VB Air Suspension - Let's Discuss...

The dealer can not make it go lower with the parts that in the fitting kit but I have worked out how to make it go lower and set my standard ride height as sport from dealer and my sport mode as close bottom of the dampener for motorways as it is to hard for B-roads

Sounds interesting!!!

Any pictures.. what wheels size are you running?

Reactions: Eli
Apparently the dealer sets the height... Just need a friendly dealer to run lower!
Just spoke to A&E Leisure who fit VB, they said they will not do anything other than what is permitted by VB or they will lose their "dealer " status on VB's list of suppliers

Doesn't any know what the maximum off set / width of wheel can be used with VB

The dealer can not make it go lower with the parts that in the fitting kit but I have worked out how to make it go lower and set my standard ride height as sport from dealer and my sport mode as close bottom of the dampener for motorways as it is to hard for B-roads
Hi Richard, have you had the done to yours ?

I've heard that most of the air systems that go super low don't offer a more comfortable ride.. I'd be happy to hear otherwise.

@Fish you had B14's, how does it compare? Do you run 20"
the lower you go the harder the ride and it simply doesnt matter what the product is . if there is no travel left on the shock you wont get any comfort . Air or spring this is the same for both .
Air system sport mode is what ? more air pressure , if so that means the vehicle is lifted , very low means low pressure in the air spring that will ride terrible as well !
The biggest problem is that most air ride systems dont use quality sport shocks , the focus is only on the up down functionality and the shock is what determines the ride quality NOT the AIR or COIL spring .

We have it, it’s excellent for a camper, especially the auto-level feature.

I wouldn’t say it’s very suitable for those who want their van running very low for aesthetic reasons. The sport mode isn’t all that low and official installers won’t configure it lower than VB specifies.
The sport mode on most modern suspension systems changes the DAMPING forces on the shock . because the kit example above doesnt have electronic adjustable shocks the only way to get a better sport feel pressure needs to be high in the bags , the result then is a close to normal ride height because the SPORT feel is cominmg from the Air bag not the shock . This isnt how suspension works sadly

The sport mode on most modern suspension systems changes the DAMPING forces on the shock . because the kit example above doesnt have electronic adjustable shocks the only way to get a better sport feel pressure needs to be high in the bags , the result then is a close to normal ride height because the SPORT feel is cominmg from the Air bag not the shock . This isnt how suspension works sadly

I think ‘sport’ is just VBs name for the lowest driving height setting. Not that it affects me anyway, I’m quite happy with the standard height. If I wanted a sports car, I’d buy a sports car...

No according to the legend showing the ride heights in various situations the sport mode is only slightly lower , to get a sport feel from an air spring it has to have more pressure , but this will lift the vehicle . The ride quality comes from the shock not the spring so the term Sport mode is actually futile because the only way to get a sport mode is to change the shock forces NOT pump up the air spring . Sport mode as used was their terminology not mine these are in reality leisure vehicles and all we really need is a better handling and comfort .

Hi had mine done 16 months ago
I am having mine fitted 2nd week November but the fitters are saying they can’t set the sport height as the standard height so you can lower the extra 20mm when selecting sport. Who reprogrammed you’d ?

Hi Eli it has nothing to do with the program when you get it back I will tell you how to make it ride lower
I would be interested to know how to do this. I've always been dissappointed that the VB Sport mode is only 2cm lower than standard, when VW offer a 3cm lower suspension as an option.

As an aside, I never expected the Sport mode to provide stiffer, sportier handling. However, by dint of the fact that it is lower, my van does handle a bit better in corners. Ride comfort is indistiguishable between sport and standard though.

Reactions: Eli
Hi on each swinging arm is a height sensor which has a 6mm threaded bar that is a set length they are different front and back. I went to a diy store and purchased some threaded bar and nuts .I measured the length between the lock nuts so I could put them back to vb settings I then made some new ones making them 10mm sorter than the stock bars fit new nuts and install making sure you get adjust the bars to the same length front left and right and the back left and right

3 years ago VB launched DynActive for larger motorhomes, its an active shock absorber like the DCC-Dynamic Chassis Control option on Vel Execs, and lots of higher end cars/suv's.
VB DynActive can be combined/integrated with VB Full Air-4c to give VB ActiveAir.

VB said it would be rolled out within a year or so (Back in 2016) for other similar smaller vehicles.
I've got DCC, which is not compatible with VB Full 4C;
I don't want to ditch DCC, its brilliant at controlling the T6, but I would love 4c full air.

Anybody heard of the VB ActiveAir being available on a T6 anytime soon?

https://www.vbairsuspension.co.uk/upload/File/Productbladen/Engels/Bedieningshandleiding/733105000064EN- User manual VB-ActiveAir V02.pdf

https://turriffcaravans.co.uk/files/4115/4989/8549/VB_Active_Air.pdf

Last edited:
I understand the desire of Air to level or adapt stance to suit the vehicle uses . The problem I have with most Air ride suspension suppliers is the fact that they place too much importance on the Air side of things . My point is that they often base the kits on standard OEM shocks and most of the work we suspension suppliers do is trash the standard shocks because they aren't very good . So we know as a fact that ride quality and handling comes from the SHOCK not a spring or air ride kit
Why would we spend 4 to 5 k pounds to have standard shocks back in the Van again. There are a few manufacturers that do base their kits on performance shocks but they are incredibly expensive . CRS are trying to develop an Air ride kit based on proper sport shocks but this wont be ready this year . Watch this space as they say.

I understand the desire of Air to level or adapt stance to suit the vehicle uses . The problem I have with most Air ride suspension suppliers is the fact that they place too much importance on the Air side of things . My point is that they often base the kits on standard OEM shocks and most of the work we suspension suppliers do is trash the standard shocks because they aren't very good . So we know as a fact that ride quality and handling comes from the SHOCK not a spring or air ride kit
Why would we spend 4 to 5 k pounds to have standard shocks back in the Van again. There are a few manufacturers that do base their kits on performance shocks but they are incredibly expensive . CRS are trying to develop an Air ride kit based on proper sport shocks but this wont be ready this year . Watch this space as they say.

To be clear, the VB air suspension system does include new shocks.

tOmbO I wouldn't doubt that for a minute although there are some suppliers ARNOTT being one, that refurb old shocks and supply in their kits
The comment was meant to indicate the quality and performance aspect of the shock used . If they are basing the kit on genuine VW shocks then there is a problem immediately as they aren't good performers .

Back