Webasto AT 2000 - Temperature Sensor? How Does It Work (as In Setup With Controller Etc)

hi @kn0bby i dont know the TC4 but yes i fitted the external senor - just removed the resistor that it uses originally and fitted this. Difference is huge - we dont cook in the van anymore! heats nicely.

hi @kn0bby i dont know the TC4 but yes i fitted the external senor - just removed the resistor that it uses originally and fitted this. Difference is huge - we dont cook in the van anymore! heats nicely.

Thanks for the reply..

Does the fan stay on constantly or does it kick in and out better now?

The fan on modern heaters is not supposed to kick in and out, the heater should regulate its heat output between maximum and minimum. It is only old heaters that did that with consequent high battery drain due to constant use of the glow plug/pin with continual stops and starts.

just attempting to fit the temperature sensor but it looks like I already have something connected.
025C90B9-1BCE-4865-B05B-274F30644793.jpeg

That is the terminating resistor ( should be 620Ω - haven't got my glasses on at present to check) that forces the heater to use the internal temp sensor. That is what you remove and replace with the external sensor. Just take the terminals out of the holder, put the same terminals on the end of the external sensor lead and fit to the connector. There is no polarity so don't worry about which wire goes into which side of the holder.
Just found my glasses - yes it is 620Ω :)

Thanks for the response..

Ok I got it connected... working without errors... BUT it my Thermo Call TC4 still won’t allow upper or lower temperature alerts.. try and set it and it says the sensor is not present..

Try removing the power to the heater - remove fuse/s for 20 seconds, replace and heater ecu should then recognize the external sensor correctly.
I am no help with the TC4 though - I don't even have a mobile phone.
Someone else with one will hopefully know what to do.

Hi, I have a Webasto S90, I have a pair of wires which I was told would connect to a thermostat in the cabin, but which thermostat should I use - can I just get a cheap one from somewhere?

Thanks

Hi, yes, I guess I mean the Thermo 90S.

The wires are grey and blue.

Thinking about it, could I just wire them into a thermal protector set at 20 degrees normally closed (housed in a ventilated box)? That would be a cheap and easy way to regulate the temp in the cabin?

I wouldn't wire those two wires to anything until you know what they are for!
I have looked at the wiring diagrams for all the Thermotops but cannot find a pair of gray and blue for a thermostat at all. The only reference to a thermostat for them is solely on a green/white or a single violet wire that controls the vehicle blower via a relay.
Gray and violet wires are commonly left unterminated on air heaters as they are used only on commercial vehicles that carry dangerous goods.
Are you certain about the colours and also the model of heater? A pic of the heater sticker would help with tracking down exactly what you have there.

That is good advise, I was told by the previous owner of this boat that a thermostat was originally attached to those wires. My diesel heater engineer connected them together, when he was trying to get it working - so that points to the fact that they need to be connected in order for the Webasto to fire. I need to get the unit re-installed back in the boat as it's just back from being re-furbished,

Hi again, I have traced the wires and taken some photos. It looks like someone has wired up a non-standard thermostat. The wires lead to the Webasto on/off switch, if the wires are open then the on/off switch is isolated - the Webasto is off.

IMG_7055.JPG

IMG_7056.JPG

IMG_7058.JPG

I got my 2000 STC from the Russian source. There is now no option for an remote temperature sensor. Any idea if I can add one? I had already bought a remote sensor from another source. I could not find any wires in positions 8 and 9, and found out from another forum that the option was eliminated on the newer ones.

No wonder it didn't make any sense - non standard wiring.
Just a plain on/off thermostat will work there then.
One of these:

img-1370-copy.jpg

I got my 2000 STC from the Russian source. There is now no option for an remote temperature sensor. Any idea if I can add one? I had already bought a remote sensor from another source. I could not find any wires in positions 8 and 9, and found out from another forum that the option was eliminated on the newer ones.

Put the wires in yourself if not present, the ecu should detect whether it is fitted or not. Strange that there are no wires present though as there should be a 620Ω resistor across those terminals to enable the internal temp sensor in the ecu.

Put the wires in yourself if not present, the ecu should detect whether it is fitted or not. Strange that there are no wires present though as there should be a 620Ω resistor across those terminals to enable the internal temp sensor in the ecu.
I dont see how the connector comes apart. Any idea where I can get the pins?

I just reinstalled the reconditioned Thermo 90 S, but it fails to fire up - giving 5 flashes on the light - can anyone point me in the right direction?

I dont see how the connector comes apart. Any idea where I can get the pins?
What have you got on the end of your remote sensor wire terminal wise? pic would help.
Ecu connector doesn't come apart.
To remove plug from ecu, push tab away from ecu
insert a small screwdriver in the hole in the tab and lever upward against the ecu case, it can then be easily removed.
if no wires in 8 & 9 there should be small silicone rubber plugs in the holes, push these out from the bottom using a suitably sized tool.
The wires with terminals will be pushed in here, polarity immaterial having already fed the wires through the rubber grommet that the main part of the loom passes through entering the heater.
Can soon send you a couple of terminals prewired - just need to know what terminals you already have as above.

I just reinstalled the reconditioned Thermo 90 S, but it fails to fire up - giving 5 flashes on the light - can anyone point me in the right direction?

5 flashes means wiring problem. Do you not have a manual?

Attachments

• thermo90-repair.pdf
    588.9 KB · Views: 12
Back