So then there’s the alloy wheel itself to consider - I always keep them clean and regularly wax them - is the road salt really going to kill them?

Not trying to start a row just interested as I don’t understand making your van look naff for a few months of the year :cool:
Winter tyres are different to snow tyres, and are specifically designed to operate well in temperatures below 7°C. Below 7°C regular tyres do not work nearly as well, and winter tyres will offer better grip.

I've fitted winter tyres to my cars for the last 10 years and live in Norfolk. In normal "winter" conditions they do provide far more confidence. If it snows, then they're a complete night and day difference to summer tyres. I've driven 600bhp rear wheel drive cars on wide winter tyres in the snow, and gone past cars on thin summer tyres that have got stuck (narrow tyres should be far better than wide tyres in the snow), with no issues.

As for rims, if the have diamond cut alloys, salt is not your friend. With regular alloys, provided you regularly clean them, you shouldn't have a problem, but for a lot of people (including myself), it's a lot less hassle to have my winter tyres mounted on a second set of rims, which aren't as nice as my summer rims and consequently are cheaper to buy.

Which brand and what was the cost per tire please, if you don't mind me asking?
Michelin Agilis Cross Climate, after months reading the opinions on here! Mainly because they are A rated on wet grip as opposed to the Goodyears which also get good mentions.

Blackcircles Black Friday deal (one day only I'm afraid) was 15% off which got them down to £143 ea.

I have been checking Costco and Protyre regularly, seem to be about the same cost (taking into account 7% Topcashback for Protyre) of about £150-155.

Personally, I think we are more likely to use the van in winter / bad weather on rural roads, as opposed to the car which just commutes on the motorway.

And having been towed off a campsite last year due to snow and ice on a tiny little slope, I wanted to give myself the best chance of it not happening again!

But I appreciate Arssex doesn't often get much snow :think smile bounce:

Living in the South of England I would have always agreed, however I had a serious lack of traction on a campsite in October half term in a very wet field. This resulted in a rally style approach to our pitch, as I couldn't get up the grassy slope to our pitch without speed. This resulted in the below mod to my front end when I hit a grass covered ditch which would have been fine at 5 mph, but not 20! (It was fun at the time until it went wrong!)
D8A3250D-BB29-4BD1-8A48-984579CC4E24.jpeg

I've not got pictures of my new wheels and tyres, (which is unlike me as it looks wicked!) but my solution to prevent traction issues in winter fields was to fit BFG KO2 tyres on 17" rims.

My van is not 4mo (it's 2WD) but the slow speed traction on very wet fields/mud is now satisfactory and makes my van completely usable over the winter.

The BFG KO2 tyres are not "winter tyres" in the conventional sense. They probably provide no more grip on tarmac than my Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric F1 tyres (which will be rolled out again in the late spring), but on wet grass and mud, I am pleased to report that I shall be camping all year round!

Last edited:
I always run winter tyres on my daily commuter, last thing I want is to get to work in the morning but not be able to get home in the evening. I use a cheap set of steels that I got from eBay.
They'll only work one way though, ie if there's snow overnight I won't be able to get to work in the morning. :think smile bounce:

Back