What's a typical fridge power consumption?

Littleblackflash

Auto Engineer
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I've a 3way fridge which is really old, but I still use it on a hook up. I've now decided to go off-grid and invested in a Renogy system.

I've 2x 100w solar panels feeding a 100AH lithium battery which is all working fine. Unfortunately when I connected my fridge, it was drawing 6-7amps which I thought would drop off once the fridge was cold. 8hrs later, my battery was down to 3% and the fridge was still pulling 6-7amps.

My old fridge is using more power that the solar can keep up with. In 8hrs it used over 70Ahr of power. Is this normal? It sounds high to me.

Sounds really high.

My 40L Alpicool ie cheap Chinese compressor fridge is specced 45W ie about 3.5-4A and only when it’s running. Ofc actual consumtion depends on ambient temperature but I can definitely run it at least 24h from 75Ah leisure battery without EHU or solar.

Last edited:
Reactions: mmi
I've a 3way fridge which is really old, but I still use it on a hook up. I've now decided to go off-grid and invested in a Renogy system.

I've 2x 100w solar panels feeding a 100AH lithium battery which is all working fine. Unfortunately when I connected my fridge, it was drawing 6-7amps which I thought would drop off once the fridge was cold. 8hrs later, my battery was down to 3% and the fridge was still pulling 6-7amps.

My old fridge is using more power that the solar can keep up with. In 8hrs it used over 70Ahr of power. Is this normal? It sounds high to me.
3way fridges draw a constant power.... Normally around 80w or 6A.. continuously.

And do not cycle like compressor fridges.

The only option is to swap out for a compressor fridge....or beef up your solar and lithium to cope with the drain ( or run it on gas outside )

We had the same problem...... And ultimately upgraded to twin compressor fridges...

This is now.....

20220828_164214.jpg20220828_163132.jpg

The fridge fitted to the California is a Secop 101N0650 mated to a DB35F. This is pretty much the standard 12V fridge and very similar to the installation on my boat.

It uses this much energy ....

But is not an old 3 way!
No it's not, but my response was to post #4 ... I should have made this more clear - sorry.

The point was, a 3-way will use loads more power when run off 12V so it might be worth replacing with a 12v compressor fridge if you can't or don't want to run it off gas when off-grid.

If you want to keep it, run it on gas and then you have no electricity requirement.

Reactions: CAB

The Motorhome forums discuss this, can be done during the day with lots of solar (300+) and perfect conditions (i.e. Spain midsummer) but never for 24 hours.

We went compressor after using the 3 way type fridge…..so our TB51 indelB consumes about 0.5 amp per hour…we had lots of help from @Dellmassive ….

1E7093B3-B2CE-4ED5-B170-F540E83A8C8B.jpeg
ps …our solar 350watts more than copes with the battery drain….but next year will swop our AGM for lithium…we recon the fridge would last easy 4days with out solar on a 100ah lithium battery

Last edited:
Thanks all. The good news is it's doing what it's designed to do, just not what I need.
I think a new fridge is the answer. My 3way one is 20years old now and the gas doesn't work anymore. I've been using it on 240v hook up but with my new battery and solar, I was hoping to be off grid totally.
I've a 50A DC-DC Renogy controller to add, so with 200w of solar, I should have enough charging capacity for a compressor fridge. I just need to decide which one to get.

I have 200w of solar power on the roof. Which can run a Dometic Coolmatic CRX 50 fridge indefinitely in the sun. Overcast is still good but a bit of care and common sense needed. Not to open door more than necessary. I had a plaintiff phone call from my son who’s taken the van off grid in Cornwall this week. He needed advice as the battery was going flat. Turns out he had been overusing the inverter, he obviously hadn’t quite got the idea of the difference between electricity on tap at home and being frugal with the 12v batteries that run the systems in the van. He reported back some hours later to say after switching off some gadgets and grand daughters games the batteries were charging again. Quelle surprise! :rolleyes:

Back