Webasto AT 2000 - Temperature Sensor? How Does It Work (as In Setup With Controller Etc)

That's expensive! That is what you have to pay for small quantities though, I buy them by the 100 or more at 20p or less ( $0.25? ) each.
Digikey is expensive in the UK also.

Thanks for the tip. I received the pins and installed the remote temp sensor in pins 8 and 9. No results or difference. Djmoyer is correct, there must be an
firmware change on these units as to how they sense temperature, for sure not through pins 8 and 9. W

You tried holding the temp sensor in front of the hot air outlet and the heat output didn't drop at all?
That is what you get for buying on the cheap I suppose but I still cannot understand why such a change has been made, I have yet to see it here in the UK and your dealers in the USA haven't heard of it either so it must be a Russian thing only.

Would anyone happen to know what size thermistor is used for the external temp sensor for the air top 2000 stc? Would like to have a bit more accurate temp control but reluctant to spend $100 or more on the genuine part.
Just installed the unit yesterday and I'm a bit disappointed that it doesn't come with a remote sensor or at least use the control panel to sense the temp to control output.
Was using a $150 Chinese heater prior to the upgrade to the webasto and even they have a remote temp sensor, so was very disappointed when I found out $1500 doesn't buy you that luxury when you go European...
Anyway, rant over. Any info would be much appreciated. Cheers

10KΩ NTC
Thanks mate, will wire one in.
Would you happen to have any insight into why the heater wouldn't drop it's output even when the intake temp is above the set temp on the control panel?
It just seemed to stay at max output.
Keep in mind I only installed it yesterday and have only ran it through 1 start/run cycle.
I haven't tried again since but will use it a bit next couple of weeks and get familiar with it.
Cheers

It doesn't drop the output immediately, it is a gradual process and can take 5 to 10 minutes. The pump rate slows and the motor slows but it is hard to hear the changes, it is easy to see when hooked up to the diagnosis program on a computer. I have never seen one that doesn't work correctly although a lot of people say that they are not.

It doesn't drop the output immediately, it is a gradual process and can take 5 to 10 minutes. The pump rate slows and the motor slows but it is hard to hear the changes, it is easy to see when hooked up to the diagnosis program on a computer. I have never seen one that doesn't work correctly although a lot of people say that they are not.
Yeah that makes sense, I will be very surprised if there is an issue. I was more thinking that it may be part of the software to run at max for an amount of time on first start up. But will have a chance to test over the next couple of weeks. Picked up a thermistor today so will rig the remote sensor and test it out.
Out of curiosity, will it trigger a fault if the wires at the CPU for the remote temp sensor is run with an open circuit or closed circuit without a resistor?
Just wondering how the 610Ω resistor triggers the CPU. I think 610Ω on a 10k NTC would be about 100°C?

The 600+ Ω supposedly makes the ecu use the internal temp sensor but I have had heaters in that haven't had a terminating resistor or short across 8 and 9 that work normally so it is anyone's guess as to how the software deals with it. I suspect that a short would confuse it but any resistor 600 - 630Ω range works fine. I haven't bothered testing outside that range though to study the effects closely.

Thanks for the tip. I received the pins and installed the remote temp sensor in pins 8 and 9. No results or difference. Djmoyer is correct, there must be an
firmware change on these units as to how they sense temperature, for sure not through pins 8 and 9. W

I have now received a new Russian STC Air Top 2000 Webasto heater - lo and behold pins 8 & 9 are present and the terminating resistor is in the harness! I wonder what is going on with yours. Someone selling them out of the back door maybe?

When I sell a heater I tell people that the controller isn't a thermostat and that the heaters measure the temperature of the air drawn into the heater. Of course, normally, the heater receives the air to be heated from the lower regions of the vehicle/vessel so it is not going to get warm air for quite a time by which point anyone sitting or standing is sweltering. The best way is to set the rheostat so that the air at the midheight point of the area which is a comfortable setting and use that as the norm, as you have discovered. The multicontrollers lead people into thinking that they are thermostats by having temperatures to set them at which bear no relation to what the human body perceives.
If you want to get it to work with these controllers acting more like a thermostat using the set temperature you do have to add the remote temperature sensor - this overrides the one that is internal to the ecu in the heater.
Hi
sorry to jump on an old thread but I got an airtop 2000 stc with multicontrol fitted last week. I presumed the multicontrol worked like a house thermostat but after reading this thread it does not. For example we want heating for overnight camping so I set the temp on the multi controller to 18 degrees for an unlimited time, would the temperature be regulated to 18 degrees by the controller ? does that mean the fan would be starting/stopping to control the temperature during the overnight period ?

The temperature of the air entering the heater will be monitored and once it reaches 18 degrees the heat output will be gradually decreased to maintain that temp. Meanwhile, if you are, as normal sleeping above the floor level you will begin to roast as the temp higher up will be a lot higher. So without an external temp sensor mounted at say shoulder height you will need to set the required temp a lot lower. The fan does not stop and start, it is continuous.

The temperature of the air entering the heater will be monitored and once it reaches 18 degrees the heat output will be gradually decreased to maintain that temp. Meanwhile, if you are, as normal sleeping above the floor level you will begin to roast as the temp higher up will be a lot higher. So without an external temp sensor mounted at say shoulder height you will need to set the required temp a lot lower. The fan does not stop and start, it is continuous.
all is now clear, thank you very much.

This thread has been very useful (found it on Google) so I came here to relay that it's been reported that the new Air Top 2000 does not support the external temp sensor. I can confirm the one that I just received does not have wiring to pins 8 & 9 of the main harness. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to attempt to add wires there to see if it will still work. My hunch is that if it depended on an external fixed resistor in the past, and now that wiring is gone entirely, then adding the remote sensor will not do anything.

The manuals have not changed to reflect that from what I have seen - is your heater an EU, Russian or a USA model ( or other region )?

Russian. Quoting from someone else's blog:

"A reader of the blog named Spencer kindly wrote in and let me know that the current version of the Webasto STC 2000 does NOT support the remote air temperature sensor that I wrote about (and struck out) above. Heaters4You wrote to him and said “I must to inform you that Webasto heater Air Top remote temperature sensor is not compatible with Webasto Airtop 2000 STC. Webasto removed this function from new heaters Webasto Airtop 2000 STC. They also removed a connector for the remote temperature sensor from wiring.”"

Heaters4You being a Russian company would say that. When I hear it from Webasto themselves I will give it credence, until then I will treat these Russian heaters as knock off ones and continue adding external temp sensors that do work - and yes I do test for full function of any added external sensors on all heaters that I sell including STC models. :)

Fair enough. Are the female pins weatherpack pins? I'm more than happy to modify my harness and see if the remote sensor works.

Edited, sorry, apparently my reading comprehension is pretty poor today. Found the part number.

For what it's worth, I added the remote sensor to pins 8 & 9 of the main harness and there is no change in fan speed at all with the sensor right at the hot air output. Unless there is something else worth trying, they've removed the ability to have an external temp sensor.

Back