Van Sickness

@CRS Performance without getting into an argument on a public forum, I think the main issue is you've come on a Transporter forum where the single most popular modification is still the Bilstein B14 and H&R arbs. Your input is a valid and often interesting one but you seem to often be against Bilstein almost indirectly quoting that they are the incorrect choice for 100s of us that have gone down this route. There will always be those that want the comfort of low and that's where a different approach to suspension is necessary, outside the Bilstein box, but for most of us, including myself, this route has achieved exactly what we wanted.

There are several other businesses on here that make a good living fitting these components that most of us are happy with and my point was to just simply bare this in mind out of general Trade to Trade respect, that's all.

Our kids used to suffer occasional instances of sickness in the car when they were younger. As we’re in the midlands and we all like our seaside holidays its something we’ve had to work around. Now 12 & 14 the kids seem to have grown out of it, though I occasionally get asked to ‘stop hacking’ it :eek:

Some basic tips we follow:-

- No milky breakfasts.
- Use medication for journeys 2 hours plus (Not needed anymore)
- Limit screen time.
- Mum on sweet rationing!
- ‘Borrow’ sick bags when we go anywhere on a ferry. There are many points scattered across the vessel so just grab a couple from each :whistle:. Keep them in the glove box.

I would be thinking about all factors as well as firmness of ride. Our T6 for example has got rubber mats in the front and they stink! It’s a subtlish smell at first but doesn’t go away so we are going to swap the mats. It’s the sort of thing that on a long drive I could imagine might make someone feel ill.

I would also consider how much noise there is in the van, they are louder than a car. Would it be an idea to put a bulkhead behind the rear seats to make it quieter and reduce the size of the echo chamber? Or carpet the sides in the back?

My kids don’t often get car sick but using an iPad or reading a book definitely brings it on, if they are prone to sickness I wouldn’t limit screen time I would totally ban it. This will force them to look out the windows which greatly reduces the effect of motion sickness.

Is there enough ventilation to the rear seats, something simple like reducing the temperature a bit and leaving the fan on a higher blower speed might help. When feeling sick some people need to open the window to feel a breeze on their face to cool them down a bit.

@CRS Performance without getting into an argument on a public forum, I think the main issue is you've come on a Transporter forum where the single most popular modification is still the Bilstein B14 and H&R arbs. Your input is a valid and often interesting one but you seem to often be against Bilstein almost indirectly quoting that they are the incorrect choice for 100s of us that have gone down this route. There will always be those that want the comfort of low and that's where a different approach to suspension is necessary, outside the Bilstein box, but for most of us, including myself, this route has achieved exactly what we wanted.

There are several other businesses on here that make a good living fitting these components that most of us are happy with and my point was to just simply bare this in mind out of general Trade to Trade respect, that's all.

No arguing, simple technical debate , It never hurt anyone . You have maybe missed the thread where I said that our Track day car Audi S3 which was featured in "Performance Audi" in Feb runs proper Bilstein B 16 's . they are brilliant in that scenario. I drove the car to Spa Via Hull / Zeebrugge for 2 days of absolute bliss on track. ( and back again ) acceptable ride on the road considering the purpose of the car is track only use , but exceptional on track .
My concern is that the out and out performance owners such as your self can accept what the kit does in the quest for performance .
Sadly the bulk of clients I help simply don't like it and this is the problem. The sellers of the product have been on the search for more comfortable solutions since I came along beating the Comfort drum . Ultimately the company that makes the B14 in Germany ( Not Bilstein ) are even producing the kit with KONI dampers in Now , WHY would they feel this necessary ??

There will always be a market for all the solutions we offer . Our job is to educate the customers to Make the correct decisions and buy product that gives them pleasure /
This thread has been hijacked from a simple Travel sickness problem to which I offered a sensible solution to a battle about B 14s again ?? why are the B 14 buyers so sensitive because a B 14 certainly wouldn't help this problem and as I said the A R B wont either .
Moving along . have a lovely day all .

Roof flip down or Headrest mounted dvd player and wireless headphones , worked for mine never heard a peep.

No arguing, simple technical debate , It never hurt anyone . You have maybe missed the thread where I said that our Track day car Audi S3 which was featured in "Performance Audi" in Feb runs proper Bilstein B 16 's . they are brilliant in that scenario. I drove the car to Spa Via Hull / Zeebrugge for 2 days of absolute bliss on track. ( and back again ) acceptable ride on the road considering the purpose of the car is track only use , but exceptional on track .
My concern is that the out and out performance owners such as your self can accept what the kit does in the quest for performance .
Sadly the bulk of clients I help simply don't like it and this is the problem. The sellers of the product have been on the search for more comfortable solutions since I came along beating the Comfort drum . Ultimately the company that makes the B14 in Germany ( Not Bilstein ) are even producing the kit with KONI dampers in Now , WHY would they feel this necessary ??

There will always be a market for all the solutions we offer . Our job is to educate the customers to Make the correct decisions and buy product that gives them pleasure /
This thread has been hijacked from a simple Travel sickness problem to which I offered a sensible solution to a battle about B 14s again ?? why are the B 14 buyers so sensitive because a B 14 certainly wouldn't help this problem and as I said the A R B wont either .
Moving along . have a lovely day all .

Just to be clear, you hijacked the thread by jumping on your soapbox and giving your 'technical debate'

For once your right, this thread is about a medical issue and most of the posts are from members who are offering an opinion on their suspension experience as I'm sure neither they or you are medically trained to offer any other solution

I get it you have a product you love buy no need to act all high and mighty over other members comments/opinions

Just to add my tuppence worth for the Op, my latest van came with Continental tyres fitted as new, I really didn't like them they gave quite a wallowing ride, I ditched them pretty swiftly for a tyre with a stiffer side wall and bingo, much nicer ride. This is a fully laden working kombi but I imagine the principal is the same. Could be worth a try?

Hello all!

After months (possibly years) of debating, I finally took the plunge and am now the proud renter of a short wheelbase T6 4m 150PS combi. It hasn't disappointed in the week I've had it, and I'm well and truly smitten. Particularly because of the double driver's arm-rests!

There is one problem though.. my 5 year old daughter gets very, very car sick in it. To her great credit, she's good at holding it in, so on her first voyage we managed to pull over each of the 3 times (3 hour journey), but on the way back we were on a motorway when she needed to go, and with no exits the new car smell is now.. vomit. Previously we had an old Subaru Forester and a 911, and she did experience car sickness in both but if she sat in the front she'd be fine. No such luck with the T6. It is more 'wallowy' than a car, and I think this constant movement is what's getting to her.

Does anyone have any tips on what to do? It's really spoilt the purpose of getting the van (camping trips to Europe with enough room for 3 child seats), and I'm tied into a 3 year contract hire on the vehicle.

I would suggest trying these. If they work, your problem is solved. I know that adult travel sickness pills work extremely well. These are obviously for kids, so you’d have to try them and see. No suspension change is going to solve the problem IMHO. Preventing and Curing Children's Travel Sickness | Tots To Travel

Back