Bike rack measurements

EAN

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I’m potentially looking at getting a tailgate bike rack; either the VW ver. 1 or the Thule WanderWay 4.
VW ver. 2 might possibly foul the pop top so discounted that one.
Of most interest to me, is how far they protrude from the van when folded up in their stowed position as I have limited space when I reverse into my garage.
I‘ve searched, but haven’t been able to find the measurement of interest.
If you have one of these racks I would appreciate a measurement rearward from the VW badge to the end of a folded up / stowed rack on the van.
Thanks.

Last edited:
I have the VW version with curved tubes. About 175mm from the centre on the VW badge on the tailgate to the furthest projection, which is the vertical arms.

Reactions: EAN
I have the VW version with curved tubes. About 175mm from the centre on the VW badge on the tailgate to the furthest projection, which is the vertical arms.
To add - Version 2 on a T6.1. With the poptop open, the parts where the clamp arms mount does touch my roof when the tailgate is opened, but doesn’t seem to be an issue.

Many thanks, is that this one or the later one that can also be fitted to an electric tailgate?

IMG_0900.jpeg

I have the T5 style VW rack (Version 2) on my campervan that has a SCA roof. The rack does not touch the roof.

View attachment 221337

View attachment 221336
@PASHLEY15 Thanks so much, I was under the impression from other posts that it hit the roof with the tailgate open.
Thats not the case?
If not then between you and @drinfinity looks like I’m buying a V2, although the wheel clamping arrangement looks better on the V1 and WanderWay.
Wonder how far they protrude though????
Thule have just got back to me and stated that they don’t know the measurement for how far the WanderWay protrudes from the van. Would of thought that would of been known, but apparently not.
Anyone kind enough to supply measurements for the V1 and WanderWay?
Indecision time for now!!!

Last edited:
On the wheel clamp arrangement- V2 has straps and buckles. Yes they are slower than the V1 ratchets, but if you have big enduro wheels it’s easy to put long straps on the V2. I think the wheel rails are longer on V2, so more space to stagger the bikes.

On hitting the roof - the back of my roof elevates high, and so is touched by the clamps with boot open. Looks like the SCA roof is a bit lower at the back edge, so the rack misses.

Bit of confusion with bike racks here and not helped by the Vanstylle descriptor the V1 (Kylie) is the version with the straps, thinner frame and not so prominent out the back of the van. The V2 (Quasi) has the ratchets, fat tubes and sticks out further. The V2 definitely does not foul a poptop can’t remember if the V1 does

How far does the Quasi stick out rearwards from the VW badge when folded up?

I have the Wanderway but unfortunately have just taken it off the van for a while. I would estimate that it sticks out about 30cm from the VW badge and a bit less from the bumper. The bottom of the platform sides is the bit that sticks out furthest. The wheel and frame attachments are great and the rack is totally solid in use. The wheel trays can be moved left/right if you want to stagger the bikes. It’s goes nowhere near my roof up or down (Reimo). My only criticisms are you can’t lock the rack to the van (there are ways around that with security bolts) and it increases the height when bikes are on it. Pic attached which might help judge the projection. IMG_5906.jpeg

Unfortunately I’ve taken it off as well, mine is the VW version but I think it’s identical to the WanderWay in all but branding.

The problem with the measurements provided by the sellers is that I’ve no clue where they are taking their measurements from.
There is about 8cm of curvature from the centre tailgate badge to the lower mounting points.
Taking @ginkster approximation of 30cm, that kind of tally’s with @drinfinity 40cm if the measurement is from the lower mounting point. The 47cm @Cnud found probably is the total depth including fixings if laid on a flat surface and measured vertically rather than fitted.
I’ve got a max of 40cm rear of the badge or 30cm rear of the bumper before I hit the back garage wall, so it’s looking incredibly tight for the WanderWay / Quasi rack. @drinfinity measurement of 175mm rearward for the Kylie will give me a bit of a safety margin, so it’s looking like the one to go for in my case.

Kylie/Quasi? Where does that come from?
I have a T5 (I think that’s a Kylie) bike rack. It has webbing straps for the bike and looks nicer. I have an austops roof and the roof can be lifted without fouling the bikes on the rack with the tailgate closed. Only just and may depend on bikes and how they are loaded but definitely no issue with the roof hitting the rack itself with the boot open or closed.

It’s still fitted so if you want another measurement please detail exactly what you need measured and I get it for you

Back