Add an external gas point to an existing van?

JaiCee

Has anyone done this before? We'd really like one for our BBQ to avoid bringing another cylinder along. Our gas bottle is in a kitchen cupboard rather than at the back which I imagine would have made it easier.

Also does anyone know of a company in the East of England (Cambridgeshire) who might be able to do it?

Just resurrecting this thread to see if you found a solution?

Collected my van last week and it has the usual gas bottle cupboard near the tailgate. To save carrying two gas bottles for a LP Cadac I’m wondering how straightforward it would be to add a Bullfinch gas point below the shower point. IMG_8254.jpeg

Just resurrecting this thread to see if you found a solution?

Collected my van last week and it has the usual gas bottle cupboard near the tailgate. To save carrying two gas bottles for a LP Cadac I’m wondering how straightforward it would be to add a Bullfinch gas point below the shower point. View attachment 197806
Maybe now is the time to get a refillable bottle too? Gaslow sell kits and have various options for external BBQs etc. They might also have a tech department whose brains you can pick or who can recommend local fitters?

Maybe now is the time to get a refillable bottle too? Gaslow sell kits and have various options for external BBQs etc. They might also have a tech department whose brains you can pick or who can recommend local fitters?
Thanks for the suggestion! Turns out Gaslow (who I had not heard of) are just around the corner from me in Loughborough. I will check them out

It seems feasible to me that a bbq point could be tee’d of the post regulator pipe in the cupboard but I will take some advice especially with it being gas!

You could also consider fitting a quick release connector to your gas bottle hose which would let you swap in an external BBQ easily.

Or as an alternative try one of these… we used to have an external gas point in the caravan. But in the T6 we use one of these… excellent bit of kit

This is the Cadac I’m planning on getting, but I want to be able to somehow connect to the bottle in the van rather than getting a second cylinder or having to remove it each time.
I have seen the canister versions but read that they don’t get hot enough to bbq on.

This is the Cadac I’m planning on getting, but I want to be able to somehow connect to the bottle in the van rather than getting a second cylinder or having to remove it each time.
I have seen the canister versions but read that they don’t get hot enough to bbq on.
I don’t know what canister they were using for it not to get hot enough but mine works absolutely fine with standard Coleman C500 canisters. If anything it runs a bit too hot and I nearly always have it on the lowest setting for cooking. I’ve had it crammed with food for 8 people and it cooks brilliantly. The cartridges last a good few hours and I like the fact I can place it anywhere rather than being tied to the van. I have a couple of different regulators so I can use the 907 bottle or Campingas cartridges if I need to. Maybe get the Cadac and see how you get on with the cartridges and put a gas point in at a later date if you still feel the need.

I don’t know what canister they were using for it not to get hot enough but mine works absolutely fine with standard Coleman C500 canisters. If anything it runs a bit too hot and I nearly always have it on the lowest setting for cooking. I’ve had it crammed with food for 8 people and it cooks brilliantly. The cartridges last a good few hours and I like the fact I can place it anywhere rather than being tied to the van. I have a couple of different regulators so I can use the 907 bottle or Campingas cartridges if I need to. Maybe get the Cadac and see how you get on with the cartridges and put a gas point in at a later date if you still feel the need.
Ah, I was under the impression you had to pick the regulator to gas bottle or gas canister option when you buy the Cadac and that they’re different (LP pipe and regulator vs HP EN417 cartridge version) but maybe I’ve misunderstood.

The heat level was my main concern in terms of not going down the cartridge route so it’s interesting to hear your feedback that it’s ok. I’ve seen a free different posts complaining about the lack of heat. I can definitely see the convenience of not being tethered to the van or a large bottle though!

Ah, I was under the impression you had to pick the regulator to gas bottle or gas canister option when you buy the Cadac and that they’re different (LP pipe and regulator vs HP EN417 cartridge version) but maybe I’ve misunderstood.

The heat level was my main concern in terms of not going down the cartridge route so it’s interesting to hear your feedback that it’s ok. I’ve seen a free different posts complaining about the lack of heat. I can definitely see the convenience of not being tethered to the van or a large bottle though!
Yes, there are 2 versions. The HP version uses an EN417 cartridge that attaches directly. No regulator and only compatible with the threaded carts. Maybe it’s this version people have issues with.

The LP is more flexible and can use any butane/propane cylinder or cartridge, such as EN417, 907 (etc) or campingas depending what regulator and hose you buy (it doesn’t come with one). As it is using a regulator the flow to the burner is essentially the same regardless of source. It cooks exactly the same if I use the 907 or an EN417. Having a selection of regulators is great as it gives me portability with EN417 carts, a 907 backup if my cartridges die, allows me to use campingas if that is all that is available and allows me to use my big gas bottle at home.

We use the small canister and it is certainly hot enough. We like the flexibility of cooking away from the van, lakeside or on the beach. Try it like others have suggested before going to extra expense : ) trust me you’ll find something else to spend money on your van

This is a regulator for a small canister, https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B7NPX23Q/, I've just brought one as a stop gap as I can't find anyone to fit a BBQ point before our next trip away and it is handy for a backup anyway. I'd prefer to not have the extra gear but at least they're not too big. I also have quick connect gas fittings so it is really easy to swap from using a long hose to the gas bottle to using the little canisters.

Nowadays we have a Cadac Safari Chef Compact 30 which uses the ubiquitous (and cheap) long canisters (here:Safari Chef 30 Compact - Cadac UK ). It's plenty hot for cooking just a couple of minutes after ignition. If you're really fixed on internal or external larger cylinders, for £35 Camping Gaz also do a twin regulator (the CV/R) that can use either 904/907 or CV470 Plus cylinders (here: Campingaz Twin Connection CV/R Regulator Kit ).

Last edited:
Thanks all, definitely learnt a lot from this thread.

Ginkster must be correct, you can use disposable canisters on both the LP and HP version of the Cadac with the correct regulator (for LP) then. It’s the HP version where the canisters screw directly into the stove underneath where I’d read about issues with heat etc.

I will go with an LP version and as suggested try it out with canisters. The portability would be really good and as you say can always revert to connecting to the 907 later if needed.

Back