Water Inlet For Underslung Tank Under Bonnet ?

I have asked my converter to put the water tank inlet under the bonnet but he says
  1. we’ve looked at it and it’s not feasible to get the pipe through the bulkhead and into the engine bay
Not sure if I have dreamt this but I am sure I have seen this done and wanted to avoid spoiling the sides on the van.
Is this possible and has anyone else done this or any comments ?

Probably feasible to do but I wouldn’t want my fresh water inlet anywhere near the engine bay where someone could splash oil, antifreeze, etc., or worse still, accidentally top up with something other than water.

This is mine, it took a lot of soul searching before cutting the hole, but I think it looks ok, it’s a stainless steel marine water filler
F7A91749-6304-44F9-9A1D-0096DB41F961.jpeg

I have asked my converter to put the water tank inlet under the bonnet but he says
  1. we’ve looked at it and it’s not feasible to get the pipe through the bulkhead and into the engine bay
Not sure if I have dreamt this but I am sure I have seen this done and wanted to avoid spoiling the sides on the van.
Is this possible and has anyone else done this or any comments ?
I’ve seen a photo before but now cannot find it - you can fit a water inlet on the offside of the engine bay, it routing down and underneath the van to a fixed chassis tank.

The other option would be to go through the sidestep.

Don’t rule out an inside filler if appearance is a priority, mine has the inlet set in one of the cabinets when I open the tailgate.

I put my inlet on the inside with a vent out through the roof, the lower white module is a shower hose connector inlet

IMG_2059.JPG

Looks a nice solution, but I wouldn't like to use it when the engine is hot. Any overspill could go onto the turbo creating steam and could crack it.

We had the same issue on our Rolls-Royce ghost screen wash. When filling that, it could splash the turbo, and screen wash has ethernol in it. As redesign quickly happened before production started.

Our filler is inside the rear door. It’s a removable 23l tank but a bit awkward to install when full. I therefore added a ‘bulkhead fitting’ so I have the option of filling in situ with only a small reduction in theoretical capacityBD8D5597-5923-4F02-8797-ABDD0E076AD3.jpeg

Mine is fitted inside on the drivers door step, a marine stainless filler... I can get photos if you want some?

That’s great, it saves cutting into the side of the van or messing under the bonnet. I have seen some commercial conversions on t5s who’s panels are covered in plastic fillers, vents and grills...

I assume fitting it in the step only works for underslung tanks due to the drop? (Fill point needs to be above tank I guess)

Nice idea tho.

View attachment 38788 View attachment 38789 I find it very easy to access and any overfill just pours out of the door step!
I've just fitted the front tank of the CAK twin tank system. Had planned on putting in the inlet at the back under the light cluster but I don't see a way of routing it. Thought either in the drivers step or on the inside of the drivers door opposite to where the fuel filler is. Good to see at least one person do this! Have you any pics during install? Would be interested to see how the piping routes etc

Back