What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Well the theme of f’ing things up continues :whistle:

Bought a can of Plastidip black spray to do the two chrome slats in my grille.

Masked off around the two slats including using a scalpel to ensure it was sharp along the top and bottom, shook can, wiped down the slats with panel wipe, sprayed a light coat, quick blast with the hairdryer, another coat, another hairdryer, another coat.

Looked really good with a soft sheen.

Pulled off masking tape at an angle and a couple of dirty great chunks came away with the masking exposing the chrome beneath :mad:

The good thing being Plastidip was that it literally peeled off like abit of sunburnt skin when you start to peel.

Will probably just go online and buy black plastic inserts instead :rolleyes:

C1528A7C-87A1-4EF6-8BF5-BFDD2A4828BF.jpeg

Masked off around the two slats including using a scalpel to ensure it was sharp along the top and bottom, shook can, wiped down the slats with panel wipe, sprayed a light coat, quick blast with the hairdryer, another coat, another hairdryer, another coat.

Pulled off masking tape at an angle and a couple of dirty great chunks came away with the masking exposing the chrome beneath :mad:

The good thing being Plastidip was that it literally peeled off like abit of sunburnt skin when you start to peel.

View attachment 169907
Have another go, did my badges and letters, start with fine mist coat follow with another fine mist coat then about 4 heavier coats, leave a good 20 to thirty minutes between coats and leave at least an hour after last coat, try and do on a warm day

084A9B78-659B-4D6F-8995-092B9FD0CF4B.jpegF86F58ED-0E88-44A1-81E6-5E1E38F4F8AC.jpeg

View attachment 169907
The only way I could make it kinda work was to wet and dry the parts but eventually it peeled off. Lots of work and prep for nothing.

Lesson learnt though so nobody else makes the same mistake.

Have another go, did my badges and letters, start with fine mist coat follow with another fine mist coat then about 4 heavier coats, leave a good 20 to thirty minutes between coats and leave at least an hour after last coat, try and do on a warm day

View attachment 169909View attachment 169910

The only way I could make it kinda work was to wet and dry the parts but eventually it peeled off. Lots of work and prep for nothing.

Lesson learnt though so nobody else makes the same mistake.

The actual finish looked good - its just the need to use masking tape that messed it up.
I think it is supposed to peel off so thinking about it maybe not the best idea for something on the front of the van due to bugs and stone chips.

Most of that will polish out but looking at the scraping on the face of that wheel I'm thinking they'll probably all need replacing with a set of staggered 20" Judd's and quite likely air suspension too as the B14s must surely have leaked a little as I did.
In the time honoured fashion of the devil finding work for idle hands I was on my way to pick up compost from Homebase and the other slightly older couple (I'm 63) were on their way to a funeral... perhaps we could start a "Terrible Tuesday" thread?

Not so much my doing as the driver to my left who suddenly wanted to be in my lane... tiny red ix20 Hyundai that literally threw itself under my wheels.
Now the mucking about with insurance and body shop but she's a trooper so will be at Busfest still!
@Stay Frosty. Having had an incident that was a bit worse but in similar circumstances to yours late last year, I can sympathise. Mine ended with a £4K claim. Good luck getting it all sorted.
20211231_125320.jpg

Back