New member, not actually bought one yet.. Couple of questions!

miket99

Like I said, am still planning the spendy part but have done the family negotiations so it should be happening soon! Probably a 2017 or 18, 150PS.

I'm currently driving a forester, which has been brilliant. Nothing has gone wrong in 8 years, it gets 40mpg and is easy to do long trips in. She has a company XC90, which is fantastic, but with 3 kids and 2 dogs that need crates on long journeys, doesn't leave any space for our crap on regular cornwall and Lake District trips. I'm thinking we swap the forester for a VW, then when her XC90 is up in 12 months we get something small and probably electric.

Couple of questions.. we used to have a VW Tourag, brilliant to drive but incredibly unreliable and expensive to fix. Assuming I don't buy a lemon, what are the standard things I should watch out for on the T6?

Also, is the Caravelle built with better soundproofing for quieter motorway trips? If it is, how easy is it to add the same to a transporter? I don't need the 3rd row of seats, but the extra daylight and more 'car like' feel would be popular with the kids. Is there anything else I'm missing out on by buying a transporter over a caravelle?

ta..

Hello, In my opinion :) Having just upgraded my self converted panel van T5.1 (2014) to a T6 California (based on a caravelle) - sound proofing is quite something on the California - I'd also gone to a fair few steps to sound insulate the panel van but its a massive difference getting the factory build van with sound insulation - again in my opinion etc.
If you want a project then get a transporter and make it how you want, but if you want a decent vehicle that you can enjoy right off the bat and fulfil your family needs then I think I'd be going down the caravelle route... either way you wont be disappointed Transporters are amazing to drive, I just wish I bought for one earlier than I did!

Regarding fixes - there is some superb diagnosis software out there for VW's now and lots of tech forums to help you along the way to a fix. of course a modern vehicle can have expensive problems but going for a model that is 3-4years old unless you get a proper Friday afternoon job, or one that's been hammered, its a fair chance you'll be fine. Once you settle on a vehicle, I'd take a good evening to google the pants out the van spec to make sure you wont get any nasty known surprises (e.g the 2ltr 180 - Bi turbo on the T5/T5.1's had a well documented engine oil consumption issue.).

Happy hunting.

Not ever so helpful, but with 3 kids and two dogs I think a Transporter / Caravelle would be perfect for you.
But with you having had a Subaru Forester for 8 years of trouble free motoring, doing 40MPG and it being easy to drive long journeys in, well, that's a very tough act to follow!

Reactions: JOG
My 2015 Touareg was the most reliable car I’ve ever owned, my 2018 T6 is almost as reliable except for the egr flexipipe.

Modern, but older VW’s are expensive to run and maintain which is down to the complexities of modern engineering such as turbo’s, injectors, high pressure fuel pumps, egr’s etc etc.

My new Impreza STi was the most unreliable bag of shit I’ve ever owned, not to mention it depreciating like a rock.

You get good and bad in all brands, except Land Rover, they are only ever bad :laugh:

But with you having had a Subaru Forester for 8 years of trouble free motoring, doing 40MPG and it being easy to drive long journeys in, well, that's a very tough act to follow!
Yeah - but what about the waving...:waving:, and the spending...:cool:, and the seeing what someone else has done to theirs and realising your 'project' will never really be finished..., and the smuggling things in past the missus or getting them delivered to your place of work....:fast rofl: You wouldn't get that with your Forester!!

Yeah - but what about the waving...:waving:, and the spending...:cool:, and the seeing what someone else has done to theirs and realising your 'project' will never really be finished..., and the smuggling things in past the missus or getting them delivered to your place of work....:fast rofl: You wouldn't get that with your Forester!!
Ah, I don't do any secret spending, I'd get found out immediately (What use is cash nowadays?) and I know my wife would be much better at spending big than I am so I don't want to give her the excuse!!! :laugh:

My 2015 Touareg was the most reliable car I’ve ever owned, my 2018 T6 is almost as reliable except for the egr flexipipe.

Modern, but older VW’s are expensive to run and maintain which is down to the complexities of modern engineering such as turbo’s, injectors, high pressure fuel pumps, egr’s etc etc.

My new Impreza STi was the most unreliable bag of shit I’ve ever owned, not to mention it depreciating like a rock.

You get good and bad in all brands, except Land Rover, they are only ever bad :laugh:
Agree with you about good and bad with every make. But don’t completely agree with you on LR.

About to sell my Evoque which I've had for 8 years from new and I’ll be sad to part with it. Great car to drive, smooth, plenty of power, grips the road like you wouldn’t believe and has never given me any trouble at all. 75,000 trouble free miles and very well built (but I do accept that you can’t can’t say that for every LR!!!) So keeping my fingers crossed that the new 6.1 will make me just as happy when it lands.

And on your question @miket99 , I’d say the 150 is a good choice of engine. Enough power for what you need, and should be ideal for longer motorway runs.

On insulation in conversions, it’s like most things in life I guess - you can do a job cheaply, or invest a bit more and achieve a better standard. I’ve opted for upgraded full acoustic insulation on mine, which has only cost me an extra £150. Seemed daft not to given how much I’m spending. Not sure how that will compare with a factory fit caravelle/California, but there’s a lot of knowledge on here from people who have done it themselves, and I’m sure there will be some very well informed people who can give a very good steer. I’d be surprised if you couldn’t achieve a comporable standard to factory fit.

Keep the Forrester as the runabout when the Ovlov (the mark left on a biker/cyclist after connecting with a Volvo!) goes back. You know what you have there! Like others have said, my biggest regret is not getting my van sooner, eg when sprogs arrived on the scene.

Have you considered a Shuttle? Very car like and quiet to drive, and may work out more cost effective for your needs. Just get rid of the rear seats.

Reactions: JOG
Like I said, am still planning the spendy part but have done the family negotiations so it should be happening soon! Probably a 2017 or 18, 150PS.

I'm currently driving a forester, which has been brilliant. Nothing has gone wrong in 8 years, it gets 40mpg and is easy to do long trips in. She has a company XC90, which is fantastic, but with 3 kids and 2 dogs that need crates on long journeys, doesn't leave any space for our crap on regular cornwall and Lake District trips. I'm thinking we swap the forester for a VW, then when her XC90 is up in 12 months we get something small and probably electric.

Couple of questions.. we used to have a VW Tourag, brilliant to drive but incredibly unreliable and expensive to fix. Assuming I don't buy a lemon, what are the standard things I should watch out for on the T6?

Also, is the Caravelle built with better soundproofing for quieter motorway trips? If it is, how easy is it to add the same to a transporter? I don't need the 3rd row of seats, but the extra daylight and more 'car like' feel would be popular with the kids. Is there anything else I'm missing out on by buying a transporter over a caravelle?

ta..
Probably not much help but VW did do factory fitted optional rear windows on the Kombi - I bought mine as a one year old demonstrator from a main dealer. It gives the extra light for our dogs but only has the two rows of seats. The dog crates fit in neatly and are held secure against the second row of seats. Sound proofing and insulation was straightforward and something to do during lockdown.

thanks all! Good to hear!

I got the forester as an upgrade to a LR defender - my third over about 12 years, each one newer and worse than the one before, not going to be buying a JLR car again! [except that soft top series 2a I've always promised myself, when I have a barn to store it in...]

Reactions: CAB
thanks all! Good to hear!

I got the forester as an upgrade to a LR defender - my third over about 12 years, each one newer and worse than the one before, not going to be buying a JLR car again! [except that soft top series 2a I've always promised myself, when I have a barn to store it in...]
Whatever you do, you'll regret getting rid of your Forester!
I had a 2004 2.5XT for many years - still miss it (although I could only manage around 25 - 27MPG with careful driving).

Whatever you do, you'll regret getting rid of your Forester!
I had a 2004 2.5XT for many years - still miss it (although I could only manage around 25 - 27MPG with careful driving).

Fancy another one? I know of a nice 2013 premium about to go on the market.. :D

ta..
In all honesty I love my van but you will NEVER get 8 years of trouble free motoring from a transporter in my opinion. Buy a trailer and keep the Subaru! I’m actually considering selling my T5.1 to buy a forester or legacy make of that what you will.

Back