Vanstyle Sidebars Fitting Question

Big thumbs up for VanStyle I called them on Monday morning and a replacement bolt arrived in the post this morning. Now that’s good customer service

Just fitted my side bars from Vanstyle ... I read this post and thought that’ll never happen to me ,famous last words .
Yes I lost one of those bolt fixings ...after about 30 mins I was able to fish it back through the hole
Really happy with how they look :thumbsup:

I've just removed some sidebars. On 3 of the mountings I thought the bolts were captive. On the other I realise they are not as the bolt started spinning as I was removing the nut. Managed to get them off but the T bolts came out.

2 questions, if I put the bars back on, how/what stops the bolts spinning as you try to put the nut on and were there any grommets in the holes before you fitted the bars.

They come with some plastic clips that you can slide round the bolt that holds it in place, however I found they weren’t that great and just holding the bolt with a pair of pliers as you get the nut on and done up is best, that way it doesn’t disappear into the chassis when the bolt slips out of the plastic clip

Appreciate this thread just lost the same bolt in the same way. The front mounting seem to be more captive than the rear. Phoned van style and they sent me a replacement the following day for free. Great customer service.

Yes or put better retaining clips, rather than the POS flimsy plastic that they come with.

Ok chap's if you tie a piece of cotton thread around the bolt ,half way down if you loose it you can retrieve ! once you've secured with clip provided you can then remove the cotton thread and bolt up .
Hope this helps .;)

Fitted my sidebars, very happy with them. Thanks for tips elsewhere in this thread.

I found the supplied nuts to be crap quality. M8 but 14mm rather than 13mm across flats, managed to strip two of the nuts during installation (and no, I wasn't overtightening). I've put some stainless nyloc M8 nuts on there instead.

Folks, anyone fitted trapezoidal bars recently from vanstyle?

Everything was fine but the from c- bolt that holds the front brackets in don't fit into the holes in the van. The chassis clearance is not enough to get them in. Rears are fine.

Anyone had this issue? Bit annoying.

IMG_20200308_153921.jpg

IMG_20200308_153901.jpg

I have a set of these on my van. I found the rears fitted just fine, the fronts needed a good bit of persuasion but they did go. Once i had them in i was also able to get them out. On one side I needed to give it a gentle tap with a mallet, the other wasn’t as tight and a good wrenching by hand got it in.

Mine are very tight, I dare say a bit of damage would be done trying to force them in.
You could try and shorten the bit that goes into the hole or file a chamfer onto the leading edge so it slots in a little more easily?

I had a bit of an issue with some of the bolts and had to force it through at a certain angle. I also found that the clips that hold them in place can angle the bar and so make it sit differently. Make sure th as t this is the same on both sides or it will be wonky

You could try and shorten the bit that goes into the hole or file a chamfer onto the leading edge so it slots in a little more easily?
I will probably have to do this, bit shit having to do this though on a kit sold to fit.

I also found the instructions for cutting the under trays was completely wrong. Make sure you check the actual fitment before cutting. I had round vanstyle ones though but I guess the brackets are probably pretty similar

Yeah I'll trial fit then mark up the undertray.
I've emailed them to see what they say but it sounds like it's not abnormal. It shouldn't be like that IMO.

No it shouldn’t. I was a bit pissed that they were so bad but actually you hardly need to cut anything out I think I cut holes instead of the slots they advise

Back