Water Inlet For Underslung Tank Under Bonnet ?

Hi, It was my converter who fitted the whole van and water tanks, so I don’t have any pics of how he did it. However I can always take any photos you want if that helps?

Did you have the Cak tanks? The front one fits in the recess that is the bit above the step so you'd not be able to fill the tank up. Its a great place apart from that.

I'm thinking of putting the inlet inside the door, essentially mirroring the fuel but on the drivers side. It doesn't go in the van but straight underneath. The inlet would be above the tanks so should be able to fill them up. Just means I'll have to block a mouth on one tank and move it to the other one. I hope my plastic welding skills are upto scratch!!

Also has anyone seen any low profile inlets? Just conscious that there won't be enough room!

20200516_162614.jpg

I do seem to have cak tanks, however I didn’t fit them... I will take some photos and see where the filler routing is!

Boopzz, did you ever get around to putting the filler in the B pillar? I was looking to do the same thing but was a bit put off by the amount of cutting involved to get up there, when it is such an important structural part of the van. I was looking at fitting a filler in the drivers step, but even with the CAK skirt tank, the filler would actually be below the top of the tank so you wouldn't be able to fill it completely.

I'm currently converting a Norwegian van, but on my last British one, the cabinets were on the same side as the tanks, so I ran the filler up through the floor and along the back of those, and then had enough spare hanging up at the back of the wardrobe to be able to pull it out the back of the tailgate and fill outside of the van to avoid any spills. Since my cabinets are on the other side this time, and 4 motion makes it hard to get to the back under the van, I'm considering engine bay or making a small unit just on the left as you open the sliding door so that any spillage goes on to the step.

My fresh water inlet is tucked under the rear bumper.
Hi, I've just purchased a van with a water inlet under rear bumper. How do you stop the water coming out of the tank when it's full. Not only is it coming from the overflow under the van but also the inlet too... thanks

Hi, I've just purchased a van with a water inlet under rear bumper. How do you stop the water coming out of the tank when it's full. Not only is it coming from the overflow under the van but also the inlet too... thanks
Good question! I just assumed it wouldn’t drain out the inlet but recently I’ve noticed my tank going down when it hasn’t been used. I’ll need to investigate & will get back to you but I suspect I have a leak somewhere else.

Many thanks to all, I have agreed with converter to add to passenger step as suggested
Interesting and looks great. But I wonder if there are ssues with leaks when the van's on a hill? We've had problems with one fitted to the bumper because it's too low; water pours out of the filler cap on a hill. Weve got CAK under tanks fitted along the off side.

View attachment 38788 View attachment 38789 I find it very easy to access and any overfill just pours out of the door step!
It's low on the van. Any problems with leaks round the filler cap ... is the tank just underneath? ....We've problems with one fitted to the rear bumper. We lose half the water going up hill ! ??.....

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
Hi, never had a leak at all, the filler has an o ring to seal. The tanks are under the floor so the filler is the highest point. You just need to make sure you are level when filling and emptying. Works for us …

Hi, never had a leak at all, the filler has an o ring to seal. The tanks are under the floor so the filler is the highest point. You just need to make sure you are level when filling and emptying. Works for us …
This is super helpful and we've decided to go down this route. Thanks !

In fact, after all that it wasn't possible because part of the tank was higher than the cap - so yesterday our installer here in France put it under the bonnet instead and it works a treat. He somehow took the pipe over the wheel arch.

CAE05332-C52F-45BB-B1BC-8DAA47B72EA7.jpeg

I have asked my converter to put the water tank inlet under the bonnet but he says
  1. we’ve looked at it and it’s not feasible to get the pipe through the bulkhead and into the engine bay
Not sure if I have dreamt this but I am sure I have seen this done and wanted to avoid spoiling the sides on the van.
Is this possible and has anyone else done this or any comments ?
Probably too late but for others It is possible, see my photo on this thread

Reactions: CAB
Filling line has a non return valve (NRV), hence water only flows in. This is for filling under pressure (mains hose).
You can fit a by-pass on the NRV with an isolating valve if you want to fill by gravity.
No need to chop holes in the van or fill from the engine compartment / step / inside van.
Search on the Forum and you’ll find an example.

What hose are you guys using to the tank from the filler cap? Our has a filler on the back of the wardrobe inside the tailgate and a tank by the wheel arch but the converters used a corrugated hose so water gets trapped in the hose and it’s gone manky. I think they should have used smooth bore hose but it’s a relatively short run, I think you should consider how hygienic you can keep any hose/filler when locating it.

What hose are you guys using to the tank from the filler cap? Our has a filler on the back of the wardrobe inside the tailgate and a tank by the wheel arch but the converters used a corrugated hose so water gets trapped in the hose and it’s gone manky. I think they should have used smooth bore hose but it’s a relatively short run, I think you should consider how hygienic you can keep any hose/filler when locating it.
12mm smooth bore, most importantly is opaque to sunlight to prevent algae growing. Less than a meter from connector to the tank.
Water is dosed with Milton (put into layflat filling hose), never had an issue with microbes.

Filling line has a non return valve (NRV), hence water only flows in. This is for filling under pressure (mains hose).
You can fit a by-pass on the NRV with an isolating valve if you want to fill by gravity.
No need to chop holes in the van or fill from the engine compartment / step / inside van.
Search on the Forum and you’ll find an example.
yes we tried a NRV with the cap fitted in the bumper but could never get enough pressure to get beyond it. ! But we're no experts. I can say it was abit of a nightmare especially in the heat wave of June. We think the engine compartment solution will very well for us. It certainly flows in very easily and we gain a couple of litres of water.
Sorry this is on the wrong place, this was a reply to DXX re filler caps. I'm rubbish at posting on forums.

Last edited:
yes we tried a NRV with the cap fitted in the bumper but could never get enough pressure to get beyond it. ! But we're no experts. I can say it was abit of a nightmare especially in the heat wave of June. We think the engine compartment solution will very well for us. It certainly flows in very easily and we gain a couple of litres of water.
Sorry , wrong place, this was a reply to DXX re filler caps. I'm rubbish at posting on forums.
Think that’s my bad really for throwing in a curve ball question!

Sorry this is on the wrong place, this was a reply to DXX re filler caps. I'm rubbish at posting on forums.
You just need a NRV with a lower spring rate.

Back