Utilising Spare Fuse Slots

Discussion in 'Electrics, Lighting, ICE, Security' started by Eddie Sutherland, 5 Aug 2018.

1. Eddie Sutherland

Eddie Sutherland Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Hi Guys,

I have been running a couple of electrical items in the van that require ign and perm power. My fuse board has some spare ways that just require the out feed and fuse to be installed To,allow,them to be utilised. Dose any one know if this is Likley to cause any issues with canbus and the type of conector I will require.

Thanks in advance
    Eddie

2. Pauly

Pauly Senior Member VCDS User Admin Moderator

Map
    No it’s fine have added several myself
    You just need the correct crimp on the end and it slots right in
    The dash one is a bit fiddly to get too as you need to remove the lower dash to remove the fusebox to get at the rear of the fusebox (which has a plastic cover on it the back)

3. Eddie Sutherland

Thanks for getting back so quick Pauly. Do you know the type of crimp required by chance or is going to be easier getting a repair wire.

4. Pauly

Map
  5. Eddie Sutherland

Thanks Pauly,

I have a big bag of these little buggers thanks for the information.

Cheers
    Eddie

6. Pauly

Map
    Just to go a little sideways I was a bit annoyed how ackward it is to release the fusebox and get wires into the rear so utilising the idea another member put me onto I bought the towbar additional fusebox kit, although it’s designed to go under the seat and wire to the engine bay it’s the same as the fuse boxes you get in caravelles and California’s that sit adjacent to the dash fusebox i just cut the cable short and put it into a spare full size fuse slot on a 40A fuse and use this for additional wiring
    It still needs the lower dash trim removed but it’s only held in with a plastic clip which is easy to release and swings out to the side for any future adjustments, I have my dash cam and B2B signal etc running from there

andys and Eddie Sutherland like this.
  7. Eddie Sutherland

I have a spare 6 way fuse board with LEDs that indicate blown fuse, now contemplating fitting this under passenger seat for any further additions required. I have four at the fuse board that will now live there two perm and two ign lives these can be added to the board and whilst in there will run a wire from the one of the spare largebfuse ways as suggested to under passenger seat to feed new fuse board.

Pauly likes this.
  8. Eddie Sutherland

Just ordered some thanks Pauly the ones I have are the terminals with the pins and squares.

9. andys

andys Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

Do you have any photos of this setup? I have too many piggyback fuses in there that I've been meaning to do something about for a while and this sounds like a good solution.

10. Pauly

Map
    I don’t at the moment mate was under pressure on time when doing it but it’s not finished still have a couple cables to finish coiled up in dash so will take some snaps next week

andys likes this.
  11. WheelieBealie

WheelieBealie Professional pasty muncher VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    @Pauly @andys I've now also got far too many piggybacks coming into my fusebox (dashcam - live & switched live) powered subwoofer - live & switched live) and a switched live for my DC-DC leisure battery charger. Do you happen to have a link to the additional fusebox kit you used?

12. Dellmassive

Dellmassive 204 T32 DSG LWB SPORTLINE PV MY18 VCDS User Moderator VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    i used these from the forum shop . . . . . Four Genuine Volkswagen Crimp Connectors For Stereo Quadlock / Fusebox

to add extra circuits to the existing fuse box:

[​IMG]

and
    [​IMG]

and

as detailed over here> Barn Door Reversing Camera Retrofit -- How I Done It --

you need to drop the fusebox down,
    remove the purple locking bar,
    look for spare slots that have the bus-bar,
    choose perm or switched banks,
    crimp new end onto cable,
    insert into spare slots,
    refit purple lock bar,
    refit fusebox,
    test circuit,
    label circuit,

WheelieBealie likes this.
  13. WheelieBealie

WheelieBealie Professional pasty muncher VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    Cheers @Dellmassive

I've got another 9 weeks of redundancy based gardening leave left before I can start my new job so plenty of time to strip that lower dash out... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Dellmassive likes this.