VW Faces production delays amid dispute

I get your frustration Caulkhead, and even though Manufacturers vehemently try to protect their supply chains, its very often 3rd party suppliers that cock the job up.
I placed my order Mid Feb, and V.W's system didn't accept my order for almost 4 weeks. When it was finally accepted, my anticipated build week was 18 (last week in April).
I finally received notification yesterday (19-03-2017) that it is now confirmed and fingers crossed will be built next week! Hang in there mate!

I'll keep my fingers crossed that all goes well for you with their present problems.
What is annoying is the fact that they are the biggest Motor Vehicle Manufacturer in the world so I believe yet they still have major problems such as this .

We placed order on 4th April too for Caravelle 204 DSG to be told by the van centre that the order cannot be entered due to the production being stopped for new model being brought out. Van centre rep telling us nothing so contacted Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles UK directly and below is their reply today

"I have discussed your enquiry with our Product Support Team; they have advised that there may have been some miscommunication. Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles have currently discontinued production of the 204 engines on the Caravelle and they are no longer available to order. However, all other engine sizes are still available to order. As far as we can tell as an importer of Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles there are no plans to release a new Caravelle model."

Interesting ?!?!
Just to confirm was it petrol or diesel you ordered ?

Our order is for diesel 204 DSG in Caravelle - don't really know what to do next as not keen on the 150hp one

I ordered a Cali 204dsg 4 motion on the 4th April, all I have been told is that they are having problems with one of their parts suppliers for only the 204 engine and possibly no more orders will be put into the system until June .
Hopefully I shall have some more information by Monday of next week.
Not good from a Major Motor Manufacturer who doesn't give you any information either good or bad.

I wonder if they are going to do petrol only on the caravelle range .
It seems strange they bring the T6 out with euro 6 then discontinue the 204 within a year .
They must plan these things a few years in advance .

How weird, that power plant still exists, in the same factory as where all other T6's are put together, but they choose in their infinite wisdom to not place it in one particular model. VW product brilliance in full flow on this one; must make for awesome boardroom meetings.

Your explanation Caulkhead sort of ties into what we were told originally i.e. order book might not be opened for the 'new model' as the van centre called it until week 22 which is the end of May/beginning of June week. Please let us know if you hear anymore and I'll do the same

Here's hoping it's just a supply chain issue and that we'll get the 204 engine albeit late

Your explanation Caulkhead sort of ties into what we were told originally i.e. order book might not be opened for the 'new model' as the van centre called it until week 22 which is the end of May/beginning of June week. Please let us know if you hear anymore and I'll do the same

Here's hoping it's just a supply chain issue and that we'll get the 204 engine albeit late

Will do

Sounds like Chinese whispers. Everyone is saying somthing slightly differently.
It's a moo point.

Can't say that everyone is saying very much different especially AN & myself who have orders in, it's a fact that VW themselves acknowledge they have a problem with parts for the 204 and that order books/system will not re-open until May/June on the 204

Hi Caulkhead - have you heard anything new/more concrete on your side?
Our van centre is sticking to their story about new model year but have changed their tune re timings. They are now saying that the order book might open on week 22 at the earliest but there are no guarantees i.e. it might be later and they will not commit to any worst case scenario date wise.
I've spoken with another van centre who in their used van sales mode are saying that there will be no more 204 engines made for leisure vehicles (i.e. Caravelle and California) at all ever period. They say that if our order is not in status 20 = confirmed by factory it will never be made with 204 engine. This sort of ties in with what Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles UK told us on 21 April - well their wording was a bit vague but we can't get anything further out of them either.
I really can't believe VW would stop making 204 engines for good for certain very popular models but don't know what to make of the timelines getting more vague/longer.
Just getting so frustrated

It just doesn't add up to me, caravelles and California's are flagship range topping vehicles why would VW remove the top engine from only the top models, I would have thought the 204 would be the most popular choice on caravelles especially the execs.
From a business sense it Seems like they have made a crazy decision IMO lets just hope an MY18 is released with that engine available

Hi Caulkhead - have you heard anything new/more concrete on your side?
Our van centre is sticking to their story about new model year but have changed their tune re timings. They are now saying that the order book might open on week 22 at the earliest but there are no guarantees i.e. it might be later and they will not commit to any worst case scenario date wise.
I've spoken with another van centre who in their used van sales mode are saying that there will be no more 204 engines made for leisure vehicles (i.e. Caravelle and California) at all ever period. They say that if our order is not in status 20 = confirmed by factory it will never be made with 204 engine. This sort of ties in with what Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles UK told us on 21 April - well their wording was a bit vague but we can't get anything further out of them either.
I really can't believe VW would stop making 204 engines for good for certain very popular models but don't know what to make of the timelines getting more vague/longer.
Just getting so frustrated

Hi,
No I havent head anything more yet except to say that you can still order vans, but not the Cali Ocean.
As you say it really doesn't make sense.
Still there is always the 'Vito' 4x4

Hi Caulkhead, we've had enough of waiting thus pulled the plug on our order and sourced a near enough spec'd nearly new/ Picking it up on 4 weeks.
Hope you get some answers soon and better still, factory confirmed order.

The Cali configurator still lets you choose 204 in 4 motion with or without DSG.are you sure they have not used up their quota for the year?

Back