Waeco crx0500 fridge not working [Resolved]

The battery was fully charged to start with the charger had a green light on it signifying it was fully charged. The cycling was happening right from the start as soon as I put it on battery only

Ah, in that case I’m not sure. We probably need someone with experience with that specific fridge I’m afraid.

Sounds like your leisure battery could be on the way out maybe.
What charger are you using ?

Pete

Yeah, possible. @Handypete - can you keep the meter on as the fridge cycles on a full battery so we know how low the voltage is dipping as the fridge pulls current?

Sounds like your leisure battery could be on the way out maybe.
What charger are you using ?

Pete
It’s a brand new battery I changed it ( probably unnecessary) as I thought it might be the problem. I don’t have the charger info to hand but it was fitted by Danbury when they did the conversion

It would be useful to know what charger it is.

What happens if you turn the fridge on with the charger still on and connected ?

Pete

Will try over the weekend. What voltage should a fully charged battery be at?

Difficult to say because as soon as you load up a battery, even slightly, it’s voltage drops.
I would be happy with 12.6v with a light load.
But the charger used to charge it is important, hence my question.

Pete

Ok, it’s a decent powered charger. See what happens if you turn the fridge on, with that charger still powered on and charging the battery.

Pete

Went for a day out in the van on Saturday. The fridge had been on mains all night . Battery was 12.6v prior to leaving . After driving 200 miles I checked the fridge and it was cold and the compressor was running for extended periods. When the compressor stopped no fault lights were displayed.
On returning home some 12 hours and 500 miles later the fridge was still nice and cold. I checked the battery before I plugged back into the mains and it was 13.7 v.
Checked just now (8pm) and it’s at 13v and the battery charger is displaying a green light that signifies that the battery is fully charged.
So it seems that the issue is definitely about voltage rather than a fridge fault. The alternator would appear to be capable of charging the battery to a higher voltage than the battery charger.

What sort of charger do you have between the alternator and the leisure battery ?

Pete

And that mains battery charger is configurable to the type of leisure battery you have - is it set correctly ?

Pete

What sort of charger do you have between the alternator and the leisure battery ?

Pete
And that mains battery charger is configurable to the type of leisure battery you have - is it set correctly ?

Pete
Just the above pictured charger as far as I know. Re configuration,I know there are some dip switches that can be set depending on the type of battery but I assume Danbury(the installers) have set it up correctoy.

Ok, that charger only works when hooked up to mains. You must have another device that charges the leisure battery when you are driving. It obviously seems to work with your fridge, but would be useful to know what it is.
Danbury should be able to tell you.

Pete

Ok, that charger only works when hooked up to mains. You must have another device that charges the leisure battery when you are driving. It obviously seems to work with your fridge, but would be useful to know what it is.
Danbury should be able to tell you.

Pete
Ok where would it be located. Could it be in the engine bay as I’ve not seen anything else that looks like a charger. When I’ve contacted Danbury in the past the person that picks up the initial emails is super helpful but the person he delegated to was just not interested in helping with enquiries

It’s probably beside your leisure battery. If it’s a VSR rather than a DC-DC charger, then it could be fairly small.
Some photos of the area around the leisure battery might show it.

Pete

It’s probably beside your leisure battery. If it’s a VSR rather than a DC-DC charger, then it could be fairly small.
Some photos of the area around the leisure battery might show it.

Pete
Ok thanks I will have a look tomorrow

Just the above pictured charger as far as I know. Re configuration,I know there are some dip switches that can be set depending on the type of battery but I assume Danbury(the installers) have set it up correctoy.
May I suggest to check it yourself, never assume that someone has set it properly. I fixed electrical breakdowns all my working life and sometimes got caught out when I assumed someone had done the obvious but hadn't.

May I suggest to check it yourself, never assume that someone has set it properly. I fixed electrical breakdowns all my working life and sometimes got caught out when I assumed someone had done the obvious but hadn't.

Absolutely, never assume a convertor has set something like that correctly.

Again thanks for all the inputs much appreciated!
Battery at 12.7 v this morning.
see photos
1) I assume this is the other charger( I thought it was a second part of the mains charging system)
2) The battery I have just fitted
3) The dip switches and diagram of where they should be.
regarding the dip switches it’s hard to make out in the photo but they both appear to be in the on position

5E1BFCE1-436C-4AFA-BD7A-FA3CE7852A02.jpeg
9604EB65-BC2D-4521-8E52-39E55DDC7CCB.jpeg
07901B29-23A9-475D-8C7E-0CEE553BE7F0.jpeg

That Ripca device is a DC-DC charger, which is good news. It charges the leisure battery and powers the fridge etc when you are driving.
Not sure where else to go now without someone having a good look at the wiring, but is it working OK now ?

Pete

Back