Webasto AT 2000 - Temperature Sensor? How Does It Work (as In Setup With Controller Etc)

Hi Yes, sorry. I was not sure if the 5 flashes were a wiring issue or a fuel issue.
I was asking if anyone knew which wires I should be investigating?

Thanks!

No one will know - you will have to revisit all that you have touched during overhaul/reinstallation. Fuel would be one or two flashes.
You are counting the long flashes after the 5 short ones?

IMG_20200402_202237615.jpg

Thanks for the offer!

It looks like I can take the terminals out of the remote sensor connector and put them in the 18 pin connector. I will try to release them tomorrow.

I have a harness with no wires in 8 or 9. Does anyone here know what female crimp pin is correct for this plug? Thanks.

20200402_192117.jpg

20200402_192434.jpg

One of the members on the promaster forum says that he was told that it was also removed from the software. Looks like we are both out of luck.

I haven't seen that yet on any software that I have had or seen any mention of that anywhere before this. Have you a link to it?

I haven't seen that yet on any software that I have had or seen any mention of that anywhere before this. Have you a link to it?

From the Promasterforum other member that ordered one from another Russian source:

"These options are removed on software level as well wiring is removed from wire cord as well as additional 4 plug connector for diagnosis:
  • Auxilary temperature sensor
  • Dangerous goods switch ADR
  • analog ventilation switch
  • turning on vehicle ventilation"
The response that I got from my Russian source:

"Indeed, at the beginning of 2019 Webasto modified wiring and they excluded a socket for a temperature sensor from a new wiring version."

I cant seem to release the terminals in the remote sensor connector anyway.

Do you have a part number for them?

That may well explain it then as the latest that I have seen is 2018 as a new one. That seems to be a bit of a retrograde step as the external temp sensor makes a lot of difference to how the heater performs. I wonder if it is just for the Russian market for some weird reason.
You shouldn't be needing to remove the terminals from the sensor wiring usually as one half of the connector is already wired to the sensor and the other half is supplied in a bag ready to connect to the wires from the ecu. Why are you trying to remove them? ( I have already told you they are the wrong terminals for the ecu plug and posted pic of the correct ones)
This is the terminal that is in the remote sensor already - as you can see it is totally different to the ones for the ecu plug:

img-1381-copy.jpg

That may well explain it then as the latest that I have seen is 2018 as a new one. That seems to be a bit of a retrograde step as the external temp sensor makes a lot of difference to how the heater performs. I wonder if it is just for the Russian market for some weird reason.
You shouldn't be needing to remove the terminals from the sensor wiring usually as one half of the connector is already wired to the sensor and the other half is supplied in a bag ready to connect to the wires from the ecu. Why are you trying to remove them? ( I have already told you they are the wrong terminals for the ecu plug and posted pic of the correct ones)
This is the terminal that is in the remote sensor already - as you can see it is totally different to the ones for the ecu plug:

View attachment 64960

Sorry, I thought that you were responding to the OP pic of the 18 pin connector with a pin that he had shown.

Any idea if the resistance characteristics of the onboard temp sensor are the same at the remote one? Can I just either just cut those wires and splice them into the remote sensor? Or find a connector that matches the onboard one and use that?

Any idea if the software is changeable? And by who?

The remote sensor is usually fitted by cutting the 620Ω out as detailed earlier. If you mean that you wish to connect to the onboard temp sensor you will have to remove/attach to this sensor presumably. I have never done this, it may work or it may not. I doubt it. It will invalidate any warranty if you have any.
There may be software wizards somewhere that could hack the software but I wouldn't hold your breath whilst looking for one.

Onboard sensor:

img-1382-copy.jpg

The remote sensor is usually fitted by cutting the 620Ω out as detailed earlier. If you mean that you wish to connect to the onboard temp sensor you will have to remove/attach to this sensor presumably. I have never done this, it may work or it may not. I doubt it. It will invalidate any warranty if you have any.
There may be software wizards somewhere that could hack the software but I wouldn't hold your breath whilst looking for one.

Onboard sensor:

View attachment 64969

Do you have any schematics for the circuit board?

I dont have any warranty, since I bought it outside the US.

I will have my Electrical Engineer son look at it, next time that he is in town. I think that I will at least run the wiring for the sensor in case that he can figure it out.

Thanks for all of your help!

You will not find any schematics in the wild.
You should have warranty provided it was installed by a Webasto approved installer as their warranty is worldwide unlike Eberspacher.

I'm circling back on this. I have been in contact with the North America Webasto tech support. They have never heard of a 2000stc having the firmware reprogrammed to not accept the remote temp sensor. Nor have they ever seen a harness like the one I have (missing wires for pins 8 and 9). I get the standard response, "contact your seller". Like many, I purchased this unit from a Russian dealer who know nothing about the units he sells. That being said, is there any contact information for the manufacture itself? Someone is making these and should have an answer. Right now the standard reostat operates like an on/off switch, not very usable in a small van. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Just fit the external temp sensor. You can soon check if it is functioning. A standard rheostat will not work as an on/off switch, that is not how the heaters work. The ecu compares the air temperature passing over it with the heat setting of the rheostat and adjusts the heat output accordingly. There is something wrong with your setup if it is working as an on/off switch. Or you are turning the rheostat to too low a setting below the ambient air temp. If you go more than three or so degrees below ambient you will switch the heater off. Usually it is a case of the operator not understanding the function of the components that leads to this type of gripe over lack of control. I test my heaters on the computer and watch the motor speed lessen and the fuel rate drop as the temperature is achieved but still people tell me that the heater isn't working correctly.
I have seen harnesses without cabling to 8 & 9 but have had no problems adding an external sensor to them. I have had both ST and STC harnesses without 8 & 9 but I never know what market they were released on but they have all come from EU sources.

Yes I understand how the temperature is regulated as air moves in to the unit. I do have a new temp sensor that I would like to try. But I've had difficulty finding the pins I need in order to connect it to eight and nine. Can any one recommend a source for these pins that I need for my harness.

TE Micro Timer - part No. 964274-2
Available from CPC, RS online, Mouser and the like or ebay at a big price mark-up.

Back