UK & Euro Breakdown Cover

T6 Owl

T6 Pro
Hi all,
We’re off on a bit of a road trip around France in August in the T6 and so I am looking at getting some breakdown cover.
I have UK cover via my bank account, but this doesn’t extend to Europe.
Does anyone have any recommendations?

Hi all,
We’re off on a bit of a road trip around France in August in the T6 and so I am looking at getting some breakdown cover.
I have UK cover via my bank account, but this doesn’t extend to Europe.
Does anyone have any recommendations?
I rang my insurer and added breakdown cover, I was part way through the policy so it only cost me £37 to add. Must remember to cancel it at renewal unless it’s a bargain.

I get AA with my bank acc also, but as I travel to france a lot I get yearly AA Euro breakdown for about £120.

How long are you going for? We added it to a Direct Line insurance policy when we went to France for 10 days. We did it just before we left and were able to cancel and get a full refund when we got back as we were within the first 14 days without making a claim.
Well played :thumbsup:
we’re away for nearly 3 weeks, so not sure i’d get away with it. I am going to contact my insurance provider and see what they can offer.
Cheers.

warranty/VW assist expired in June :thumbsdown:

If you ring Vw assist they may look favourable on you, as you are only just out of warranty, if it only expired last month.
To extend like for like the Vw warranty to years 4 & 5, to include UK & Europe & full recovery would be £165.00 for the 2 years
Worth a try?

To extend like for like the Vw warranty to years 4 & 5, to include UK & Europe & full recovery would be £165.00 for the 2 years
Worth a try?

Really? That is very reasonable. When my BMW warranty expired, they called and wanted £1200 to extend the warranty.

Just been in contact with VW about extending the Volkswagen Assist and got a quote of;
£99 for 1yr
£155 for 2yr

with regards to the extended warranty they generated a quote of £1,081 annually for my vehicle!!!! :eek:

Really? That is very reasonable. When my BMW warranty expired, they called and wanted £1200 to extend the warranty.

Sorry, I was getting carried away with myself.
The quote of £165.00, was for 2 years of extended Vw assist, but does not include Vw Warranty.

I extended my Vw warranty for a further 2 years or 80,000 miles (years 4 & 5) within 90 days of first registration. This cost £329.00 + VAT

Last edited:
I rang my insurer and added breakdown cover, I was part way through the policy so it only cost me £37 to add. Must remember to cancel it at renewal unless it’s a bargain.
I did this in the end, and got the European cover added to my insurance policy. As I am already half way through my policy year they only charged me £16! Result, as the cheapest single trip cover I found was £51....

I’m just looking in to this, VW Assist is in partnership with AA. They charge £109 per year which is the same as the AA, if you do it direct with AA it can be transferred to another vehicle whereas VW is locked to your VW vehicle. The helpful lady on the VW Assist phoneline even agreed that it makes sense to go direct with AA!!!

I’m just looking in to this, VW Assist is in partnership with AA. They charge £109 per year which is the same as the AA, if you do it direct with AA it can be transferred to another vehicle whereas VW is locked to your VW vehicle. The helpful lady on the VW Assist phoneline even agreed that it makes sense to go direct with AA!!!
With the AA you can change the vehicle every trip if you want, just ring before to notify them, as long as the car/van is under 11 years old

With the AA you can change the vehicle every trip if you want, just ring before to notify them, as long as the car/van is under 11 years old
I went with AA in the end. They did an annual policy for £89 which seemed pretty good to me, I already have UK AA membership through my bank account so I had to phone up to get the discounted rate, it doesn’t work through their website.

Currently have UK-only cover with Start Rescue. I've just checked and I can't include short term euro breakdown cover for my forthcoming holiday - no explanation given on the website but I'm assuming this is due to a van weight limit.
Given that I'm seeing many insurers specifically excluding vans (and vehicles over 2500kg) I'm looking for recommendations for a UK & European breakdown policy. Happy to buy an annual policy (not that far away from my current policy renewal) and I want to include home start and onward travel cover. Seems quite a few policies don't cover missfuelling but I'm Ok with that.

Looking for suggestions please.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Back