• No

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

cgtmiles

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I’ve just realised I have put my keys in the washing machine!:mad:

Who reckons they will still work when they come out?image.jpg

I am pleased they didn’t get a wash but there is a part of me that really wants to know if they would have worked after but not enough to put it in there on purpose!

Contrary to what you might think, modern electronic components are mostly waterproof, provided its not powered up and dried out fairly soon after the dunking there are usually no ill effects. What does do damage is salt (of any form) and being powered whilst damp. Salt or saline solution (which includes most washing products) corrodes component leads and PCB traces badly, and quite quickly. There are much stronger hygroscopic options than rice but check the label - some dessicants are salt based (sulphates).
If for example you spilled a cup of coffee into your PC keyboard, the recommended practice is to rinse it under a tap until every trace of coffee is gone, shake off any excess water then dry it thoroughly. Chances are it will be fine. We've rescued mobile phones from toilet bowls, tv remotes from aquariums... the key thing is to resist trying it out until its thoroughly clean & dry.

Last edited by a moderator:
The key blade and passive immobiliser chip should work as they’re glass encased RFID chips. The remote may be slightly sketchy though as the surface mount components don’t like the combination of water, soap and agitation.

I’ve fixed a Nokia 3110 that was under the sea for some time off Southsea pier. Just needed a new screen and the boards/connectors cleaned, but I’ve tried to fix an iPhone that had been on a wash cycle and that was well dead. Used a few bits as spares and that’s it.

I have put mine through from my work shorts.
Still worked after I put it in the airing cupboard.
However my girlfriend did the same the following week and it no longer works.

I'm open to ideas...

The key blade and passive immobiliser chip should work as they’re glass encased RFID chips. The remote may be slightly sketchy though as the surface mount components don’t like the combination of water, soap and agitation.

I’ve fixed a Nokia 3110 that was under the sea for some time off Southsea pier. Just needed a new screen and the boards/connectors cleaned, but I’ve tried to fix an iPhone that had been on a wash cycle and that was well dead. Used a few bits as spares and that’s it.
I managed to dunk the bottom half of my iPhone 6 in a hot tub and the screen went funny and the button and bottom of the touch screen stopped working. So I had to relearn how to use it without those functioning! Not easy but gradually most of the function came back.

I now have an iPhone XR which I think is water resistant but I’m not gonna try washing it just in case!

I have put mine through from my work shorts.
Still worked after I put it in the airing cupboard.
However my girlfriend did the same the following week and it no longer works.

I'm open to ideas...
Tumble dryer ;)

TBH, I thought the battery or the battery terminals would be a issue (I assume they have abutton battery in) but no one has mentioned the batteries as a weak point. It could be worth trying though

Tumble dryer ;)

TBH, I thought the battery or the battery terminals would be a issue (I assume they have abutton battery in) but no one has mentioned the batteries as a weak point. It could be worth trying though

Oh thanks. I'll whack it in the dryer after work
Keep you all posted

My friends wife thought it would be a good idea to hide the various car keys when they went on holiday. She hid them in the microwave with the door slightly ajar.

The timer was showing 5 seconds, whilst away the cleaners came and closed the microwave door and gave the whole bunch of keys a 5 second zap.
When my friends came back from holiday surprisingly none of the key fobs worked :laugh:

Large insurance claim was required.

Keys on mixed wash, phones on delicates!

We bought some outside lights at the camping and caravanning show this year and I’ve just found the remote outside in the rain! I can confirm that it is NOT water resistant. I took the battery out and water dropped out. Maybe need to change the thread title now

Really sorry but, you've opened a Poll. Under EU law you must carry out the Poll to completion within 2 days.
You're going to have to put the key into the washing machine in order to provide an answer to those members who voted in the Poll. This will not only fulfil the site's legal obligations but, also, we want to know what happens if we accidentality wash our own keys.

EU law?
I have held a vote and decided that the voters were not properly informed and therefore will not honour the result but instead take the advice of the experts!
:slow rofl:

I am pleased they didn’t get a wash but there is a part of me that really wants to know if they would have worked after but not enough to put it in there on purpose!
that's why i am here, hoping to find a solutio. no they do not work even after being in my pocket on a kayak 1 hr cruise. the second key went in washing machine and also do not work. so be carefull with the keys and water. they do not do well together.

Not a chance of it working, but don’t bin it. I just cannibalised two dead car keys to make one good one.

Back