Under Van Gas Cylinder - Is It Worth It?

I looked at the underslung LPG option when specifying our conversion. Seemed a convenient and cheap way of obtaining gas. However, the declining availability of LPG in the UK and stories I also read about complications in France, put me off a bit. So I ended up keeping it simple and sticking with the Camping Gaz 907 cylinder. I know the gas itself is pricier but it’s available everywhere we are likely to need it and a fair number of canisters will be required before I reach the price of installing the underslung LPG tank.

I looked at the underslung LPG option when specifying our conversion. Seemed a convenient and cheap way of obtaining gas. However, the declining availability of LPG in the UK and stories I also read about complications in France, put me off a bit. So I ended up keeping it simple and sticking with the Camping Gaz 907 cylinder. I know the gas itself is pricier but it’s available everywhere we are likely to need it and a fair number of canisters will be required before I reach the price of installing the underslung LPG tank.
I had originally ordered one for my new camper, but there's no doubt that since the big players have withdrawn autogas from their forecourts, finding suppliers will be a bit hit and miss, with just a handful of independents remaining. Their equipment will also be old, (as is Shell's - one of their justifications for removal) and I doubt they'll want to install new tanks and ancillary equipment to comply with current regulations. After some thought and discussion with the converter, I decided to stick with the safe but bulky option of 907s.

I had originally ordered one for my new camper, but there's no doubt that since the big players have withdrawn autogas from their forecourts, finding suppliers will be a bit hit and miss, with just a handful of independents remaining. Their equipment will also be old, (as is Shell's - one of their justifications for removal) and I doubt they'll want to install new tanks and ancillary equipment to comply with current regulations. After some thought and discussion with the converter, I decided to stick with the safe but bulky option of 907s.
Yep, very valid points.

Exactly the same thought process and conclusion as me.

Back