VW bike rack version 1 or 2

They are fixed with Allen keys, but has to be done with the tailgate open. You would need a bit of brute force and damage to the light cluster to steal it. So possible, but with enough force/portable tools anything can be stolen.

I chose the newer version because the rails are longer. This allows me to stagger the bikes more, and so get 4 proper mountain bikes (Boost axles) on without taking them to bits.

Had both and I much prefer V1. It seats flat with roof profile, no problems in 2mt car park.
Bikes seat lower and very important, rails can accommodate modern large tyres where the V2 doesn’t. If it’s about look, v2 prettier. If you use your bikes, V1 all the time.
FE8-D381-F-9-FBA-4-B27-9-B3-A-FAFEA4-E4897-F.jpg

Last edited:
I see people saying not to open the tailgate when bikes are loaded. Why is this? Is it in case the handlebars hit the roof, or is it a question of load/stress?

Load/stress is the main reason. Mine will open and just clear the solar panel on the poptop with one cyclocross bike, but I wouldn’t want to do it often or with a rack full of enduros.

From what I can see from photos, the V2 has longer rails. This lets you stagger the bikes further side to side. That’s the trick to the bike Jenga.

The struts will not hold the weight with the bikes on it. I don’t think the weight gives trouble to the tailgate hinges. And of course it happens you need to slightly open the tailgate to get something out or in.

The struts will not hold the weight with the bikes on it. I don’t think the weight gives trouble to the tailgate hinges. And of course it happens you need to slightly open the tailgate to get something out or in.
That’s what I thought. I’m banking on being able to open it a fraction and get stuff out while someone holds it open!

It says in the manual not to open the tailgate with the rack loaded so I generally don’t and never have with more than one bike loaded but have carefully opened a bit to turn the gas on in the locker mainly

I guess my recent eBay purchase is a used type 1? What I do know is thatIMG_3473.jpg
IMG_3486.jpg
two was easy and four is tough. It was one the thing doing in on the drive in the sun today, I must admit I am not looking forward in doing this in the rain in Wales next weekend

Hmm
Just trying to load our two road bikes onto the rack for the first time, have the V1 rack, I’m finding the first short arm seems too short, when I try to clamp onto bike, the bike leans towards the van so much, the handlebars almost touch onto the roof, the second arm makes the bike lean away from the van, obviously I need to practice this

ahh re read your message. I have put one on but not more road bikes. Just one I used the second rack from the back of the van

Cheers, good work there
I’ll post some pics tomorrow evening to ask what I’m doing wrong, that will teach me to use it for the first time, without a practice, in the evening, before a holiday..

I can try. It must be easier to fit four road bikes than four mountain bikes ....

Hmm
Just trying to load our two road bikes onto the rack for the first time, have the V1 rack, I’m finding the first short arm seems too short, when I try to clamp onto bike, the bike leans towards the van so much, the handlebars almost touch onto the roof, the second arm makes the bike lean away from the van, obviously I need to practice this
Is the arm horizontal? If not can you move it sideways until it meets a bar on the bike somewhere where it holds it upright. First time I loaded the bikes I took a fair while faffing with them moving the sideways position of the arms so the bike were equally spaced and handlebars/pedals etc were not in the way. I then took a photo so I would remember how to pack it next time. Ever since they have gone on really quickly. Practice makes perfect (+ a good folding step!)

Back