That's better.fing25.gif

So position 2 on the telestart should be correct and it is more likely that it is the incorrect telestart. It seems like some sort of signal is being transmitted with a click being noticed.
My next step would be to connect the pin 2 to the yellow at the red plug and see if anything happens then. If W-bus is output I would expect some sort of response from the heater but with it being tied into Lin-bus full control will not be possible.

The seller (on eBay) was able to run my vin number and confirm this was the correct Telestart (according to VW) He seemed quite knowledgable but its possible he was wrong..

I won't be able to run any more tests until I'm back with the van in a couple of weeks, I still need to pick up OBDeleven to check the settings and see if I can confirm communication between the Telestart and the van

Slightly beginning to think I should have fitted a night heater (with remote control) :thumbsdown:

There are so many great uses for the auxiliary heater though I'm not sure I want to give up !

That's better.View attachment 60585

So position 2 on the telestart should be correct and it is more likely that it is the incorrect telestart. It seems like some sort of signal is being transmitted with a click being noticed.
My next step would be to connect the pin 2 to the yellow at the red plug and see if anything happens then. If W-bus is output I would expect some sort of response from the heater but with it being tied into Lin-bus full control will not be possible.

Ok, so I just checked the Kufatec website and the cable I purchased does not specifically say it is compatible with the Telestart I have..

Does this matter? As long as the pin connections are correct I would have thought it should be ok?

Kufatec.jpg

Just to clarify here is a close up picture showing pin numbers I have used on the Telestart end of the cable

PIN Outs  copy.png

Ok, so I just checked the Kufatec website and the cable I purchased does not specifically say it is compatible with the Telestart I have..

Does this matter? As long as the pin connections are correct I would have thought it should be ok?

View attachment 60594

OOOO thank you. I did not know Kufatec done a loom. Ordering.

OK...

I have rented the VCDS kit from the forum for when I'm back with the van next week

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this !

Last edited:
thanks @oldiebut goodie - Unfortunately I'm a few hundred miles away for the van until next week

Once I'm back on monday i'll go through all of the recent suggestions and be able to see what's happening with the VCDS (hopefully!)

OK, I have received the forum VCDS and installed the software on a Mac running Windows 7 - all ok

Below are the screen shots of the parts I 'think' are relevant - I have not used VCDS before so it a bit of a voyage of discovery :)

Initially there were quite a few fault codes (including the auxiliary heater) but I think some of this were due to a flat battery, after clearing them all looks ok I think?

One thing that seemed strange. When I ran an output test on the <air blower, front> VCDS said it was running but did not turn the fan up for the Off setting I manually set them to, should it have over ridden this?

Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 13.14.23.png Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 13.15.06.png Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 13.15.59.png Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 13.16.36.png Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 13.17.28.png

Last edited:
Is there a way to test if the T91 is talking to the system or would it just register as a fault code if it wasn’t ?

Could use advanced measurement values (under 18-Aux.heat) to check if commands from remote are received correctly all the way down to the Webasto.

Tick the following - and press button on remote. Keep eye on third line!
A1_18-setti_3_notactive.png
A1_18-setti_3_ON.png
A1_18-setti_3_OFF.png

One thing that seemed strange. When I ran an output test on the <air blower, front> VCDS said it was running but did not turn the fan up for the Off setting I manually set them to, should it have over ridden this?
I have a theory on this... VCDS tried to command Webasto to command van's own heater/AC via CANbus to turn on the blower, but as ignition is ON the van's heater/AC might just have dropped the external request originated by Webasto.

Did the other output tests run ok - did you hear them running?
- Combustion Air blower
- Recirculation pump
- Metering pump

Remote control signal not recognized is what you might expect if the telestart is sending a W-bus signal rather than Lin-bus - this is why I said to connect it to the yellow W-bus wire at the red plug to see if that talked to the heater. It would have been a 2 minute check rather than wading through all the coding with VCDS. Once you have done that you will have a better idea as whether you have a Lin-bus telestart or not.

I think this was stated here in this thread already but I am going to repeat it, if there is no wording "LIN" after T91 the module is, in my opinion, most likely W-Bus.
And @markob I genuinely hope that you will prove that I was wrong;)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the input, will get back on this tomorrow

@mmi - yes, output test on combustion blower started the fan underneath

I didn’t test the other options

Back