Webasto BI41 top loading fridge - excess water / condensation

Wills

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I’m running the fridge temperature around 6*. I’m experiencing excess water build up @ the bottom when in reasonable use. Is this probably due to excess condensation? Big swings between the thermostat kicking in?
Any thoughts guys?

And from underneath on the outside.
To me it doesn’t look like a drain as I can’t see how it can function.

121E21B2-30D6-4734-B938-3E335E3AAFF0.jpeg

I wondered that when I saw the tube in the box. Maybe it works by diffusion… :thumbsdown:

Haven’t had water pool, but blimey it ices up easily.

You had a tube? Did you have installation instructions?
The drain doesn’t drain water away so maybe its a redundant design functoon left in place but not in use?
Mine ices up quickly too then eventually thaws but the resulting water pools in the bottom. What temp are you operating at?

You had a tube? Did you have installation instructions?
The drain doesn’t drain water away so maybe its a redundant design functoon left in place but not in use?
Mine ices up quickly too then eventually thaws but the resulting water pools in the bottom. What temp are you operating at?
I’ve varied the temp, but even in the early + range I’ve got ice.

I can dig out the instructions later if you want a copy?

A little thread resurrection...
Just taken delivery of a Vitrifrigo TL43 to go into my upcoming camper kitchen fit-out, and I've found the instruction book that came with the fridge contains no information regarding top loading models, it's all front loading types detailed in there.
No mention of the drain, where it's supposed to go, whether how it arrived is how it's supposed to stay etc etc.
It has a bit of soft plastic pipe linking the drain from the cavity (lit by torch from above in the picture below) to another pipe attached nearby, now I don't reckon it's supposed to be fitted like this but without any meaningful instructions otherwise who knows?
The plug that was in the drain hole is removable, but if the fridge had any decent amount of water in it, who knows what would happen if the drain was meant to go somewhere other than how it is.
Why even bother to fit a bit of pipe if the drain is meant to be fed outside? Am I supposed to feed both 'drain' pipes out of the van or just the one?
FridgeDrain1.jpgFridgeDrain2.jpg

Last edited:
I have that one as well. TBH I just dropped it in and used it as is. probably a couple of weeks use with no problems. It was thrown into its cabinet to get us through a couple of trips before we can finish the campervan properly. I’ll have a good look then.

in the meantime you could try emailing Vitrifrigo for specific instructions:

Query sent, there's no literature on their website either..
I am hoping I can adapt it to run off 240V as well (when on hook up or at home for precooling) and think I can just change the controller out for the 101N0510 controller (at an eye watering £236) :eek:

I am hoping I can adapt it to run off 240V as well (when on hook up or at home for precooling) and think I can just change the controller out for the 101N0510 controller (at an eye watering £236) :eek:

did you ever hear back on this?

Bump.
I bought one of these last year (October) and wondered the same about the drain. Any updates on longer term use with the drain pipe “as delivered”? I haven’t taken mine out of the cabinet since installation and the drain pipe is not accessible.

If you’ve got a EHU with leisure battery charger then you shouldn’t need the extra mains controller.

On mine the “night mode” has stopped working. Which is disappointing as it does make a difference to the noise generated by the compressor. Given the lack of customer support from the manufacturer I had better contact the supplier.

I managed to find a 12/240 controller cheap in the states, picked it up while I was there in May. Not fitted it yet. I've had no issues with running the fridge off 12v so far, any drain on the leisure battery has been replaced by the 200W solar panel before I get my lazy arse out of bed most days, I have it on at the moment 24/7 letting the solar do its thing and keeping a few beers cold (thanks Paynewright) to see if it will do extended off grid duty.
As It's not in its final resting place yet (currently sitting in a home made box so it is usable) it still has the tube looped but I will be extending it to drain outside when it goes into position in the units.

Back