New Member, New Van – The Journey So Far…

Pezz

VIP Member
So, let’s start with the van! A brand-new Indium Grey T32 204 ps TSI highline panel van options tailgate with heated screen wash wipe, dual captain seats heated with swivel bases, power latching side door, mudflaps, carpeted cab, folding mirrors, towbar prep

It was delivered a couple of weeks ago to Uberbus who are doing the conversion for me.

On to me – live in Liverpool, work in the music industry and have done for the past 27 years, ran a record shop till it closed when vinyl almost died, alongside that ran a record label that still flourishes. Was a DJ in the late 80s and 90s retired so to speak in the noughties when kids came along. Love footy ,F1, motorbikes, scooters and now vans!

The journey…

All started for me about 10 years ago when we had a family holiday to Cornwall where we hired a 1958 splitty from O’Connors Campers [quite simply the madest vehicle I’ve ever driven] – we nearly didn’t make it through the first night. The rain was torrential, the noise during the night was insane, my daughter fell out of the cab hammock 5 times. I was ready to throw the towel in. We set off day 2 – I was ready to go back and get my car but 3 miles into the journey where we hit a crossroads left to go back right to carry on. The clouds parted the sun blasted through and we went right. Off on what became the best holiday ever…

When I got home the search started trying to find a van. Initially it was an old classic we wanted – the initial cost and on-going maintenance costs at the time didn’t fit with where we were at and after a few years a wishful thinking the dream faded away. [I got into motorbikes around this time but that’s another story but also one that will need telling]

Last year I was back in Stafford where I originated from visiting a bunch of my old mates I hadn’t seen for a long time. It was at an afternoon garden party hosted by one of my best mates - Dean. Loads of DJ’s live acts, food, beer - bit like a mini fezzy. One of these old mates I hadn’t seen for what seemed like forever was Clough the main man at Uberbus. Clough Dean and me were mad scooterists back in the early 90’s – yearly trips to the Isle of White – scooters in the back of a van blah blah blah. We got talking everything vans – what’s you can do, what you can’t, costs… It properly got my juices flowing. One of the main things we discussed was what I would want from a van. It would need to replace my car something a classic wouldn’t really be able to do – currently I drive an X5. It would need to be a full-blown camper – the wife thinks they don’t look right without a fitted kitchen. For me, it needs a sliding seat system – seats up front with the kids for day to day. Slid back for camper times with table up but also where the seats come out – so the motorbike can go in. This was initially a stumbling block as Clough has his awesome Rib Flux that slides but doesn’t come out. This, however, as with all conversions, was simply a problem yet to be solved. This meeting was the beginning though of committing fully to van life.

Van was ordered end October 3 days before VW removed the TSI – conversion plans began to be hatched.

Here are a few pictures of her on delivery day [everyone loves a van piccy] - I’ll keep updating the thread as the conversion proceeds

2019-01-28 13.59.50.jpg

2019-01-28 14.00.01.jpg

Welcome to the forum @Pezz.
The last of the TSI's, maybe they will be a future classic. A monstrously fast commercial van with just a couple of engine mods. There are a few TSI owners in here, and they love them.

Don't forget to join the forum monster that is Team Grey :thumbsup:

Hi Tourershine - thanks - it's funny you should mention the Future Classic as that's the name of the Uberbus conversion that's the basis for mine. I got to drive her yesterday from Poole to Hythe in Kent to get the first part of the conversion fitted - Reimo Variotech 3000 seat on bonded rails at Concept Multi-Car. It's bloody rapid without any mods - so can't wait to get some added and see how she flies then. It was a no brainer for me going petrol - I've had tonnes of issues on my last 2 diesel X5's with DPF faults - mainly because my commute is so short and doesn't often get to clean itself.

so today I picked the van up again with its new seats fitted and drove it back to Poole before jumping in the other motor and driving back to Liverpool

2019-02-13 10.10.50.jpg

Back