Gas Certification

baddevotions

T6 Pro
Hey all,

i am looking to get my van a gas certificate as i want to rent it out. But i am struggling to find anyone who can actually do this. I've tried a couple of local converters who say they can do the gas install (locker etc), but the minute i mention certificate they say nothing doing. I've also looked at the Gas safe register for people who do, "CARAVANS - Pipework LAV LPG (Core)" and again nothing doing. Lots of "sorry mate, we can't do that" or "Sorry mate we are too busy". I am even trying to divide and conquer so that i get the engineer to certify and the conversion company to do the actual work. But still nothing doing.

Any advice or anything would be useful. I am based in/around chorley so somewhere local to me who can help would be amazing!

thanks

I think you need a habitation cert and that covers the gas install, google may help to find a dealer local to you.

Try joining one of the caravan clubs, they’ll fill your letterbox with junk mail but you might get access to a certification engineer. Obviously enquire before hand.

I found this on the internet and have called 5 engineers and so far nothing. (See step 8:: FREE Safety Guide to the Campervan Gas Regulations Uk) The only exception is one chap who said they'd check with the Gas Safe register themselves. He said he could do boats and statics but thought that campers are different.

good shout on the caravan clubs. i actually just cancelled the campervan and caravan club for that very reason.

Most mobile or workshop gas engineers will inspect oyur system and sign off if up to regs or advise what to do if not before they sign off.

Thanks for the reply. Maybe it's a case of just continuing through the list of gas engineers. So far my experience is most won't touch it rather than most will inspect and sign off/make recommendations.

Thanks for the reply. Maybe it's a case of just continuing through the list of gas engineers. So far my experience is most won't touch it rather than most will inspect and sign off/make recommendations.
could be that they know it will likely not pass. Try Chorley gas, they supply gas bottles so may be able to recommend someone

it's a long shot, but worth a try. Will check again in the morning.

I would prefer to find someone to install and certify, but that doesn't seem to be a goer either. I actually got this response from one of the local conversion companies, "There is no such thing as a gas safe certificate in a moving vehicle." And goes on to talk about habitation checks.

Try

Flexigas,​

13 Den Hill Drive
Springhead
OLDHAM
Lancashire
OL4 4NR

or

The Growth Company​

Address​

Lee House
90 Great Bridgewater Street
MANCHESTER
Lancashire
M1 5JW

Telephone​

0161 876 3300

Both are gas safe registered and carry out boat and caravan work​

I found this online if it is of any interest, applies to UK ONLY!

Page 16
5) Nothing in these Regulations shall apply in relation to the supply of gas to, or anything done in respect of a gas fitting on –
(a) a self-propelled vehicle except when such vehicle is –
(i) hired out in the course of a business; or
(ii) made available to members of the public in the course of a
business carried on from that vehicle;
(b) a sea-going ship;
(c) a vessel not requiring a national or international load line certificate except when such a vessel is –
(i) hired out in the course of a business;
business carried out from that vessel; or
(iii) used primarily for domestic or residential purposes;
(d) a hovercraft; or
(e) a caravan used for touring otherwise than when hired out in the course
of a business.

Page 20
Self-propelled vehicles
71 Self-propelled vehicles hired out to, or frequented by, the public in the course of a business, eg motor caravans, are also covered. However, the tanks and associated fittings of any natural gas or LPG-powered vehicles are excluded under regulation 2(6)(a), eg ‘work’ on such fittings is not covered (but other safety controls may apply in these circumstances – see paragraphs 79–80).

and there’s probably more!

My van came with a cert supplied by a boat gas company after the conversion. Try your local boat yard

I found this online if it is of any interest, applies to UK ONLY!

Page 16
5) Nothing in these Regulations shall apply in relation to the supply of gas to, or anything done in respect of a gas fitting on –
(a) a self-propelled vehicle except when such vehicle is –
(i) hired out in the course of a business; or
business carried on from that vehicle;
(b) a sea-going ship;
(c) a vessel not requiring a national or international load line certificate except when such a vessel is –
(i) hired out in the course of a business;
business carried out from that vessel; or
(iii) used primarily for domestic or residential purposes;
(d) a hovercraft; or
(e) a caravan used for touring otherwise than when hired out in the course
of a business.

Page 20
Self-propelled vehicles
71 Self-propelled vehicles hired out to, or frequented by, the public in the course of a business, eg motor caravans, are also covered. However, the tanks and associated fittings of any natural gas or LPG-powered vehicles are excluded under regulation 2(6)(a), eg ‘work’ on such fittings is not covered (but other safety controls may apply in these circumstances – see paragraphs 79–80).

and there’s probably more!
5) a) (i) and (ii) seem pretty clear to me that regs apply. Thanks for that.

... and thanks all for the updates/advice. I've finally managed to track down a) a team to install gas locker, regulator and drop vent and b) and engineer who can certify :) happy days

Back