Fridge not working, possibly overheating

Mrs Salad

The Waeco CRX0500 fridge has just stopped in the van. Hubby thinks it's overheated. The space it is built in is very tight so thinking not enough airflow. When we pulled the fridge out and battery charged back up, the fan is working on the fridge. Thinking of buying and fitting 2 additional fans to fit to help the air circulation. Has anyone experienced this please ? Sorry, I may have posted this in other discussions, I'm still getting to grips with the forum.

What were the symptoms - what lights were flashing inside ?
Pete

You need to know how many times the LED indicator inside was flashing.. 5 flashes means overheating..

But it could be anything at this stage without more information

Screenshot_20210718-175630_Firefox.jpg

Also, what do you mean by “battery charged back up” ?

Pete

Sorry for my lack of knowledge lol. The fridge is working but when the outside temperature gets too hot, it stops working. The table was stored behind the drivers seat which was blocking the vents for the fridge. Yesterday, I took the van out, no table blocking vents and the fridge still died.

Also, I'm guessing if it is the excessive heat at the moment, fitting extra fans to the side of the fridge may help the problem in high temperatures.

Also, I'm guessing if it is the excessive heat at the moment, fitting extra fans to the side of the fridge may help the problem in high temperatures.
The air needs to circulate so as well as vents at the side/back it also needs a gap at the bottom - check your carpet hasn’t blocked the gap between the floor and it’s feet which raise it up and create a gap.

I have a CRX50, the inside of my van must have been in the 40’s deg C yesterday, the fridge was cold on setting 2 and shutdown on thermostat.
The fridges are very good in high ambient temperatures.
The manual shows installation requirement including ventilation, if this is followed there should not be an issue.
Manuals are available online to download.

As others have said, use the fault LED pattern to work out what the actual error is. It might well be heat related, but this can be confirmed using the guide @JasonW posted above. It’s also perfectly possible that the heat is actually triggering a connection/wiring issue.

The internal temperature in my van showed 38 degrees the other day but the fridge and freezer were still working fine..

We really need the error code of the led inside the fridge to help understand your problem..

When you say fridge dies.. do you mean no power to it..?

As above, we need the LED fault codes (inside the door) and confirmation that the battery it is running off is properly charged.

Pete

Back