Key Broken from fob

David Breed

T6 Pro
Afternoon all, just wondering if anyone has had there key break from the fob and what course of action you took to remedy the problem. I have for now glued it open for now.

Thanks

Dave

The common problem for these is to snap on the pin the metal key separates, this happened to me in the past and i tried using a couple of the replacement keyfobs you find online quite cheaply thinking i could put the old key into the new fob but i couldnt get one that fitted, the aftermarket fobs use a slightly different sized blade and just dont work

I bit the bullet in the end and bought a replacement key

Last edited:
We had a broken blade on the Polo's key. I bought a blank from Timpsons for £40. They cut the blade, then programming was just a matter of pressing the unlock button, opening the drivers door with the key, then turning on the ignition.

They stock the regular VW 3 button keys, so if that's what you have, it might just work.

Mine had a crack in, I managed to buy a replacement off eBay and swap the electrics and blade over, cost me about £10

The common problem for these is to snap on the pin the metal key separates, this happened to me in the past and i tried using a couple of the replacement keyfobs you find online quite cheaply thinking i could put the old key into the new fob but i couldnt get one that fitted, the aftermarket fobs use a slightly different sized blade and just dont work

I bit the bullet in the end and bought a replacement key
The same happened to me.

Bought a cloan key off eBay.

Tried swapping the guts...

It all went sideways.

Had to buy new genuine key in the end from VW, plus programming.

Reactions: mmi
I had key cover on my insurance.... I ended up getting two new keys. The programming was paid for once and one key holder from nissan (ordered in) they then programmed second key for free. Worth a shout perhaps. Like other I also have an eBay Jobbie. Rubbish, would not seal properly so actually held together with a cable tie as well. (Hyundai). Sure all the same.

Back