Utilising Spare Fuse Slots

Eddie Sutherland

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi Guys,

I have been running a couple of electrical items in the van that require ign and perm power. My fuse board has some spare ways that just require the out feed and fuse to be installed To,allow,them to be utilised. Dose any one know if this is Likley to cause any issues with canbus and the type of conector I will require.

Thanks in advance
Eddie

No it’s fine have added several myself
You just need the correct crimp on the end and it slots right in
The dash one is a bit fiddly to get too as you need to remove the lower dash to remove the fusebox to get at the rear of the fusebox (which has a plastic cover on it the back)

Thanks for getting back so quick Pauly. Do you know the type of crimp required by chance or is going to be easier getting a repair wire.

Thanks Pauly,

I have a big bag of these little buggers thanks for the information.

Cheers
Eddie

Just to go a little sideways I was a bit annoyed how ackward it is to release the fusebox and get wires into the rear so utilising the idea another member put me onto I bought the towbar additional fusebox kit, although it’s designed to go under the seat and wire to the engine bay it’s the same as the fuse boxes you get in caravelles and California’s that sit adjacent to the dash fusebox i just cut the cable short and put it into a spare full size fuse slot on a 40A fuse and use this for additional wiring
It still needs the lower dash trim removed but it’s only held in with a plastic clip which is easy to release and swings out to the side for any future adjustments, I have my dash cam and B2B signal etc running from there

I have a spare 6 way fuse board with LEDs that indicate blown fuse, now contemplating fitting this under passenger seat for any further additions required. I have four at the fuse board that will now live there two perm and two ign lives these can be added to the board and whilst in there will run a wire from the one of the spare largebfuse ways as suggested to under passenger seat to feed new fuse board.

Just to go a little sideways I was a bit annoyed how ackward it is to release the fusebox and get wires into the rear so utilising the idea another member put me onto I bought the towbar additional fusebox kit, although it’s designed to go under the seat and wire to the engine bay it’s the same as the fuse boxes you get in caravelles and California’s that sit adjacent to the dash fusebox i just cut the cable short and put it into a spare full size fuse slot on a 40A fuse and use this for additional wiring
It still needs the lower dash trim removed but it’s only held in with a plastic clip which is easy to release and swings out to the side for any future adjustments, I have my dash cam and B2B signal etc running from there
Do you have any photos of this setup? I have too many piggyback fuses in there that I've been meaning to do something about for a while and this sounds like a good solution.

I don’t at the moment mate was under pressure on time when doing it but it’s not finished still have a couple cables to finish coiled up in dash so will take some snaps next week

@Pauly @andys I've now also got far too many piggybacks coming into my fusebox (dashcam - live & switched live) powered subwoofer - live & switched live) and a switched live for my DC-DC leisure battery charger. Do you happen to have a link to the additional fusebox kit you used?

i used these from the forum shop . . . . . Four Genuine Volkswagen Crimp Connectors For Stereo Quadlock / Fusebox

to add extra circuits to the existing fuse box:

20190709_130532-jpg.46798

and
20190709_130611-jpg.46800

and

as detailed over here> Barn Door Reversing Camera Retrofit -- How I Done It --

you need to drop the fusebox down,
remove the purple locking bar,
look for spare slots that have the bus-bar,
choose perm or switched banks,
crimp new end onto cable,
insert into spare slots,
refit purple lock bar,
refit fusebox,
test circuit,
label circuit,

insert into spare slots,
refit purple lock bar,
refit fusebox,
test circuit,
label circuit,

Cheers @Dellmassive

I've got another 9 weeks of redundancy based gardening leave left before I can start my new job so plenty of time to strip that lower dash out... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sorry for reviving an old thread but could anyone please attach a link or two for the type of crimps required for tidying up my fuse box that's got more piggy tails than a pig abattoir. I have been searching searching on the forum but all the links on here go to the 'oops cant find that page'
Ideally I would like for both the mini and large fuse crimps that fit in from the back of the oem box
Cheers in advance!

both the mini and large fuse crimps that fit in from the back of the oem box
Perhaps here:

Perhaps here:
Thank you!

It’s the standard VW pincer type crimps
Single pincer for small blade fuses and double for the larger blade fuses

There’s a picture in the shop of the standard smaller ones but I have the larger ones also if you get stuck

Four Genuine Volkswagen Crimp Connectors For Stereo Quadlock / Fusebox

Part # of smaller crimps repair wire for fuse box C middle lane - 000979133E
I got these SUTOMOTIV 3x Part Number 000979133E Repair Wire Cable Harness Fix Connector Plug Terminal 2 3 4 Pin 50cm LV242 : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

i used these from the forum shop . . . . . Four Genuine Volkswagen Crimp Connectors For Stereo Quadlock / Fusebox

to add extra circuits to the existing fuse box:

20190709_130532-jpg.46798

and
20190709_130611-jpg.46800

and

as detailed over here> Barn Door Reversing Camera Retrofit -- How I Done It --

insert into spare slots,
refit purple lock bar,
refit fusebox,
test circuit,
label circuit,

I'm thinking of wiring my dashcam directly into this fuse box, do you know where I can get the crimps from?

Thanks.

Back