Webasto AirTop 2000 STC - Switching Rheostat for Multicontrol Digital

WalshyR32

Hi Crew,

Is it possible to switch my rheostat dial for the digital control panel? Any particular technical difficulties / rewiring needed? I've had a look on YouTube but can only find 2 videos. One is in french but looks like he connects it directly to the wire which the rheostat was hooked up to and in the other video the guy uses a completely different wire.

You can only if you have the connector marked "telestart"in your loom with yellow/red/brown wires otherwise you will need to replace the loom for one that has. You cannot use the same connector as the rheostat.

Thanks, I guess I’ll have to go digging to see what I have. Are the looms plug and play if I do need to replace what I have?

hi, I asked the same question a while back - below is a link to the thread.
would be interested to hear if you decide to go ahead and the results.

hi, I asked the same question a while back - below is a link to the thread.
would be interested to hear if you decide to go ahead and the results.

Hi Nigel.

I'll be having a look at the loom this weekend and will let you know what I find. If I do decide to go ahead and replace then I'll be making a YouTube video for my channel so I'll send you the details.

Thanks, I guess I’ll have to go digging to see what I have. Are the looms plug and play if I do need to replace what I have?
Plug and play but you do have to access the heater, battery and the end point where you mount the controller. If it is built in without a thought as to service you may have to do some dismantling if the loom isn't free to be pulled through.
Loom if needed: Wiring Harness - Air Top 2000 STC RV Multicontrol version

Plug and play but you do have to access the heater, battery and the end point where you mount the controller. If it is built in without a thought as to service you may have to do some dismantling if the loom isn't free to be pulled through.
It was installed as part of a conversion. The heater unit is under the passenger seat and the current Rheostat is on the opposite side (where the sliding door would be. Without looking I'm assuming they will have run the wiring up the B pillar and across the ceiling and back down again. I'll take off the panel and see if the additional connector is there.

Hi mate.

I’ve had the panel off and found the connector into the rheostat. I can’t see another wire but this is yellow/brown/red so is it defo not possible to use this connection?

They have installed my unit underneath the van and closed it all in with a protective tray so I think trying to get a new loom in would be a nightmare.

Any advice much appreciated.

NFIC.02E564A8-14F1-47E1-ABB9-7717994729E3.jpeg15AA0271-9776-4905-964D-98011148C013.jpeg

What a bodge up!

You ought to name and shame whoever installed that - that is DIY at its worst. They have not even used the correct colour of wiring - it should be red, black, blue and white there. I hate to think what else has been bodged. Why they did not use a pukka loom extension but used those horrible crimps and oversized cable is beyond me. I hate to think how they have connected to the terminals in the plug.

You CANNOT use that connector - that is rheostat only and does not carry W-Bus which is needed for Multicontrols and Telestarts etc.

All I can suggest is to take it back to them or have it done correctly at a proper Webasto dealer if you cannot get at the heater yourself.

What a bodge up!

You ought to name and shame whoever installed that - that is DIY at its worst. They have not even used the correct colour of wiring - it should be red, black, blue and white there. I hate to think what else has been bodged. Why they did not use a pukka loom extension but used those horrible crimps and oversized cable is beyond me. I hate to think how they have connected to the terminals in the plug.

You CANNOT use that connector - that is rheostat only and does not carry W-Bus which is needed for Multicontrols and Telestarts etc.

All I can suggest is to take it back to them or have it done correctly at a proper Webasto dealer if you cannot get at the heater yourself.
Oh boy!

I actually emailed them and got an air reply that they’re no longer in business……they had good reviews as a converter on here too.

Any idea how much I’m looking at the put it right? I know you probably can’t tell just from this picture.

I haven't a clue as to what it would cost, you would have to get a reputable dealer to take a look.
This sort of thing happens time and time again with converters that cannot even follow Webasto installation instructions - they rely on the poor owners lack of knowledge to cut corners and bodge it.
I wouldn't let my converter install my own heater as when I questioned him about it he hadn't a clue about using oem mounting brackets and larger heaters. Converters buy a boxed heater and bang them in without reading and thinking!

No worries OBG, thanks for your advice, I appreciate it. I’ll try to find a webasto dealer close to me (I’m in Czech Republic) and see what they can do but seems I’ll be sticking with the rheostat for now.

Back