Van Sickness

glasgow4m

Hello all!

After months (possibly years) of debating, I finally took the plunge and am now the proud renter of a short wheelbase T6 4m 150PS combi. It hasn't disappointed in the week I've had it, and I'm well and truly smitten. Particularly because of the double driver's arm-rests!

There is one problem though.. my 5 year old daughter gets very, very car sick in it. To her great credit, she's good at holding it in, so on her first voyage we managed to pull over each of the 3 times (3 hour journey), but on the way back we were on a motorway when she needed to go, and with no exits the new car smell is now.. vomit. Previously we had an old Subaru Forester and a 911, and she did experience car sickness in both but if she sat in the front she'd be fine. No such luck with the T6. It is more 'wallowy' than a car, and I think this constant movement is what's getting to her.

Does anyone have any tips on what to do? It's really spoilt the purpose of getting the van (camping trips to Europe with enough room for 3 child seats), and I'm tied into a 3 year contract hire on the vehicle.

Hello all!

After months (possibly years) of debating, I finally took the plunge and am now the proud renter of a short wheelbase T6 4m 150PS combi. It hasn't disappointed in the week I've had it, and I'm well and truly smitten. Particularly because of the double driver's arm-rests!

There is one problem though.. my 5 year old daughter gets very, very car sick in it. To her great credit, she's good at holding it in, so on her first voyage we managed to pull over each of the 3 times (3 hour journey), but on the way back we were on a motorway when she needed to go, and with no exits the new car smell is now.. vomit. Previously we had an old Subaru Forester and a 911, and she did experience car sickness in both but if she sat in the front she'd be fine. No such luck with the T6. It is more 'wallowy' than a car, and I think this constant movement is what's getting to her.

Does anyone have any tips on what to do? It's really spoilt the purpose of getting the van (camping trips to Europe with enough room for 3 child seats), and I'm tied into a 3 year contract hire on the vehicle.
There are a few anti sickness tablets out there ( stugeron and bucastem), my 5 year old is the same.

Have you tried the second row middle seat as the front seats are nearly over the wheels. Lower the seat the better but at only five probably needs a car seat so makes it even higher. I use my kombi for work so has a lot of weight in it but when empty it does rock and roll .

How does she pass the time in the van. She isn’t reading or on a phone/tablet is she ?

Pete

Sitting over the axles exacerbates the motion, so middle row is better. No staring, reading or looking at small things on laps, but encourage her to focus on the distance. Maybe car bingo, or spotting would be a distraction..? Sick bags in case, are useful, but this sets up the thought that she WILL be sick, so play them down at all costs..!

Small trips first, plenty of distractions and become a smooth chauffeur when you drive.

It's awful when it strikes, isn't it..?

Hello all!

H&R anti roll bars will cure the wollow ride as it reduces body role considerably. They cost roughly £400-450 fitted.

The poor ride wont be fixed with anti roll bars sorry to say , complete waste of time as a first thing to do in my honest opinion

Get the shocks sorted then decide if you want track day performance after that

Sorry to hear about your problem...but food stuffs can help Ginger and other remedies do work ...check inter web
Same reason your given mints on planes prior to takeoff .........and a good suspension setup...:eek::eek:

Sorry to hear about your problem...but food stuffs can help Ginger and other remedies do work ...check inter web
Same reason your given mints on planes prior to takeoff .........and a good suspension setup...:eek::eek:
I’ve never suffered travel sickness fortunately so no idea about that but The mints on planes is to prevent ear pain due to changing pressure.

“Ginger biscuits and peppermint sweets The root is known to help digestion and have anti-sickness qualities. If your child is already feeling queasy give them a peppermintcandy to suck on. Peppermint can ease sickness while sucking on the sweet helps keep your stomach calm.”

The mints worked better on me tum .......air pressure I’ll take that :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The poor ride wont be fixed with anti roll bars sorry to say , complete waste of time as a first thing to do in my honest opinion

Get the shocks sorted then decide if you want track day performance after that

Although I respect someones opinion if this is what someone does for a living, I don't agree that the uprated anti-roll bars are a waste of time.
They transformed the ride of my T6 and made it feel far tighter. These mods have been done to countless members Transporters and not once have I read anything negative about them.
Please understand that there are other respected Trade members that fit these exact modifications, and Bilstein shocks that many of us love. and although many of us enjoy the input that Trade and many of the talented professionals bring to the forum, I don't feel it's fair to disregard a product totally.
Most of what's put on here is extremely subjective anyway.

Yes, I appreciate and understand the context of your reply, but others scanning through replies might not.

Clearly the comment "a waste of time" offends owners who have shelled out 450 Quid for Anti roll bars , but it isn't actually what I said . the comment was related to this particular thread and it said !
" The poor ride wont be fixed with anti roll bars sorry to say , complete waste of time as a first thing to do "
What i wanted to avoid was someone spending 450.00 quid unnecessarily because of a comment on here.
ARB has no affect in a straight line , only in cornering and the comment about your van feeling tighter probably needs a little more explanation . ( tourershine)
In reality a Mono tube shock wont help the problem either so Bilstein ( you mentioned ) simply wouldn't be a sensible option for this issue at all .
As the clients who have entrusted their pride and joy to me know, my priority is always to make the vehicles as comfortable as possible what ever height they desire .
Out of the 70 or so vans i have done in the last few months I fitted One with A R B s and one already had H&R ARB with B 14 ( terrible ride actually ! ) . We have had 2 of those clients who decided that Low wasn't for them so we picked them up a little , but the results were overwhelming good in the comfort department .
Anyway hope that clarifies my comments
On a lighter note as the Importer of H&R products into Southern Africa there isn't a bigger fan of the product, we supply and fit thousands of kits for them and I can probably offer better pricing on H&R ARB than most .

Hello all!

I am not a gambling man. BUT, I would supply "glasgow4m" a set of Special active dampers for his van and if it doesn't help the problem they can be returned for a full refund . Understand that the fitting would cost money but if the problem is as serious as it sounds its worth a try , because there isn't anything else on the market that can do what these dampers do .

The original poster, Glascow 4M, says he has the vehicle on a 3 year contract hire. He may be restricted in terms of what modifications he is allowed to make to it, and any money spent will be lost when the vehicle goes back.

Clearly the comment "a waste of time" offends owners who have shelled out 450 Quid for Anti roll bars , but it isn't actually what I said . the comment was related to this particular thread and it said !
" The poor ride wont be fixed with anti roll bars sorry to say , complete waste of time as a first thing to do "
What i wanted to avoid was someone spending 450.00 quid unnecessarily because of a comment on here.
ARB has no affect in a straight line , only in cornering and the comment about your van feeling tighter probably needs a little more explanation . ( tourershine)
In reality a Mono tube shock wont help the problem either so Bilstein ( you mentioned ) simply wouldn't be a sensible option for this issue at all .
As the clients who have entrusted their pride and joy to me know, my priority is always to make the vehicles as comfortable as possible what ever height they desire .
Out of the 70 or so vans i have done in the last few months I fitted One with A R B s and one already had H&R ARB with B 14 ( terrible ride actually ! ) . We have had 2 of those clients who decided that Low wasn't for them so we picked them up a little , but the results were overwhelming good in the comfort department .
Anyway hope that clarifies my comments
On a lighter note as the Importer of H&R products into Southern Africa there isn't a bigger fan of the product, we supply and fit thousands of kits for them and I can probably offer better pricing on H&R ARB than most .

I'd just like to add, my comment suggesting anti rolls bars is relating to glasgow4m's comment about a 'wallowey' ride isnt that the purpose of anti roll bars and £450 would be a cheaper option than buying a set of coilovers

I'd just like to add, my comment suggesting anti rolls bars is relating to glasgow4m's comment about a 'wallowey' ride isnt that the purpose of anti roll bars and £450 would be a cheaper option than buying a set of coilovers
Coil Overs ?? who mentioned C/O . Wallowey ride is caused by the low forces generated in a standard shock when the shaft speed is low ,
Shock problem only a good shock will sort it !! . ARB increases spring rate but only in corner . If anything using standard shocks and uprated roll bars it might be worse .

Coil Overs ?? who mentioned C/O . Wallowey ride is caused by the low forces generated in a standard shock when the shaft speed is low ,
Shock problem only a good shock will sort it !! . ARB increases spring rate but only in corner . If anything using standard shocks and uprated roll bars it might be worse .

coilovers/suspension kits = same thing, costly

I'm sure theres plenty of people on here who have bought anti roll bars and running std shocks who may disagree with you

I'm also aware of owners buying suspension kits without upgrading the anti roll bars and still not being happy with the wallowey ride

My suggestion is for @glasgow4m to read the various suspension threads and the thread on ARBs to make their own mind up whether this upgrade would help them

H&R Anti Holl Bars (ARB) Front + Rear

coilovers/suspension kits = same thing, costly

I'm sure theres plenty of people on here who have bought anti roll bars and running std shocks who may disagree with you

I'm also aware of owners buying suspension kits without upgrading the anti roll bars and still not being happy with the wallowey ride

My suggestion is for @glasgow4m to read the various suspension threads and the thread on ARBs to make their own mind up whether this upgrade would help them

H&R Anti Holl Bars (ARB) Front + Rear

I'd contact the contract hire company before doing too much research, if they say no suspension modifications then there's no point considering them.

Back