Oil filter housing

davebond101

I have just installed what was sold as an OEM oil filter. Once the engine is up to temperature there is a weep of oil from the screw top. Or that is what it strongly looks like as it's from above the oil cooler. I have installed new seals but my question is are they all equal in quality. It is suprising with new seals it keeps. I have been careful not to over tighten it, but others might have not. Didn't look damaged when removing it.

Second question

Oil filter is marked with "top". I am assuming this is physically top as in if you could see the writing looking in from the bonnet. This was how the old one was installed.

First time servicing this t6 but plenty of experience with a T2 and other vehicles.

did you replace the rubber O ring on the filter housing? - thats normally what leaks.

got a pic?

Can you get just the o rings? The filter is only a few weeks old. I assume as it's high up it can be done without draining oil. Also I assume top on the filter is physically up. So if you look down onto this and could see the writing you would see the words top? Just checking as that was how it was installed, but may be wrong.

cross threaded oil cap?

dirt on the threads?

over tightened?

cracked cap?

the o rings normally come with the filter.

+++++++++++

maybe try swapping for the correct OEM filter and o rings. - to test, and keep that one for a later date.~?

Oil Filter 2.png

As I understand it (not this type of filter on my van) When you unscrew the filter cap, any oil in the filter drains into the sump, so it should be OK to remove and check for any faults on the O ring or debris causing the seal not to seal.

Can you get just the o rings? The filter is only a few weeks old. I assume as it's high up it can be done without draining oil. Also I assume top on the filter is physically up. So if you look down onto this and could see the writing you would see the words top? Just checking as that was how it was installed, but may be wrong.
Just unscrew the the cap, but don't remove it. Leave it sitting for a few minutes and the oil will drain into the sump.

Yes, top should physically be at the top like you say. I would just get a new filter and try the new o rings on. OEM, then you know it's spot on, or a good quality Mann filter.

Leaking wise, got to be dirt, damaged seal or cap

Ta for the advice. New mann one on order, see if this resolves it. Will give it a good look over and clean before fitting. Just one of those annoying things with a new part I suppose.

Just a quick question, where did you put the top o-ring (biggest) if you put it right up to the lip it will leak, it sits in a grove just a bit below.

I know this because I did it last year :rolleyes:,I made sure I got it right last weekend.Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 11.59.15.png

Last edited:
Back