Going to take the plunge!! Need some reassurance this isn't an expensive mistake! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My vans conversion cost £25K back in 2018, I think there are huge differences in converters spec’s and standard of work, don’t forget it’s not just what’s on show.
Unfortunately there are converters cashing in with lower quality vans charging top rates. The biggest con being a dressed up Trendline / lower spec’ engine, many are wowed by wheels and fancy two tone paint without regard for the actual base vehicle they are spending 50 plus K on.
In a nutshell :thumbsup:

This sums up the market a 2014 T5 California for just shy of £48k

Some areas haven’t realised that prices have moved from “pandemic” mode to “recession” mode. As well as VWs, I have another wallet emptying hobby, boats. Boat prices have plummeted in the last 12months, back to pre-Covid prices. It’s only a matter of time before vans catch up. That Cali can’t be far off the price it was new, just because they’re asking silly money, doesn’t mean they’re going to get it.

Some areas haven’t realised that prices have moved from “pandemic” mode to “recession” mode. As well as VWs, I have another wallet emptying hobby, boats. Boat prices have plummeted in the last 12months, back to pre-Covid prices. It’s only a matter of time before vans catch up. That Cali can’t be far off the price it was new, just because they’re asking silly money, doesn’t mean they’re going to get it.
Totally agree, I pass this garage regularly and it's been up for over 10 months without a price reduction. As they normally sell high end and performance was wondering if they are selling it on commission for a client, a deluded one.

£46k!! Absolutely joke. Materials can’t be no more than £7k, labour rates £200 per day. If it takes one guy 30 days to do that’s £6000.
No wonder people do it themselves!
Are you living in 1970s?

(1) You can't get a decent full camper conversion (inc. pop-top) for £7k, period.
(2) You also can't expect a professional conversion business to work at cost - there has to be a margin in it for them otherwise it's pointless trading.
(3) You can't make any definitive statement on conversion costs unless you're aware, in detail, of the spec and equipment levels included.

Are you living in 1970s?

(1) You can't get a decent full camper conversion (inc. pop-top) for £7k, period.
(2) You also can't expect a professional conversion business to work at cost - there has to be a margin in it for them otherwise it's pointless trading.
(3) You can't make any definitive statement on conversion costs unless you're aware, in detail, of the spec and equipment levels included.
Give the man a break ok he might of been a bit off the mark with the 7k on materials but to say he can’t make any definitive statement on conversion costs unless he’s aware in details a bit strong!

We all know conversions vary in price and it’s all down to us individuals how much we plow into our much loved machines:thumbsup:

Give the man a break ok he might of been a bit off the mark with the 7k on materials but to say he can’t make any definitive statement on conversion costs unless he’s aware in details a bit strong!

We all know conversions vary in price and it’s all down to us individuals how much we plow into our much loved machines:thumbsup:
??
I'm not saying he (or anyone else) can't have/offer an opinion, just that it's not helpful to state it as fact.

:geek:Give the man a break ok he might of been a bit off the mark with the 7k on materials but to say he can’t make any definitive statement on conversion costs unless he’s aware in details a bit strong!

Reminds me of a builder who quoted me £50/sq metre for repointing some stone work. I pointed (pun) out to him that the materials would be less than a tenner, 1/4 bag of gobbo & 1/2 a bag of sand/sqm. At the rates he quoted & his time estimate, he was going to clear £2k/week. He just shrugged his shoulders & said I’ve got plenty of folks willing to pay. Which brings us back to the £50/night campsites

Are you living in 1970s?

Being a builder with all the tools and knowledge I bet I could do it for that. 2nd hand parts and having expert carpentry skills. I converted my old T5 with all the electrics, sound deadening, windows, rear 3 seater bench, leisure battery, inventor, carpet etc for under £2k. I can buy online the template kit for interior layouts for £100. Buy the lightweight ply and make up units. I used to do upholstery too so can make a seating area.
Don’t get me wrong it may not look like some do it but I’d rather spend the extra bucks saving for my bucket list visit to Bora Bora! :thumbsup:
Oh and I know a Polish friend who supply’s and fits pop tops cheap so this all falls into my £12k budget.

Thx Chippie. I was expecting Bav to reply as he jumps on every thread. :fast rofl:

??
I'm not saying he (or anyone else) can't have/offer an opinion, just that it's not helpful to state it as fact.
I took it as an opinion and not a fact perhaps we’re reading it differently :thumbsdown:

Being a builder with all the tools and knowledge I bet I could do it for that. 2nd hand parts and having expert carpentry skills. I converted my old T5 with all the electrics, sound deadening, windows, rear 3 seater bench, leisure battery, inventor, carpet etc for under £2k. I can buy online the template kit for interior layouts for £100. Buy the lightweight ply and make up units. I used to do upholstery too so can make a seating area.
Don’t get me wrong it may not look like some do it but I’d rather spend the extra bucks saving for my bucket list visit to Bora Bora! :thumbsup:
Oh and I know a Polish friend who supply’s and fits pop tops cheap so this all falls into my £12k budget.
If you have the skills, knowledge, tools and contacts, then more power to you, but most people don't, so it's not a typical situation you've described. Making margin and not pricing a job before understanding the desired spec though, these are not controversial concepts, surely?

Oh Baz! I know who you are now! I see you’re banned on the T5 forum now. Same IP address.
Busted lol :think smile bounce:
Now I know why your always commenting on my posts you bullying troll :p:p

Back