Vanstyle Sidebars Fitting Question

Eddie T6

VIP Member
I've bought some vanstyle side bars and I’m trying to fit them but I’m having issues putting the lock on the thread plates to hold them in place in the holes in the chassis.

Has anyone got any tips on how to get them on?

A700760F-C4CD-474E-8C9E-DD6C0DE998AD.jpeg

I just pulled down on the installed bolt and pushed the clippy thing over the thread flush with the underside of the sill.

If doing this you just have to make the clip ends dont go up into the hole.

I just pulled down on the installed bolt and pushed the clippy thing over the thread flush with the underside of the sill.

If doing this you just have to make the clip ends dont go up into the hole.

Just tried that and I don’t see how you managed to do it, as it’s like the hole isn’t big enough to pull it through.

Do you need the clip things?

You don’t need the clips they are just there to help stop the brackets from falling inside

i got all excited that my Vanstyle lwb Black trapezoidal bars arrived yesterday, so I had a quick read of the instructions and set about fitting them.

40 min job apparently so nice and easy

Well up until the point I have managed to lose one of the t-bolts into the chassis box of the van

So what are my options

1. Buy a snake cam and a magnet and try to fish it out?

2. Leave it in there and see if Vanstyle will send me a replacement, will it rattle?

3. Is there any way into that section of the chassis through a bigger hole?

Help please I’m a bit miffed about this !!!!!!

Just check one of the other bolts with a magnet, afaik they are stainless & non magnetic, the VW ones are.

These seem to be magnetic to a degree might just be the bar bit but the access hole is tiny so it’s going to be a right pain. Have to buy some magnets too as I don’t have anything here

Any tips on what to do when the brackets fall inside ? I need to find and get one back
Maybe worth trying a magnet, get these tools with a magnet on the end that are basically like a car ariel so you can extend them, saved my bacon a few times when I have dropped something and cant get to it. I'm guessing it cant be too far from the hole, might be an idea not to use the van till you get it back as vehicle motion might well move it further away. I remember when I fitted these it was a b*gger of a job trying to get the locking clips on, gave up in the end and didn't use them.

Yeah I’ll try to get a tool tomorrow fingers crossed, if not I hope Vanstyle take pity on me and send me a replacement

I doubt very much if they are magnetic.I have just tried VW ones and they are definately not.

I’ve managed to stick one to the back of a speaker magnet so might have a chance, I don’t have a magnetic pickup tool small enough and flexible enough though.

Do we thing it’s going to rattle about if I just leave it there and get a replacement?

Yeah I’ll try to get a tool tomorrow fingers crossed, if not I hope Vanstyle take pity on me and send me a replacement
Hopefully you can get at it, a piece of thin wire, just make some kind of hook on the end, has also assisted me greatly on a numerous occasions when I've got it wrong or long nose pliers. Good luck.

The zip tie should bend within the section, just add some sticky to the end..
Old skool fly paper.
Hot glue(if your quick).
Tacky expanding foam.

Back