What’s The Best T6 Kombi Van To Go For?

AdeyT6

Hi I’m new to the forum but I’m keen on getting some advice on the purchase of new T6 Kombi van.

Want one to take family/friends & dogs in plus to use for motorbikes/bicycles. So was thinking a LWB version but what about:

highline or streetline?
Engine size (most economical?)

thanks for reading.

Depends how deep your pockets are, highline has more standard things on it and is a little less commercial looking.

Hi I’m new to the forum but I’m keen on getting some advice on the purchase of new T6 Kombi van.

Want one to take family/friends & dogs in plus to use for motorbikes/bicycles. So was thinking a LWB version but what about:

highline or streetline?
Engine size (most economical?)

thanks for reading.

First of all, welcome to the mad house.

As for your question, are you thinking new T6 or new T6.1? Personally i'd opt for a LWB, twin sliders but that's just me. I think there are plenty of members using SWB T6s for the same as you want. I'd also go for a Highline because you will get more toys as standard. Engine size depends on the year of the Transporter you are looking at buying and your budget. Do you want DSG or Manual? Colour? There are loads of things to consider, but plenty of info on here, plus a few used T6s in our Sales section.

Good luck with the hunt.

Think you only get air con on the highline... Much better spec van as deaky says...

You might want to look at the numerous threads on here relating to headlights.
If you are looking at brand new vans I would definitely pay the extra for LED lights, if you are looking at second hand it might, depending on your budget, be possible to look for one with factory fitted LED headlights.
Many people spend significant sums of money upgrading the really poor H4 headlights fitted to many T6's.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Depends how deep your pockets are, highline has more standard things on it and is a little less commercial looking.
Hi thanks for the reply. I’m currently overseas so I’m eligible for a tax free vehicle so I’m looking at getting a new one.

First of all, welcome to the mad house.

As for your question, are you thinking new T6 or new T6.1? Personally i'd opt for a LWB, twin sliders but that's just me. I think there are plenty of members using SWB T6s for the same as you want. I'd also go for a Highline because you will get more toys as standard. Engine size depends on the year of the Transporter you are looking at buying and your budget. Do you want DSG or Manual? Colour? There are loads of things to consider, but plenty of info on here, plus a few used T6s in our Sales section.

Good luck with the hunt.
Hi thanks for the reply. I’m looking at getting a new one this year sent from the UK so it has the right spec. I also want a LWB as I want to put motorbikes/bikes in there. I was looking at the highline version with a standard size roof.

the key bit is engine size & either DSG or Manual. Being as Economical as possible would be more appealing.

I have seen they are bringing out a e-transporter LWB version out as well, I wonder how much?

You might want to look at the numerous threads on here relating to headlights.
If you are looking at brand new vans I would definitely pay the extra for LED lights, if you are looking at second hand it might, depending on your budget, be possible to look for one with factory fitted LED headlights.
Many people spend significant sums of money upgrading the really poor H4 headlights fitted to many T6's.
Good luck.
Great advice on the LED lights. Thank you.

Hi thanks for the reply. I’m looking at getting a new one this year sent from the UK so it has the right spec. I also want a LWB as I want to put motorbikes/bikes in there. I was looking at the highline version with a standard size roof.

the key bit is engine size & either DSG or Manual. Being as Economical as possible would be more appealing.

I have seen they are bringing out a e-transporter LWB version out as well, I wonder how much?

Economical isn't one of the words i've seen described for a T6, but I guess Manual will be better for economy, and the mid range engine. I haven't seen any news about an E-Transporter as yet, unless you know something I haven't read about?

Economical isn't one of the words i've seen described for a T6, but I guess Manual will be better for economy, and the mid range engine. I haven't seen any news about an E-Transporter as yet, unless you know something I haven't read about?
Ha ha. Thanks for your reply. I know what you mean about being economical but the prices of fuel in the UK is high. I do love to drive a automatic though. Choices, choices. The info on the e-transporter is below from Oct 2019.

Latest VW electric van news - e-Caddy cancelled, e-Transporter coming in 2020 | Parkers

Ha ha. Thanks for your reply. I know what you mean about being economical but the prices of fuel in the UK is high. I do love to drive a automatic though. Choices, choices. The info on the e-transporter is below from Oct 2019.

Latest VW electric van news - e-Caddy cancelled, e-Transporter coming in 2020 | Parkers

Ahh the ABT version. I'm not sure if that's going to be a mass production Transporter or a small run of them, but I did read about the ABT project on here a while ago.

Listen, if you're buying a T6, just buy the best you can for your budget. DSG is awesome, and so is the 204 lump, and what you don't save in fuel, you make up in fun factor and residual values. Plus once you own a Transporter and you are hooked, the economy pales into significance against modifying these things, which you will if you stay in here too long ;)

Back