Underslung Gas Tank, Bbq Point And Fitting

Neilson

Precision Engineer
VIP Member
T6 Pro
I've now decided that I'm only going to fit a single burner in the camper as after speaking to a few people I'm going to get a Cadac and cook outside.

What I'd like to do is fit an under floor tank and fit a BBQ point near the side door as well as connect it to the single burner in side.

Does anyone have any recommendations for any of this kit or pointers on where best to fit it?

Talk to Propex Leisure in Ringwood. They supply the tanks and systems for other companies to fit so are probably the best folk to go to. I am down there on the 23rd having a tank, heater and BBQ point fitted.

I had mine fitted by my converter, but it's a propex tank and controller as far as I remember.
It's been great - worked really well cooking externally on a cadac with the gas point.

Had our setup fitted by Propex in Ringwood last week.

Heater, Undermount LPG Tank & BBQ Point all fitted in a morning.

Give Billy a call & he;ll talk you through it - 0333 011 0488

Cost - £1300

Great thanks guys, they are a 2 minute walk from my house! Never knew what they did. I assume you can run a standard smev hob off the tanks?

I have an LPG tank but don't want another cut out through van wall for a bbq point can this be run from the tank under the van to a point on the underside of the van ? Any suggestions welcome thanks

We have an LPG underslung tank fitted by Propex. Our BBQ point is under the rear bumper.

For info Propex also do an underslug LPG heater, so if you having a propex underslung tank this may make sense for you. We have one. From memory I believe it is the Propex HS2211

We have an LPG underslung tank fitted by Propex. Our BBQ point is under the rear bumper.

For info Propex also do an underslug LPG heater, so if you having a propex underslung tank this may make sense for you. We have one. From memory I believe it is the Propex HS2211
Thanks for the guidance. I have a diesel heater fitted already but want hot water for tap and external shower. Dose your bbq point fix to a plate under the bumper with a bayonet socket or is it a hose fitting? Also does an underslung LPG affect campervan insurance in any way?

I attach a photo of my bbq point. I don't believe it has affected my insurance, i am insured as a full camper

20210214_152747_03.jpg

The square black plastic item is a dust cover on the filler point of the lpg tank. My tank, heater & bbq point were all fitted at the same time by Propex.

Had to go back to Propex either early 2020 or late 2019, as could constantly smell gas.
They couldn’t find the issue but then put the magic wand over it, and found that the pressure reducer/ regulator was leaking. They couldn’t get their heads around why as they said none had ever failed.
All sorted now and no issues since. They gave me one of the digital heating thermostats for free for my troubles.

Anyone had a gas fitter refuse to cert due to "not enough ventilation"? I have approached a local fitter requiring just a suitable tank to run two burners inside and possibly a barby point at the back... Seems that 9 out of 10 fitters fail the inspection due to the afore mentioned vent issue.... Can somebody put me straight.

Anyone had a gas fitter refuse to cert due to "not enough ventilation"? I have approached a local fitter requiring just a suitable tank to run two burners inside and possibly a barby point at the back... Seems that 9 out of 10 fitters fail the inspection due to the afore mentioned vent issue.... Can somebody put me straight.
Could it be a lack of drop out vent, this is a permanently open grill in the floor. LPG is heavier than air so if a leak occurs it should be able to vent out of the van at the lowest point.
I believe it’s good practice to have one in the sealed locker where the cylinder is stored and another in the open area floor.
The internal air space on a loaded Transporter is extremely small and hence it quickly becomes very dangerous in the event of a gas leak and / or carbon monoxide build up.
One of the reasons I opted for a Wallas XC Duo diesel cooker / heater.

Could it be a lack of drop out vent, this is a permanently open grill in the floor. LPG is heavier than air so if a leak occurs it should be able to vent out of the van at the lowest point.
I believe it’s good practice to have one in the sealed locker where the cylinder is stored and another in the open area floor.
The internal air space on a loaded Transporter is extremely small and hence it quickly becomes very dangerous in the event of a gas leak and / or carbon monoxide build up.
One of the reasons I opted for a Wallas XC Duo diesel cooker / heater.
Thanks buddy but I'm planning on having the tank fitted outside (under the van) so any escape of air will go straight to atmosphere. Unless of course the would want a vent inside the van too in case of leaks in the pipe work....

Just got round to using our Propex BBQ point, and I’m finding the quick release coupling isn’t as strong as I’d expect it to be (it grasps the end that fits on to the Cadac better than it does the male end of the hose).
Propex at Ringwood tell me this is normal - can anyone else advise? A slight pull and the hose is free.

Could someone please advise where I could purchase an under rear bumper bbq outlet? Also, can I just run copper pipe from 907 bottle in van, through the floor and back to this rear bumper outlet? Trying to avoid the underslung lpg cost

Could someone please advise where I could purchase an under rear bumper bbq outlet? Also, can I just run copper pipe from 907 bottle in van, through the floor and back to this rear bumper outlet? Trying to avoid the underslung lpg cost
On my installation, from the internal gas rings to the underslung Propex supplied cylinder this was used:

1658231206206.png

Bent with these type of pipe benders:

1658231696057.png

From the underslung cylinder to the rear BBQ QRC connection, this was the type of stainless steel overbraided hose (suitable for gas) used:

1658231320303.png

Back