VCDS on a mac

mike2060

Hi all, anyone managed to get VCDS (original or some other loader) successfully working on macOS? If yes, how?

Edit: I modified my search keywords and got few hints on this forum.

My issue is I got M2 chip and this has problems with virtualbox. I tried wine but it seems to be having issues with usb devices anyway. And I dont want to use Parallels because well... the price.

Following with interest.

I'm still running on Intel mac and VCDS + VCP work fine with VMWare Fusion player running Windows. I should soon(ish) upgrade but dread the loss of proper USB support and costly experiments.

I bought one of these refurbished windows laptops from amazon ( amazing value IMO ) to be able to run stuff that is windows exclusive like the software for Di2 gears on bikes and the above. Pain in the ass, but I have never had a good experience with anything that claims to run windows on Mac - especially when it comes to recognising ports etc.

I bought one of these refurbished windows laptops from amazon ( amazing value IMO ) to be able to run stuff that is windows exclusive like the software for Di2 gears on bikes and the above. Pain in the ass, but I have never had a good experience with anything that claims to run windows on Mac - especially when it comes to recognising ports etc.

I used to have a separate laptop just for Windows and I agree that would be the best. But I was so happy couple of years back to get rid of the second one... I carry Mac anyway basically all the time so that means I also can run VCDS exactly when needed most. If I were to go back to separate hardware (and I really don't want to) it would have to be around tablet size.

Im glad I went with AXS then :D app on the phone and you are good to go

If you have a licensed copy of Windows, you can use Apple's Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows on a separate partition of your Mac's hard drive. This allows you to dual-boot between mac OS and Windows, giving you full access to Windows and compatibility with VCDS. You can also try CrossOver it's a commercial product based on Wine that allows you to run Windows applications on mac OS without requiring a Windows license. It may have better compatibility with USB devices compared to Wine. You can try their trial version to see if it works for your needs. Hope that it's still actual, I didn't inform about this for a while.
Thanks, I'am rather looking for a success story. I more less know my options already. Also I have small enough PC that I could take with me to the van. Its just that I will probably never be a proficient VCDS user, nor use it often - this reason disqualifies all payment required options and the most time consuming.

I started with wine - back when I did not even trust my cable and what it reports - so could not say if it worked or not. Since then I tested on win7 and my win10 PC with the same results - now I more less know what to expect, so will retry wine as it seems to be the easiest to install option.

I also installed beta virtualbox for M2 chips and am downloading w10 iso to check what can be done. This would at least be easier to clear out once Im done with VCDS, plus, should be portable. But M2 is a huge unknown here.

Edit:
bootcamp is for intel chips only
vbox (even beta) didn't work - guru mediation fail. Vbox forum confirms - not chance installing w10 with it.
wine installed vcds, can start it but it gets stuck on "Checking device connection"

Last edited:
If I were to go back to separate hardware (and I really don't want to) it would have to be around tablet size.

I succumbed :eek:

I hadn’t used VCDS / Hex-Net for a while and it forced a firmware update upon plugging in. Which failed (VMWare Fusion player / Windows 10 pro on Intel Macbook pro) and ended up with me having a nonfunctional interface. After a longish unsuccessful fight I had to resort on PC to fix the installation and update.

Due to update frustration and unsure future of looming upgrade to M from Intel, I acquired a 8” mini pc. Kind of looks bigger in the photo than it actually is, this thing is very small, yet with reasonable keyboard. Also it has both USB-A and USB-C so VCDS plugs in directly and it can be charged from cig plug.

IMG_4684.jpeg

Last edited:
We have just installed Parallels on our Mac. Not cheap but so far it appears to run everything on the windows side.
Intel or ARM Mac?

Glad to hear it works although subscription based licensing was not for me.

I succumbed :eek:

I hadn’t used VCDS / Hex-Net for a while and it forced a firmware update upon plugging in. Which failed and ended up with me having a nonfunctional interface. After a longish unsuccessful fight I had to resort on PC to fix the installation and update.

Due to update frustration and unsure future of looming upgrade to M from Intel, I acquired a 8” mini pc. Kind of looks bigger in the photo than it actually is, this thing is very small, yet with reasonable keyboard. Also it has both USB-A and USB-C so VCDS plugs in directly and it can be charged from cig plug.

View attachment 236669
As you mention charging I want to make sure everyone is aware you should never charge the laptop from the vehicle with any kind of interface like VCDS connected
Granted if you are usb charging it will likely be ok but you risk destroying the interface if you do !

As you mention charging I want to make sure everyone is aware you should never charge the laptop from the vehicle with any kind of interface like VCDS connected
Granted if you are usb charging it will likely be ok but you risk destroying the interface if you do !

Thanks for the warning, have to admit I hadn’t even thought about that. Here’s what RT says about the subject:

Sounds like you have a lot of experience with your laptop connected to Kentec panel and charger simultaneously ;) :whistle:

So to sum up the best way is either parallels or actual windows on anything cheap. Subscription is out of the picture for occasional usage.

I dug out old modecom compute stick with windows and once I find some time it will use it with some portable screen. Maybe a surface laptop would be more handy.

Back