VW bike rack version 1 or 2

Radorik

Hi, sorry if this has been answered, have tried to find out;

When the VW bike rack is folded back without bikes, does it sit at or below the van roof line? Some pictures I've seem looks like it sits proud. I want to leave it on all the time and still use the 2.0m car parks when no bikes are on.

Also what are the benefits between versions 1 and 2?

2 seems to work with electric or non-electric tailgate
2 x looks like it doesn't have the lock proud of the top so would make more clearance when not in use

Bottom mounting points in difference places
Frame of version 2 looks wider but thinner gauge

To me version 2 looks like the one to get, but I see people specifically after version 1 and wondered why.

Thanks.

I’ve found over the decades that engineering changes are usually made with a large emphasis on cost reduction, perhaps why V1 is popular????
Sorry I can’t provide anything specific on the rack types.

120D845F-2684-470C-8ABA-7C61E9CB9C75.jpeg3A977B75-1819-4C45-B35B-1453278C4245.jpeg
Here’s some pics of mine. I went for this model as I wanted to leave it on all the time and I prefer the look when folded

We recommend which ever rack suits the customers van ie with an electric tailgate or not. Obviously of you dont have the electric tailgate you have the choice of both styles.

They are a great rack - Only downsides being the bikes sit higher than the van, and you shouldn’t open the tailgate with bikes on. However the plus are they take 4 bikes with ease, and there is no need for a trailer board or towbar.

The locks on them are really poor - I prefer to use a cable lock which is more of a visual deterrent as well as being more secure.

The black racks are really cool, and are genuine racks that are stripped and poweredcoated, before being reassembled. Speak to Matthew at VW T5 Upgrades - He sells them - thet are on his website.

Same model we have for the same reasons! Who did you get paint it?
The locks on them are really poor - I prefer to use a cable lock which is more of a visual deterrent as well as being more secure.

The black racks are really cool, and are genuine racks that are stripped and poweredcoated, before being reassembled. Speak to Matthew at VW T5 Upgrades - He sells them - thet are on his website.
Agree, I use a cheap combo lock round the bikes but also never leave them long term.

This is the guy that I got mine from. Great job and I love the look. I’ve managed to scrape some paint off on a few spots where the bikes have rubbed but also possible to get a tow bar fitted and a decent 4 bike rack for only a little more and that can slide and tilt to let you open the tailgate but doesn’t look as cool :cool:

Agree, I use a cheap combo lock round the bikes but also never leave them long term.

This is the guy that I got mine from. Great job and I love the look. I’ve managed to scrape some paint off on a few spots where the bikes have rubbed but also possible to get a tow bar fitted and a decent 4 bike rack for only a little more and that can slide and tilt to let you open the tailgate but doesn’t look as cool :cool:
I’m considering painting mine black. I had a tow bar bike rack for 4 bikes before that tilts which I’ll probably sell now. We keep ours on the van too - for the cool factor!

Thanks for the info and pics, like the look of the black racks (my van is indium grey so would suit) but a fair amount more. Good to hear they both still go under the 2.0m. V2 looks like it sits closer when not in use which is a plus.

Just another thought, has anyone gone through a car wash with the bike rack fitted..? Guess the sensors may not pick it up, or the brushes could get caught in the hinges etc. How long does it take to take to fit/remove the rack? Cheers.

FIAMMA do a black rack from the factory which is cheaper than the VW one but a similar style. I’ve got one but I haven’t fitted it yet so no photos.

It’s a lot cheaper if I remember correctly, but does it carry 4 bikes? Also I’m not sure I like the design as much as my version (my opinion only obviously!) and as I leave it on it was worth the eye water cost for that reason, at least that’s what I tell myself!:)

Lovely looking @cgtmiles !! ...Hoping to get mine done too, have contacted Matt at T5 Upgrades, to see if they can paint mine. Mine is a V2 though.
Cheers. I know they supply painted ones but it will be interesting to here if they paint only. I know people have dismantled these and sent to local companies for powdercoating so maybe you can do that if not

It’s a lot cheaper if I remember correctly, but does it carry 4 bikes? Also I’m not sure I like the design as much as my version (my opinion only obviously!) and as I leave it on it was worth the eye water cost for that reason, at least that’s what I tell myself!:)
Mine takes 4 bikes

I've been looking at these racks compared to a towbar install.

Are these tailgate racks lockable to the van? a friend said his wasnt but he's since sold it so it could of been a V1.

What kind of damage have the contact points done to the paint ?

Back