Valvoline Oil / Millers

cy294

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Happy New Year all.

Will be doing a full service on our van within next few weeks. On the last one, I used the Quantum longlife oil.

Anybody had experience with Valvoline or Miller's oils?

Thanks all..

The Millers is good, made in Yorkshire. The Valvoline is good, as is the Castrol. I also rate Fuchs as well which made the Quantum used by the OP.

To be honest, as long as it is a good reputable brand, meets or exceeds the right specs for the vehicle, you are good to go.

Cheers,

Guy

The Millers is good, made in Yorkshire. The Valvoline is good, as is the Castrol. I also rate Fuchs as well which made the Quantum used by the OP.

To be honest, as long as it is a good reputable brand, meets or exceeds the right specs for the vehicle, you are good to go.

Cheers,

Guy
Guy,

Do you still offer discount codes for car clubs or are all your products generally discounted?

Happy customer of Opie Oils!!

Ian

Hi Ian,

Yes we do still offer club discounts. Things are not the same as they were back in the day with forums. Times have changed, social media, companies buying up all the forums and ruining them, but we still offer it.

We generally have some form of discout on our website going on, either a general offer on everything of more specific offers on certain ranges, products etc so always keep an eye out.

I can also offer this forum discount, use the code T6FORUM at the checkout for 10% off anything and everthing.

Cheers,

Guy

Thanks for all the replies. Been on the Opie Oils website and what a find! Never new it existed.

One question though, when you make up your own service kit and select the oils you want. It gives 7 litres. However I thought the T6 took 7.4 litres or have I read wrong

You are correct, the extra half fills the empty oil filter, so buy a 1L bottle (or 2x4L) as well and whatever is leftover you keep for a top up between service.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. Been on the Opie Oils website and what a find! Never new it existed.

One question though, when you make up your own service kit and select the oils you want. It gives 7 litres. However I thought the T6 took 7.4 litres or have I read wrong
Which T6 do you have? I will get the capacity updated.

Cheers,

Guy

So I'm coming up to my 2nd DIY oil change (1st using Castrol Edge) and I thought I'd do some research.
Found some youtube vids by Piotr Tester.

I'm not sure what to make of it. I understand the principle of him testing the friction between metals but not sure how well this realtes to real life engine wear.
Anyhows I then found his Motor Oil Comparison page on google docs.
This guy is obviously passonate about oil!

Interestingly the Fuchs oil shown in the video above scored really well in his tests compared to other oils that also meet the VW 507 spec as recommended in this and other oil threads on here.

So I've bagged myself 15 litres of the Fuchs for £80.97 delivered on eBay which is enough to do 2 full oil changes.
Happy days.

A bit worried about it coming in the faff of a wine box as mentioned by @Paynewright in this thread but for a tad over £40 per oil change I'm sure I'll manage.
Luckily I've got an empty 10l adblue drum which I'll use for disposing the old oil so at least I won't have to faff about getting it into a wine bag.

So what do we thing about these tests? Fact or friction? :p:sneaky:

I think frequent oil/filter changes is key, especially if you DIY like you are.

I’m not quite convinced we need the best oil money can buy for a 2.0 diesel.

But one day I’ll run my Mustang GT500 on Millers/Fuchs/Mobil1 etc.

*lottery win required

I think frequent oil/filter changes is key, especially if you DIY like you are.

I’m not quite convinced we need the best oil money can buy for a 2.0 diesel.

But one day I’ll run my Mustang GT500 on Millers/Fuchs/Mobil1 etc.

*lottery win required
Totally agree, I've previously run two cars to over 200K miles by changing the oil and filter more frequently than specified and using any oil that met the required spec, often Halfords own or whatever was easy to obtain and cheap. Neither car ever had any engine issues.

So I'm coming up to my 2nd DIY oil change (1st using Castrol Edge) and I thought I'd do some research.
Found some youtube vids by Piotr Tester.

I'm not sure what to make of it. I understand the principle of him testing the friction between metals but not sure how well this realtes to real life engine wear.
Anyhows I then found his Motor Oil Comparison page on google docs.
This guy is obviously passonate about oil!

Interestingly the Fuchs oil shown in the video above scored really well in his tests compared to other oils that also meet the VW 507 spec as recommended in this and other oil threads on here.

So I've bagged myself 15 litres of the Fuchs for £80.97 delivered on eBay which is enough to do 2 full oil changes.
Happy days.

A bit worried about it coming in the faff of a wine box as mentioned by @Paynewright in this thread but for a tad over £40 per oil change I'm sure I'll manage.
Luckily I've got an empty 10l adblue drum which I'll use for disposing the old oil so at least I won't have to faff about getting it into a wine bag.

So what do we thing about these tests? Fact or friction? :p:sneaky:
Fuchs is a great oil, so you will have nothing but good results using it.

However, your suspicion of the test relating to real life engine wear is well founded. The test itself is a copy of the Falex test machine, also known as the "One arm bandit". If you google "one arm bandit falex" you will see all about it and how it has been debunked. The test itself bears no resemblance what so ever as to what happens from an oil persepctive inside and engine. If you have metal to metal contact like that going on, there are far bigger problems and it probably would not be running at all! The test is often used at shows to demonstrate oil additives, by reducing friction etc, but means nothing, looks impressive and hopefully they will make a sale of their magic additive.

Cheers,

Guy

Cheers,

Guy
Just purchased 8 litres of Fuchs TITAN GT1 PRO C-3 XTL 5W-30 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil from Opie oils, ready for an oil change. Had a discount code too, so a bonus as well.

Back